Sign in to follow this  
Azlaier

Can Pro-gold Help Keep Ammonia/ph/nitrites/ates Balanced?

I was reading the reviews on the Pro-Gold page on the Goldfish Connection website, and a couple of people made comments that switching to Pro-Gold reduced their Ammonia levels and whatnot. I typically don't trust reviews online, simply because a lot of the times they're planted/filtered. So I was just curious, have any of you noticed that using Pro-Gold has helped balance the chemical levels in your water? Is it even possible for a fish food to do this?

I never noticed any difference when I fed Pro Gold and there's not really a reason why there should be. My guess would be that the people posting were feeding something like flaked food before that tends to distribute more in the tank and get left uneaten, contributing to ammonia build up, etc.

The only possible way this may work is if it is more digestable, producing less waste. The above statement is also a very likely reason, making the statement false since it is the feeding practice not the food it self.

I know you are a big fan of Pro-Gold, but another pellet food that is really highly recommended is the Saki Hikari purple bag :)

I know you are a big fan of Pro-Gold, but another pellet food that is really highly recommended is the Saki Hikari purple bag :)

That's what I use as a base food, supplemented by a lot of other stuff.

I compared the ingredients in Hikari with a cheap Tetra pellet I have, and there wasn't much of a difference in ingredients, which made me a little wary to spend that kind of money for fish food. Maybe I will give it a shot when I run out of Pro-Gold (which probably won't be for a while).

I compared the ingredients in Hikari with a cheap Tetra pellet I have, and there wasn't much of a difference in ingredients, which made me a little wary to spend that kind of money for fish food. Maybe I will give it a shot when I run out of Pro-Gold (which probably won't be for a while).

There is a massive difference in my opinion. I started with Tetra recently because that all I could find that sank. The colors of the fish didn't change and the growth was slow and it was the color enhancing. I then switched to Hikari Lionhead. The colors were looking more solid and they Wen growth was better. They also seemed to grow a little faster. Then I switch to Saki-Hikari on my next supply order and wow. The colors are really nice. I started to notice it in a week. They are also growing very fast.

Well, I'd have to say that the comparison would be like getting a t-bone steak at a 4 star, upscale steakhouse vs. Sizzler. Now, sure, both are t-bones, but the one at the 4 star restaurant is going to be, without a doubt, a far better piece of meat. Point I'm trying to make is you can have the same ingredients and one can still be better quality. Now, I don't use any commercial food, but if I did, I would definitely choose a product that received the highest reviews from people I knew and/or trusted.

Yeah, I suppose. I just tend to avoid anything with some sort of "meal" ingredient in it, particularly when it's one of the first ingredients on the list. But like I said, I have to use up my Pro-Gold before I will spend anymore money on fish food. I don't want it to expire, so I try to not stock up on a bunch of different foods that I know I won't be able to use before expiration.

There is nothing wrong with fish meal. Fish meal has more nutrition and protein than just a meat product. This is the same with meal products.

Meal simply means that it is meat minus the water. It's actually better in, say, dry dog foods to have meal as the first ingredient rather than meat, because you get MORE of the ingredient if it's meal (because water volume is removed). However, you want it to be from a specified source, such as "chicken meal" or "haddock meal," as opposed to "poultry" or "fish." Same principal applies to fish food.

I'm a diehard Pro-Gold fan. I've been feeding it successfully for years. I liked Saki-Hikari too, and used to feed the purple bag in rotation with other foods, but I found that the color enhancers it contained caused orange smearing on my white or white-based fish, which I didn't like. I stick to mainly Pro-Gold with weekly peas and very occasionally frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp.

Meal simply means that it is meat minus the water. It's actually better in, say, dry dog foods to have meal as the first ingredient rather than meat, because you get MORE of the ingredient if it's meal (because water volume is removed). However, you want it to be from a specified source, such as "chicken meal" or "haddock meal," as opposed to "poultry" or "fish." Same principal applies to fish food.

I'm a diehard Pro-Gold fan. I've been feeding it successfully for years. I liked Saki-Hikari too, and used to feed the purple bag in rotation with other foods, but I found that the color enhancers it contained caused orange smearing on my white or white-based fish, which I didn't like. I stick to mainly Pro-Gold with weekly peas and very occasionally frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp.

I just started feeding mine Pro-Gold today, and she seems to enjoy it. Have you found that Pro-Gold enhances color or wen size at all?

My goldfish always have nice, steady, good growth on Pro-Gold, and are very shiny and vibrant. Their wens grow steadily. Pro-Gold doesn't contain color enhancers or promise to build mega-wens, which I actually like about it. I think it's very balanced.

My metallic fish are shinier on Pro-Gold than on other foods. That's a nice plus.

I liked Saki-Hikari too, and used to feed the purple bag in rotation with other foods, but I found that the color enhancers it contained caused orange smearing on my white or white-based fish, which I didn't like.

This is so true, and is a definite concern. I believe they have recently released a saki hikari purple bag with a tosakin on the bag. This new product is supposed to be color enhancing but doesn't cause smearing. I have no idea if it's going to be the case or not, but I will order one when I can. :)

I liked Saki-Hikari too, and used to feed the purple bag in rotation with other foods, but I found that the color enhancers it contained caused orange smearing on my white or white-based fish, which I didn't like.

This is so true, and is a definite concern. I believe they have recently released a saki hikari purple bag with a tosakin on the bag. This new product is supposed to be color enhancing but doesn't cause smearing. I have no idea if it's going to be the case or not, but I will order one when I can. :)

Where's the best place to order it? My LFS sells one bag of Hikari Fancy Goldfish food, but I can't remember which one it is.

The place where they have this advertised says it's not yet available. I'll email him to ask again and will let you know.