Question On Lighting And Sleep

Azlaier

I wasn't exactly sure where to put this, so I just figured this would be okay.

Anyways, I just have a quick question on lighting and goldfish sleep. Basically, I'm nocturnal; I'm up pretty much all hours of the night (like any college student), so my light is always on in my room at night, and during the day, the sunlight lights up the room. Is this bad for my fish? Am I messing up their sleep cycle? Or do they even need darkness to sleep? Should I get some sort of sheet to put over the tank at night?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I just didn't have this issue when I used to keep goldfish years ago, because I had a normal sleeping schedule then.

If you are like me and up all hours of the night, then I would do the towel thing. Or even put them in a really dark corner of the room. I don't know how much it effects them, but better safe than sorry lol

I once left the tank light on all night and my fish acted like we would if we were sleep deprived.

I don't think this is a stupid question at all. I've just done a fair bit of reading on this, since I was trying to research whether blue LED moonlights are safe to leave on all night.

In any case, your fish will need some amount of time where it's dark so that their circadian rhythm is not messed up. If you find that you need to be up late, and hence leaving the lights on well into the night, the best thing to do is to get a towel and cover their tank, say for midnight until morning. This way you can ensure some dark restful times for them :)

Thanks, this is what I thought. I just need to try and find a towel that's big enough to cover the whole tank. lol

Or use more than 1. When I had to cover my big tank recently, I used 3 towels :)

Yeah, I will just have to run out and get some cheap towels. I'm living at home right now, and my parents would kill me if I used any of their nice towels to cover my fish tank, ahah.

Moon light enters the water at night in nature. Complete darkness is not normal for fish. There are exceptions like really deep water. If it is a little light like a reading light I wouldn't worry about it. If your room is lit up then I would cover most of the tank. I used LED night lights for a couple years on my reef tank. Your tank light will determine the light cycle.

My goldies are outside so they are used to the whole night and day shift.

But for my tropicals, the light goes on around 6pm and turns off about 12pm. We have a bright night light in our hallway, so the tank get VERY VERY dim light(could be like the moonlight). But they go to "sleep" when I turn off the lights.

When we wake up(around 6-7 am) we open all the curtains, so the house is bright. This is when the fish become active again. :)

Fish will even sleep in the daytime if left alone. My Black Moor seems to stay up late and rests during the day. No matter what time i peek into the tank at night he is always swimming. I have a theory about this. When I got him he was with a Raphael cat. They are nocturnal. Every night when the cat woke up they would both swim around. During the day they would both rest (sleep) a lot. The cat is gone but the Moor still swims at night.

Edited by Goldfish Chris

I think I caught my gold fantail sleeping on the top surface under the duckweed but laying on floating hornwort. He was completely still when I came home from work. I tapped on the glass after no movement for a while and he came back to life. I thought to my self okay he was just napping because it was comfortable there.

My other theory is the fish get to sleep the same time I sleep. So if my sleep hours are good enough for me, it better be good enough for them haha.