Sign in to follow this  
monkeyzero

Is This A Legit Buy?

http://modesto.craigslist.org/fuo/2601704432.html

I was calling for this tank to get for my tropicals. Well actually to move the tetras into and set up a big all tetra tank :) With maybe a few weather loaches.

He says he got a dog and decided to get rid of his fish. It has no leaks and can fill 'er up for us to see. For $20.

Is this a legit deal, or is it crud?

awsome great deal! in my area people are trying to sell 10 gallon set ups for 100 bucks or more rediculess when you can buy a brand new 20 complete set up for like 45 bucks. i say snatch that thing up!

They do that here too! Another lady was selling a similar set up for $60. I was lucky I guess. Hopefully dad says yes(we got into a little argument today).

Now I am using a UGF for my 10 gal with my tetras in it. And this guy is using a UGF as well. But he has another filter that's a HOB. Can I throw out his gravel(I dont like that blue gravel) and put my gravel and plants into the 30 gal to get the cycle up? I can also use media my AC 70 from my goldies tank and add that in. What should I do?

Edited by Monkeyzero

When people are desperate to get rid of their tanks, they will practically give them away.

Go check it out and see. It might be just the thing to lift your mood! :)

Hopefully it does :)

What would be some things to look out for?

Also, would my idea of cycling be good?

Go for it. Worst case scenario: It leaks... In which case, you can sell it as a reptile tank and depending on where the leak is, a turtle tank. I'm sure you can make some money of it.

When people are desperate to get rid of their tanks, they will practically give them away.

:exactly

I say, for that price, grab it! And, even if it did leak, it's worth it to just reseal it.

And, as far as filters, UGs for tropicals should be fine. And, using your filter media and/or gravel will be fine, but whatever filters you get from him, make sure to sterilize them.

I would ask to do a quick water test while you are there or at least get a guarantee that you can bring the tank back to him if it leaks when you fill it up (edit: if you don't want to deal with resealing). Take a look at the silicone too, make sure it is not super thin, dry, or peeling... look for obvious issues like cracks.

I would definitely get rid of his gravel and of course disinfect the tank well before filling it up. As long as you haven't had any serious issues in your goldie tank I would use some media from there to cycle your tank, but if you already have a tropical tank (and these are the fish being moved to the new tank?) you should be able to just move that filter from the old tank to the new tank without any issues, just keep an eye on your water parameters to make sure you don't get a cycle bump.

Edited by tithra

Will do! Thanks all :)

He told me that he is willing to fill the tank up to prove that it has no leaks.

I will also during that time have him run all the pumps and heater and make sure everything is in working order.

And yes, I will be moving my tetras over only(the guppies will probably stay in the old tank)(well unless my parents tell me that two tanks in the living room is too much and I'll be forced to move them over.

For sanitizing, can I use boiled water? and ACV? .

I would personally go with a diluted bleach solution to sanitize (only because you have no idea what has gone on in that tank). You could fill up the tank with bleach and water (I forget what the suggested ratio is ... 1:9 maybe?) and then hook up the filters and let them run that water for awhile (without any media of course).

I was off on the bleach solution ratio:

here is a dnalex quote from another thread that explains the disinfection process better :)

"fill it back up with a 1/20 solution of bleach and run for a few hours. Then thoroughly clean everything with a bleach solution of the same strength. You might consider just throwing out gravel and getting new ones. Let everything dry thoroughly until you can no longer smell the bleach. Then, fill up the tank with water containing 5x amount of Prime, wipe down everything with this solution (filter included) and let dry."

Dang...I'd be on that in a heartbeat!

I'd jump on it if I could :) do not use boiling water you will crack the glass :( the bleach solution is the best method in Sterilizing in my opinion :)

I'd buy it as well, great deal!

20 bucks for the (not leaking) tank and stand (without hood, lights and filters) alone would already be a good deal. Getting all these extras is amazing, I would definitely go for it!

It looks like a great deal. Sometimes people just want things gone and don't care about the money.

Yup I found Mar's tank in my Dumpster area :o Sometimes you find the right thing :)

I would say if it doesn't leak, just disinfect all the equipment. Just think to your self, all the stuff has cuties and you need to get it out :lol2

Measure the tank. People regularly advertise tanks as larger than they actually are. I got caught that way once.

be careful because it is a turtle tank now (CANNOT believe they keep two adult turtles in such a small tank!) so all will have to be seriously disinfected!

I think I have really baaaaad luck.

I went to get the tank

And he fills it up. And no leaks. I was super happy. And bam! It happens. His son is outside playing base ball, when he lets go of the bat which HAD TO hit the tank, and smash it.

:(

Worst luck EVER!

oh wow!! That's pretty crazy. I guess it was just not meant to be! eek.

Dude that messed up :(

No way! I would have cried!

Did you buy the stuff? Tanks are the easier part, I think.

Nope.

Mods can lock the topic now, since now I'm not getting it. :(