Sign in to follow this  
ace88

New Guy With Pond Pics

This is my first pond, and I have to say that this is a great forum with a lot of good info. I have another thread with some pics, but this weekend, I got some more plants and fish, so I posted the pics here. I now have 6 comets. It's a 91 gallon pond from Lowes, with a little $20 fountain that has a foam filter in it. I've had the pond for about 4 weeks and fish in it for 3 weeks. The pond is a work in progress. It's not finished yet, but this is what it looks like now.

GFP4.jpg

GFP2.jpg

GFP3.jpg

GFP5.jpg

Edited by ace88

Looking good! I hope I can have another pond some day...we filled in our old one for some landscaping reasons. :(

Very nice so far :thumb:

'Nice little pond you've got going there! ;)

Do keep us updated on its progress, we love "before and after" pics here :)

That is the cutest pond ;) I am having serious pond envy because of all of you :P

Your pond looks very pretty, but I'm concerned that a fountain with a foam filter isn't adequate for six fish. It would be OK for one. You need a biofilter with a substantial amount of biomedia to handle the wastes from your fish. Are you testing your water?

You can buy a simple in-pond filter like this: http://www.homedepot...catalogId=10053 or you can make a better one like that described here : http://www.kokosgold...6-instant-pond/ in post #7. With a filter like this, your water will be crystal clear.

Your pond looks very pretty, but I'm concerned that a fountain with a foam filter isn't adequate for six fish. It would be OK for one. You need a biofilter with a substantial amount of biomedia to handle the wastes from your fish. Are you testing your water?

You can buy a simple in-pond filter like this: http://www.homedepot...catalogId=10053 or you can make a better one like that described here : http://www.kokosgold...6-instant-pond/ in post #7. With a filter like this, your water will be crystal clear.

Thanks for the links. I would like some better filtration, I will check out those other options. So far what works, is pumping out about 30% once a week and replacing it with clean water. I don't put it in right from the hose/tap. I have a 55 gallon barrel that I fill with water a couple days before I put it into the pond. I read somewhere online that if you tap water is ok for goldfish if you let it sit in another container for atleast 24 hours, I also add some Aqua Safe (Tetra).

Very nice!

But yes, a new filter would be great! And keep us posted on how the pond is going :)

How big are your fish and what do you plan on doing in the winter time? :D

Very nice!

But yes, a new filter would be great! And keep us posted on how the pond is going :)

How big are your fish and what do you plan on doing in the winter time? :D

The fish are the $.27 feeder comets from Petsmart so they aren't big, but the two biggest ones are about 3". I live in central Texas so I don't think it will get too cold for them in the winter.

Great pond! Thanks for sharing.

This is my new fish. Now there's 7 fish in the pond. I don't think I'll get anymore fish and I will get a better filter and some plants. I just put it in the bowl for a picture.

rdfin1.jpg

Wow very interesting color marks :)

We finally got some rain here in central Texas. I actually changed the pond a little to be better prepared for rain. Now I'm glad that I did. The place were the plants are next to the pond, I lowered the level of dirt and covered it with that white landscape gravel, so the dirt wouldn't wash into the pond in the rain. Also when I dug the hole for the pond, I made it so the pond is slightly tilted, so when it rains a lot, it will over flow away from the back porch, because the pond is right next to the back porch. I have been hoping that it would rain a lot so I could see how the pond would do. I felt like I prepared for it pretty good. I wondered how the fish would do in a heavy rain. I figured that rain is a natural thing and they should do good. I was right. The pond was so full, it was running over. The fish did fine, the water lilly bulbs that were doing nothing, all of a sudden, started sprouting. :D

Ace, when I saw this DIY filter:

I thought of you right away. It is really simple, inexpensive, and it looks fantastic. I'm going to build one similar to sit in front of my big barrel filter. That will make more filtration than I need, but excess filtration is no problem. Covering part of the tall barrel will make it look a lot better. Edited by koko
http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/46575-links-to-this-site/

That was cool :thumb:

Isn't it pretty, Koko? Ponders usually either hide their filters behind a waterfall, or just decide to love the look of a stock tank or drum with water running out of it. I've thought about ways to make a pretty trickle tower and I have some of those planters that I use for fines filters, but I never thought of stacking them to make a trickle tower. I just love the flowers sticking out of the boxes.

Here are two pics. The first one is when I first put the pond in, a few months ago. The second pic, is what it looks like now. It's a work in progress. I work on it on the weekends.

GFP2.jpg

pondnov11.jpg

That white rock really brings out the shape of your pond. Looking good!

WOW thats coming together very nicely :thumb:

Aha! You are trapped. Once you start improving your pond, it doesn't stop. There's always something to do to make it better.

You've done a nice job.

Hi all! Been years since my last visit here. I am still very involved with raising gold fish and taking care of ponds.

awesome! you must show us a current picture, can't just tease us like this :D