Sign in to follow this  
Deku

Fresh Foods.

Okay guys! I want to hear your opinion on fresh foods. So I decided to go all natural on the foods I give em. it seems like a better idea. I give em a wide variety of foods already. But I want to give them natural foods.

What should their diet be more? More vegetarian? or more carnivorous?

What would be good fish to feed the goldies?(I know they are scavengers--- plus fish offer omega 3 and fish oils and such which are good)

What would be the perfect live foods to culture that would provide them excellent health, through vitamins and all essentials they need? I atleast wanna culture 3-5live foods. I'm thinking of "sea monkeys" aka brine shrimps.

I also wanna know what are the healthiest veggies to feed?

Any foods I can get off my local foodmarket? I go fishing alot too. So I was wondering when I go fishing is it okay to take a fish or two and umm cough/ end its life and cut it up in bit sizes and store it in the fridge? what would be a good fish to look for? Trout? Any panfish? I can catch pretty much any type of fish around my area(I'm obssessed with fishing. xD). and I fish year round. Summer, autumn, winter and even spring(yeah yeah sometimes I "can't" but yeah). I'm also building what I like to call a "bug box" where it's going to be outside and kept warm and I can house different types of insects. Any in particular that are known to be healthy?: I hate crickets but can give some to them cause I have frogs too soo I can give a few or so.

Tuna is great to feed them. You can get them from the Chicken of the Sea cans, where they're already chopped up. If you fish for food, just make sure you clean it well, because the fish from local ponds/lakes could have pesticides in them; typically the canned fish has the pesticides cleaned/cooked out of them. I think you should look up some of the gel food recipes that have been posted...a lot of them seem really good, and I plan on making a couple of them myself.

Tuna is great to feed them. You can get them from the Chicken of the Sea cans, where they're already chopped up. If you fish for food, just make sure you clean it well, because the fish from local ponds/lakes could have pesticides in them; typically the canned fish has the pesticides cleaned/cooked out of them.

I would be really careful feeding any canned fish like tuna because they typically have a high salt content. You need to rinse them out really well with water to get as much salt out as possible (I typically just avoid the canned fish because of this).

I feed my goldies gel food (there are tons of good recipes in the food section here). I typically use fresh fish like tilapia or salmon (from the store), and then lots of veggies like red pepper, kale, spinach, broccoli (although this can sometimes cause floaties for some fish), peas etc. My fish get cucumber and kale on a regular basis on a veggie clip, and orange sometimes as a treat. Also frozen bloodworms 2x a week (high in protein!) I cannot answer your questions regarding ratio of protein to veggies, hopefully someone else can.

Gel food: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2269-gel-food/

Here's another good food link http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/86093-best-fresh-fruits-and-veggies-for-my-orandas/

I would be slightly concerned about fish that you have caught (but I guess I don't have a good reason why)... I guess you would just need to make sure that the source is good (would you eat the fish?) and that it is cooked well in case there are any parasites or things of that nature. I would assume that you could feed any type of fish, I have never heard otherwise :)

Not sure about live foods or insects ;) I'll be interested to hear what others have to say about that.

You can get unsalted canned Tuna. I know Chicken of the Sea sells it unsalted (it's what my dad always buys). But yes, definitely make sure it's unsalted!

duckweed is a good treat for them and you can grow it yourself.

Thanks. I'm just looking for highly nutritious stuff. I want to give em variety but I want to get as much nutrition in them as possible. I saw a tilapia filet for like 8bucks a pound. It was "fresh" not canned. Freshly caught. I think of going to an asian food market. Because they ussually are overstocked with stuff you would feed a turtle(I have some). lol. So I'd find stuff the goldfish would like too. Believe it or not they have the widest selection you can find. What about kalamari? Is it a bad food choice or good?

Tilapia is a great choice...In general, I think fresh fish is great for them. The thing to be careful always is if they are safe to eat. I think Asian grocery stores are good, as they tend to be much cheaper than elsewhere.

I'm thinking of fresh tilapia, atlantic cod, salmon, trout, octopus or kalamari, shrimp or prawn, de-shelled clams, and muscles, fresh kale, carrots, peas, brocolli, crickets, earthworms, spinach, etc. And I could possibly make gel foods. Cause it may make it easier and it would be fresher. I could make different gel types. For different feedings. Cause I'd feed 5x a day in small ammounts. Like I drop one gel and that's for all 7fish. Even some of the fish are big every couple hours. The gels would differentiate like this, Protein based(fish) and inverts, Salad Delight(peas, brocoli, spinach, carrots, kale, and a bit of shrimp for flavor), Insects, some inverts, and etc(Crickets, earthworms, kalamari, spinache, clams, muscles, prawn and a bit of carrots).

They would be boiled and shredded prior to being put in gel form. That way I can give them a variety of foods and it will do them well. Because I spiced up their diet lately with more different foods than ussual and their colors and activity level has been slightly higher like the reds are more deeper. The oranges are strong. The platinum(whites) are shini-er. And their finneage has grown back stronger.

Tilapia is a great choice...In general, I think fresh fish is great for them. The thing to be careful always is if they are safe to eat. I think Asian grocery stores are good, as they tend to be much cheaper than elsewhere.

Course they're cheaper. Lol.22 no would I pay 8dollars for a small piece of fish when I could get that ammount cheaper. >___> I saw a big tilapia like a couple of pounds for 8dollars in nyc. WHOLE fish. . That's what I'm talking about. ;D

I think that's a great idea with the varieties of food and choices. The only thing I am unsure of, and would like to know, is whether squid and octopus would be ok. I don't see why not, but it would be good if to know for sure. Also, with shrimp and prawn, watch out for things with possible high mercury content.

