Sign in to follow this  
kortniee

Plants To Feed On Purpose

I will be going out of town fairly soon, for about a week, and I wanted to leave something for Peanut to snack on while I'm done. I know he can survive fasting for a week but, you know... just thinking about his hungry dance is making me preemptively feel sorry for him. I figured I could maybe add a plant or two for him to snack on, so if it goes uneaten, it will help rather than hurt with the nitrate issue, but if he wants to eat it, he'll have something to munch.

But I don't know what kinds of plants I should use for this purpose. Ideally it should be something that's okay with just floating around, and something that's readily available and somewhat cheap so I don't feel bad about sacrificing it. Also something that goldfish like to eat. He does not touch my java fern or my anubias. I know some people have duckweed around for their fish to eat, but I'm a bit concerned about this messing with my filter while I'm gone. Anyone have any ideas?

I don't know how readily available duckweed is where you are, but that's always a favorite, I understand...

I would suggest anacharis, it's relatively cheap, you can just float it, and supposedly goldfish like to eat it (although mine haven't touched the anacharis I put in last thursday, but I'm sure they would if I wasn't feeding them.... on fasting days they always dig into my moss ball :))

Anacharis is a great option. My goldfish reduced it to bare stems in a day so I stopped getting it. If you want, you can keep in a separate container to grow out in the sunlight and give them cuttings. My goldies also love eating vallisneria (as you can see in my avatar, lol). It's harder to do though because you need to get an established colony so they don't kill it off. It would be best if you had another planted tank with it and gave them the leaves that fall off. Duckweed is good for them too but again you'll need to keep it separate from them or already have an established colony of it or they'll eat it faster than it can grow.

My fish devoured the three Calluna pointed out. Most in less than 3 days.

I agree with alex. My favorite is duckweed. It just gives me the impression of making less mess because it floats? What the finned ones rip up NON floating stuff it becomes INSANE in there lol!

Hm, yeah that makes sense. I've read things about duckweed getting all clogged up in filters, but on further thought probably anything a fish can't swallow whole all at once would do that. Maybe I'll just rig up a stocking-mesh pre-filter on my intake while I'm gone. I think I'd rather ensure that the water can get through than have it suck up lots of stuff. I'll have to go have a look at the LFS to see what's available and looking good. All of the suggestions sound great. :)

All great suggestions above, I know mine devoured my moss balls and anacharas while I was in Florida for 10 days last year ;)

I feed mine duckweed -- they love it. I've been getting it from an ebay seller, and it lasts for a month. Unfortunately, it is messy stuff in the filter, especially right after I add it. If I had a bigger tank, it might not be so bad.

Edited by ShawneeRiver

One fun thing about duckweed is that I can hear them eating it. They eat it off the surface, so I hear a lot of kissy sounds coming from the tank. :)

I saw some topics like that, but I guess I was looking specifically for plants that would be least likely to mess up the whole tank while I can't keep an eye on it for a week. So I thought I'd ask for new opinions with that in mind. Thanks for the links. :)