Sign in to follow this  
npila1

Hikari Freeze-dried Bloodworms Cubes

I just bought these for my two 3-4 inch goldfish (I used to have the goldfish connection bloodworms). How do I feed these cubes, do I just drop in a cube and it will soften up in the water or should I pre-soak? And how much of the cube per fish for each meal?

I have hikari's fd bloodworm too, but I've never seen them as cubes, only the frozen ones. Well for freeze dried ones, presoaking doesn't make them absorb any water so just dump them in. For the frozen ones its best to let them defrost first by soaking in water, then pouring them in.

I do not recommend using the freeze dried bloodworms as they will not sink, no matter how much you pre-soak them. That means they are trapping air inside your goldfish's tummy, and teaching it to eat off the surface of the water. A big no-no in my book.

I do not recommend using the freeze dried bloodworms as they will not sink, no matter how much you pre-soak them. That means they are trapping air inside your goldfish's tummy, and teaching it to eat off the surface of the water. A big no-no in my book.

I concur.

Well, my fish have never had issues with freeze dried or otherwise floating food, but a lot of fancies do so I would treat fd bloodworms with caution as not all foods will work for different fish.

Well, my fish have never had issues with freeze dried or otherwise floating food, but a lot of fancies do so I would treat fd bloodworms with caution as not all foods will work for different fish.

I wonder if this has to do with the fact that your tank is very heavily planted, and so your fish gets a nice fibrous diet also.

I've never tried the freeze dried with my goldfish. However, it caused severe constipation in my bettas. All four of my females died after eating it....

I agree with Sarah, I don't like the freeze dried kind. They made some of my fish ultra gassy and flipping/floaty. I have never tossed an almost full can of fish food as quickly as I did then. I prefer the fresh frozen blood worms.

The best way to use them if you did buy them (I agree dont like these) is to mix them in with your Gel food, this way it will absorb the water :)

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but I've twice now had issues, one jar got infested with small bugs and another jar got moldy after less than a month.

I used to feed freeze dried blood worms to Bettas and Paradise fish all the time and never had a problem. When I started breeding fish I was 14 and my parents wouldn't let me put fish foods in the freezer. I have never feed them to goldfish and I wouldn't based on advise from this site.