Pond Baby Question

Kerstin

Hi there,

I have a 550-600 G pond and started out with 3 Goldfish in it. They seem to like it in there quite a bit, because we seem to have about 40 babies at least ranging from all sizes in there now. :)

How many Goldies do you guys think should be "safe" in there? I do about 10% water changes every week and top it up twice a week...

Considered the nitrate and growth hormone produced, I'd say it is similar to a tank. If you have 20 gallons per fish, then you'd have to change at least 50% weekly? Just guessing here.

I think Shakaho said that it is better to have around 50 gallons per fish, then you'd need to do only 10% weekly water changes.

But then keep in mind that the fish might start reproducing again next year... Is there any way to keep natural predators of goldfish FRY in a pond to keep them under control?

That's a lot of babies. I'd strongly suggest you collect the babies, select the 10 or so that you like best, and find homes for the rest. You probably won't have baby booms like that in the future. The biggest population explosions happen when the number of original fish is small relative to the size of the pond. I read the complaints of a guy who put 6 little goldies in a big (tens of thousands of gallons) new pond. The next spring he had thousands of little goldfish.

Now that your fish are bigger, they will be more effective at devouring eggs and tiny babies. They will also have help from the first season's babies. Still, forty fish will make your nice pond an unpleasant place. You will have to be changing a lot more water, cleaning filters regularly, needing bigger filters to keep the water clean -- in other words, you will have lots of maintenance. With 10-20 fish in the pond, you will be able to continue your comfortable work schedule.

The great thing about ponds is that the sun takes care of most of your Ammonia and Nitrates, so waste management isn't as big of a deal. My aunt and uncle have a pond, and their fish have babies every year...they just let nature take its course, and it seems to be working out very well.

A pond is a different ecosystem from a tank even when they are the same size. The typical recommendation for water changes for a koi pond ( and koi are MUCH more demanding than pond goldfish) is 10% a week, although most people don't do that much. Consider changing 10% of a 10,000 gallon pond every week! I heard one koi expert advocate 10% changes a day, but his stocking level was more appropriate for goldfish than koi. It's mostly a matter of filtration. The big, slow-flowing (relative to the aquarium types) filters used in ponds really scrub the water. If you have some plants in the top of the filter or on shelves or other supports in the pond, you won't be able to measure nitrates in the pond.