Sign in to follow this  
Guest hopentra

Is This Fungus?

Guest hopentra

Hi everyone,

I hope you can help me. I am trying to determine what exactly my black moore has. I read a posting on here about someone who I thought may have had something like this, but they never posted a picture, so I can't be sure.

Here is a picture of my fish. Had to adjust the brightness, to show up the spots better.

bender2.jpg

Any suggestions of what it might be and how I should go about it?

Thanks in advance

Hi Hopentra

Are the white areas slightly fluffy, like fine cotton wool? I can't tell from the pic. If they are, then yes it is definitely fungus.

If not - if the patches look like part of the skin itself - then it may be just normal colour changes. Goldfish - especially black fish - do change colour somewhat as they get older.

Let us know what the white areas look like in a bit more detail. :)

Guest hopentra

Hi Emma,

thanks for the reply. The spots are definetally more fluffy than just colour change (although it is very slightly so). The fish also had it right on top of his head, between the eyes about 2 weeks ago, but that one went away. (Actually, I have been treating the water for Ich, as recommended by the shop, but seeing other pictures of Ich, I think it doesn't look like it anymore).

I've also read somewhere that Black Moores get white spots (of some sort not shown anywhere) in the same regions that my one has it during spawning season...could that be it?

thanks

hopentra

White and fluffy doesn't necessarily mean fungus.

Hopentra, I think the "spots" you're referring to are the breeding spots that normally occur on the gill cover and pectoral fins of male fish when they're ready to spawn. This does not look like what your little guy has. Breeding spots are smaller, more like ich spots, and are not tufty.

What are your water conditions like (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH)? External irritation can cause a heavy slime coat, resulting in a grey or white film over the fish. This may or may not be what is going on with your moor, but it's a good idea to check.

Like you've concluded, it does not look as though your fish has ich, so I would suggest you stop treating for it asap. The ingredients in ich meds can be harsh, and if they're not serving a purpose, there's no point in subjecting a fish to them.

Both of my Black Moors get that! On my moors it is not raised at all, but looks a little greasy.

I really am not sure what it is, mine usually only get one small spot at a time. I have never treated it, it usually just disappears in a day or two.

So far *knock on wood* my Moors seem fine, they swim and eat and look like healthy fish. But they have had what looks exactly like that a few times now. It does not seem to bother them at all.

I would be interested to know what it is.

Jessica

Umm actually I think I may know why my moors get that, I just reread HG post.

Would salt cause them these spots, because it will increase slime coat production?

Jessica