Gummie Bear Needs Some Help-eye Wound

xchairity_casex

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level main tank-0 QT-0
  • * Nitrite Level main tank-0 QT-0
  • * Nitrate level main tank-8 QT-9
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) main-8.0 QT8.0
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?-drops
  • * Water temperature? main-76 Qt-77
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?main-80 gallons running nearly a year QT- 20 gallons running for 3 years
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?main-2 penguin bio wheels and one whisper 30 QT-one weird little unknown filter that filters 30gph and one from wally world the filters 350gph dont recall the name?
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? main-today 100 percent QT-today 100 percent
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? main-4 goldies between 1 inch and 6 inches QT one guppy(who is not in QT as i was raised from birth by me)
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? jungle start right water conditioner
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? homemade gel food
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? main-none QT melafix
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?-only on gummie open wound on her eye
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? been floaty for 3 days

a few days ago my mom decided to feed the goldies flakes which right after gummie bear became floaty from i warned ehr not to feed them flakes and decided to fast her tonight i noticed on her one eye a large patch of missing skin or an open wound. im not sure where it came from im certian theres nothing she could have gotten hurt on in the tank as the tank is pretty bare except for alrge smooth rocks and 2 drift wood pieces i filed down before adding to the tank. i have moved her into the QT tank which was originally my guppy tank but since having gotten rid of all guppies but one female i decided to keep the tank as a QT tank all the prams are the same on that tank as i do weekly maintance of 100 percent water changes on it. i added the melafix since im out of salt and figured that was better then nothing till i can get some salt.

here are the pictures of gummie bears eye

Picture249-1.jpg

Picture248-1.jpg

Picture260-1.jpg

and here is a picture of her unaffected eye

Picture258-1.jpg

the wound is not on the eye but on the socket behind the eye

• Supporter

is it actually an open wound? ie, is it bleeding? if it is an open wound you will see a lot of blood, a tear in the flesh, a hole/split with oozing blood, the eye ball can fall out.. is there swelling? need to know more for the wound please so that we can help more.

there is no bleeding which is strange becuase i did not see a wound on her yesterday and its incredably visable. theres no swelling which i also found odd at first i thought i looked like a fungus around the wounds edges becuase the edges are a whitish color i tried so hard getting unblurring pictures! but having her out of the water too long i couldnt manage.

to me it looks like the skin has been eaten away exposeing the back of her eyeball the eyeball looks fine no redness or swelling

no redness,pinkishness,swelling or blood its very clean wound with white edges exposeing her eyeball.

• Supporter

ok, this is good, it may not be an open wound at all. so melafix might not be needed..

perhaps all is needed is some good clean water and salt, ie, to repair skin and slimecoat. how soon can you get your hands on salt?

• Supporter

good plan.. bring the tank to 0.1% and then 12 hours later 0.2% salt..

keep an eye out for ammonia as it sometimes likes to make an appearance when there is salt in the tank. salt: 1 level teaspoon per 1 US gallon. please make sure the salt is dissolved in tank water and cooled prior to adding.

keep us updated if things get better or worse.

My common tore holes in the back of my little black moor's eyes. Stakos' advice is what I did to help him heal. Salt and clean water was the best treatment.

i wonder if thats what happend when i first seen her i thought her eye was gone and i freaked right out. but like i said theres nothing seh could have gotten hurt on so i bet that was it

ok i do plan on doing 100 percent water changes daily will that help keep the ammonia in check? im going to be picking up 3 cartons of API salt.

how long is it safe to use the salt? a few days? a week or two? untill the wound is completly healed or close to being completly healed?

• Supporter

your initial water params that you posted, indicate your qt filter is cycled. even though there is a cycle, using salt can allow ammonia to build, that's why you need to check for ammonia on a daily basis. the moment you see traces of ammonia, time for big water change.

salt increases the toxicity of ammonia irrespective of if you have a cycled filter.

to be on the safe side, you should test daily for ammonia when salting the tank.

at 0.2% salt, which is what i recommend for this type of injury, salt at 0.2% can be treated for 4 weeks. although as the injury does not seem too severe, i doubt that we will need to keep salting for longer than a fortnight.

salt treatment should last ideally until the wound is completely healed. once the wound is healed and his slimecoat is repaired, the salt can stop. all that needs to form at that stage is colour, and that will do so in it's own good time with lots of waterchanges.

Charity, if you want something that is a little more economical that has worked well for a number of people here, get the Morton's Canning & Pickling salt. You can get that at virtually any grocery store/Walmart, and a four pound box is under $1.50. :)

Charity, if you want something that is a little more economical that has worked well for a number of people here, get the Morton's Canning & Pickling salt. You can get that at virtually any grocery store/Walmart, and a four pound box is under $1.50. :)

yeh ive searched high and low for that stuff cant find it anywhere up here ive even checked 2 differant wallyworld stores nothing so im stuck with the API aquarium salt theres alot of stuff you cant find in upper MI even at the chain stores or resturants like pizza hut youll see commerciels for limited time only items and they never even get them in for a limited time in upper MI i swear its like upper MI is a seperate country or somthing!

• Admin

yeh ive searched high and low for that stuff cant find it anywhere up here ive even checked 2 differant wallyworld stores nothing so im stuck with the API aquarium salt theres alot of stuff you cant find in upper MI even at the chain stores or resturants like pizza hut youll see commerciels for limited time only items and they never even get them in for a limited time in upper MI i swear its like upper MI is a seperate country or somthing!

Thats ok, I still buy this stuff. dont know it just eases my mind :idont

im suprised the skin has already started growing back! not alot but a little i have noticed the wound is smaller. and since being in the QT she has quit floating all together.

i have a feeling im going to have a flaoty issues fish so im going to start researching about floatyness and find out all that i can about it.