Sign in to follow this  
Orandafish

Prices Of Goldfish?

LOL, i'd love too, but you're too far hun. :)

Most that I've paid was $30 for Iva was she was about 3 inches. She was in the expensive tank at Petsmart. She was chocolaty black at that time and just had to have her. :)

The most I've ever spent was a little under $100. Tinko was purchased from DandyOrandas for around $200 (including shipping).

One small LFS near me can special-order show quality black ranchus for $100-$125 each, so that price doesn't seem out of line. I've spent about that on a couple of my fish from Goldfishnet. If it's a large-sized ranchu with good color, swims well, good smooth back, good tail tuck, etc. I would totally go for it at that price -- you'd save the cost of shipping, which ain't cheap!

Shipping is so expensive! I can't remember, but I think the shipping from DO to me was $98! The cost of the fish you are looking at. One store here has some cute two inch sized chubby black ranchus for $15, but they just lucked out with getting those in.

I checked out Wet Pets website and it sounds like, although these guys now also deal with other types of pet animals (which usually for me is a no-no when it comes to fish) it sounds like they are very, very knowledgeable and experienced when it comes to fish so I'm thinking that THEIR thinking for the pricing range of that ranchu is this:

They KNOW how difficult it is to take good care of goldfish. They KNOW goldfish aren't easy carnival fish. They KNOW it's taken a lot to get this fish to this size and still healthy. They KNOW that a fish like this, at a low price, would be scooped up by the first dimwitted yahoo in a heartbeat and would promptly die in a week's time, so they put an "outrageous" price on the fish and it scares away all the boneheads who just want a goldfish to stick in a bowl. They KNOW that only a serious goldfish keeper is going to pay that sort of price for a fish, which means, they know it will be taken care of, which is their goal.

That's my thinking on it. And if this IS the case, this is a good store.