My Ranchu Babies

Lionchu

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's where I got Ruby from!!

I reckon that's the best place in Perth for goldfish. They have a whole wall devoted to goldie tanks (or including the koi - a whole back room)!!! And you can get goldfish in small, medium and large. Is there an emoticon for aaaarggghh ... I have no more space!!!

I'll just go for a look :-)

Edited by Isabella

• 1 month later...

Those are cool! :)

I have a couple of questions:

1. What percentage of your ranchu fry do you get with dorsals?

2. I noticed a few that were still fry-colored. With the ones late in changing colors, is there a particular color they will go to, or are they just late?

Thanks Alex. To answer to:

Q1. About 20 % are with bad dorsal and 7 % with good dorsal. I was told buffalo ranchus have more defective fry than other ranchu breeds.

Q2. Those are called BBRs in ranchu lingo (black baby ranchu). They are coloring slower but to what color it's anybody's guess. I still have a lot 4inch+ ranchu from last June's spawn still has not change color yet and I'm stuck with them because I can't sell them. From previous breeding experiences some started to color after a year old but no matter how long, they will eventually turn into some form of color. Why? sorry I'm no genetic expert.

Cheers

They look great! The ones that do have color, about what age did they start developing that?

Hurrdurrr never mind I see you already answered that. :peeka

Not quite, I'm just referring to those that are still uncolored. As far those colored ones are concerned, they started coloring just after 7 weeks old. Slowly loosing their green and got paler then the respective colors came thru' quite quickly, you can see a difference almost every day. But bear in mind not all breeds color at about the same time. That's why I really enjoyed breeding, you don't really know what to expect.

=o I just about died when I saw those black ranchu fry! So darn cute!

I really wish I could get my hands on one. I've never seen ranchus around here, only lionheads or some that appear to be a lionchu.

• 3 months later...

Very nice, I especially like the ranchus with dorsals.

Thanks, me too, maybe they can substitute the need of buying orandas.

Are those swirls in the algae the snail trails? Or is that how the goldfish graze on it? Very very beautiful fish, they are well spoiled in your care :)

Haha, no not snail tracks, I made them to allow new algae growth for them to graze. Thanks.

Oh wow they will grow up big and fat in there. :flex::clapping:

Thanks Koko, now it's in the middle of winter where night time temp is around 5 C but they still get very good appetite during the day....all piggies. I stop feeding them when water temp is below 10C for more than 1 day, so always have to watch weather forecast and read thermometers in tanks and ponds

They are so amazing, lionchu! If I were living in Australia, I would definitely want some of your ranchu/lionchus.

There are lots of Americans coming here to work, you can easily earn <A$100K up North in the mines, not digging..lol but mining related jobs, then you can also keep ranchus, any plans???

I just love your "Jeff-chus"! :clapping: Their environment, AND yours,looks extremely peaceful :9

Thanks Susan, how's your pond's filter make over getting on? I saw your post at GK looking at using vocanic rocks.

They are gorgeous!

Thanks Frederica, have not seen you around lately, how are you?

• 8 months later...

I thought I'll start something different. I got these Thai tvr culls from a friend. Now with me for 2 mths already. Since I've no time nor the space to raise any tvrs at the moment. I'll keep them as size view. They do look very good from the side.

Edited by lionchu