Re-decorated Betta Tank...

mjbubbles

I've been reading a lot on the Planted Tank forum and got some good ideas for Mr. Blue's tank.

What I'd like are some tall grassy plants for the background so Mr. Blue could swim through the jungle.

The anubias are not really tall enough for him to swim through.

I haven't had much luck with plants other than anubias in this one, the amazon fern, sword and mermaid weed have all died. The algae is doing really well, as you can see :no: . I have trouble scraping it off because of scratching the plastic of the tank.

DSCN3395.jpg

DSCN3404.jpg

Java fern is pretty tough, I could never kill it. You could try Vallis but mine petered out after a few months, I hardly have any left. It also gets VERY tall.

Dwarf hairgrass might be good but I have no experience with the stuff so I don't know how hardy it is.

you could maybe get some different types of anubias, I believe there are some kinds that have longer leaves like these: http://www.shop.plantedaquariumscentral.com/ANUBIAS-FRAZERI-Tall-Anubias-Specie-Frazeri01.htm

And java fern can get pretty tall and is easy to keep alive ;)

Or you could try maybe adding a plant specific substrate, upping your lighting a little (not sure what you have now) and trying those plants again (perhaps there just wasn't enough nutrients/light for them to flourish? idk)

I agree, java fern is a very easy to keep plant, and it will sprout a lot of baby javas from it's leaves, giving the whole thing a jungle like appearance.

Anubias also come in tall versions, I do not know what exactly they are called, but I got one of those myself.

Have you tried wiping the algae off with a soft cloth? (water drained, fish removed of course)

Either way, it is a gorgeous little tank! :)

Thanks for the nice comments and suggestions everyone.

I have tried rubbing the algae with a cloth, a scrubber and a scrub brush. This is tough algae~!

I'm going to try the edge of a credit card this week. The problem is that the tank is cheapo plastic and scratches easily - even with an acrylic only scrubber.

I've researched plants and I think I'm going to get a couple of smaller swords: ECHINODORUS PARVIFLORUS 'TROPICA'.

They grow about 5-7 inches tall and will look nice in the back. I just hope I can keep them alive this time!

I've also found a nice jungly background which already makes it seem more jungly. More pics later after I have added the new plants.

Take care,

mj

Before I got my tank, I read that those acrylic-only scrubbers will scratch. Since then, I've read that only flannel will not scratch acrylic. Even paper towels will scratch acrylic!!! So I wipe the inside front and sides of mine with a cotton washcloth at every water change. It's kind of a pain, but I can't see knowingly scratching it.

BTW, I think Java fern is kind of a pain. It just won't attach to anything yet, so it's always coming loose from where I tied it, and it's not all that attractive.

Thanks, Shawnee. I will try the wash cloth idea for algae.

So far one of my two Amazon ferns are doing well - I have it planted in a small underwater plant pot filled with filter sponge. It's put lots of roots out and is now firmly attached to the sponge in the pot. It's growing and spreading out so Fluffy can swim through the leaves.

The other one I have attached to a rock with rubber bands. It's not doing much of anything. First of all it was in the betta tank of death and got a bunch of black burn spots on the leaves. Now it's in Fluffy's tank where I hope it will recover. I will re-plant it in filter media like I have the other one and hope it will do better. I read that the black spots can be caused by a lack of nitrates in the water...this may have been true in the betta tank, but it is certainly not true of the goldie tank!

Somewhere on here is a thread with pictures about how to pot plants in filter media. I just tried searching for it, with no luck. Anyway, I have done that with several of my plants and they are doing very well with that method.

Take care,

Mj