I used to go the fish market in New York every week early in the morning. Wow, they have so many varieties, and pretty cheaply also!

How are your fish with the louse & lernaea?

Edited by dnalex

I think that's a great idea with the varieties of food and choices. The only thing I am unsure of, and would like to know, is whether squid and octopus would be ok. I don't see why not, but it would be good if to know for sure. Also, with shrimp and prawn, watch out for things with possible high mercury content.

I used to go the fish market in New York every week early in the morning. Wow, they have so many varieties, and pretty cheaply also!

How are your fish with the louse & lernaea?

I panicked because I couldn't find dimilin. So I got copper safe. I slightly overdosed by a few drops or so and it's not harming them. The stuff is actually comming off them now. They look somewhat better. I'm leaving it like that for a week.

You can also try baby Triops. They're like sea monkeys; you buy the eggs, put them in water, and within 24 hours they hatch. When they're small, they'd make a great food for the goldfish. But they double in size each day, so you have to be quick.

You can also try baby Triops. They're like sea monkeys; you buy the eggs, put them in water, and within 24 hours they hatch. When they're small, they'd make a great food for the goldfish. But they double in size each day, so you have to be quick.

Triops kinda just plain out suck... I tried triops before they never worked. I kinda wonder where I can find sea monkeys for sale by the milionth. Lol. I'd like to own alot of them. And breed to feed them to the goldies.

Triops kinda just plain out suck... I tried triops before they never worked. I kinda wonder where I can find sea monkeys for sale by the milionth. Lol. I'd like to own alot of them. And breed to feed them to the goldies.

They never worked as in they never grew, or the goldfish never ate them?

Well Sea Monkeys are just brine shrimp. You can buy brine shrimp hatcheries at fish stores and online.

I tried Triops before too (just for fun, not for fish food), and mine didn't do well. A few hatched, but then they all died mysteriously.

Brine shrimp are only healthy when newly hatched, after that they really aren't.

Here is my take on feeding live food{I see this a lot with reptile keepers also}

You only need one source of live food. One that you can gutload properly, then feed to your fish. It matters not what "vehicle" delivers the food, just that it is properly fed before you feed it.

On the subject of spinach Some dark green vegetables are full of oxalates. Spinach/swiss chard particularly,are high in oxalates and block the absorption of calcium, so I question whether it is wise to feed them much, if any at all.

We've had the discussion regarding spinach/chards and oxalates recently here. From what I have read and posted in that thread, you would have to feed spinach with every meal and a lot of it, in order for the oxalates to do harm. Having said that, there are tons of other things to feed your goldfish, so go with what makes you most comfortable and still be able to provide the kind of nutrition you want for your fish :)

Edited by dnalex

Well Sea Monkeys are just brine shrimp. You can buy brine shrimp hatcheries at fish stores and online.

I tried Triops before too (just for fun, not for fish food), and mine didn't do well. A few hatched, but then they all died mysteriously.

Triops are cannibals, so they eat each other when they're young, which typically causes only one or two to survive to adulthood.

They never worked as in they never grew, or the goldfish never ate them?

Never hatched or even grew.

We've had the discussion regarding spinach/chards and oxalates recently here. From what I have read and posted in that thread, you would have to feed spinach with every meal and a lot of it, in order for the oxalates to do harm. Having said that, there are tons of other things to feed your goldfish, so go with what makes you most comfortable and still be able to provide the kind of nutrition you want for your fish :)

Would guppies be a good thing to feed to them if bred for it? Or are they not that healthy? I'm just looking for the healthiest thing to feed that's easy to gutload, hassle-free. I don't like triops because they're a pain in my groin to even work with. Never once have they ever been fruitful to me. I tried and tried and tried and tried many times. I'm pretty much done with triops. They annoy me now.

As for brine shrimp. I thought brine shrimp were nutritious either way?

I know. I'm used to calling them sea monkeys though. xD I'd love to breed stuff like daphnea(as long as it will never damage my fish--- I'm extremely paranoid about it and will flip if I see even one of them sick), and stuff like scuds. Though I'ved never had luck with scuds. But I know fish go crazy over them like its "crack" for fish. Just how you know catnip is considered weed for cats? (I don't do drugs-- it's just a term I keep hearing in petstores). lolol.

You cannot gutload brine shrimp, they wouldn't live long enough..and about the only thing they would eat would be phytoplankton. While they are newly hatched they are, but after that no. I would look for something like bloodworms or grindal worms or similar to raise. I raise grindals.

Edited by waterfaller1

Would guppies be a good thing to feed to them if bred for it? Or are they not that healthy?

I wouldn't feed guppies, mainly because goldfish are basically scavengers and not predators. Not that they wouldn't eat a live guppy, but in the wild they're much more likely to forage for vegetable matter and smaller proteins.

Brine shrimp, once they lose the yolk sac attached to them at the time of hatching, are primarily water and don't have much nutritional value at all. Give them as an occasional treat if you want, but don't make them a major food source. Better options would be frozen bloodworms or frozen mysis shrimp (thawed).

You cannot gutload brine shrimp, they wouldn't live long enough..and about the only thing they would eat would be phytoplankton. While they are newly hatched they are, but after that no. I would look for something like bloodworms or grindal worms or similar to raise. I raise grindals.

What are grindal worms? Difficulty level? And I don't like bloodworms much. So I wouldn't breed them. I buy frozen as an occassional treat. But that's pretty much about it. I'm looking for food items that will increase their health, looks(colors, wen for the orandas, and finneage) etc, etc. OR atleast aid in bringing out the best in them.