Sign in to follow this  
Captain Findus Goldfish

Feeding Minced Garlic

Do any of you do this?

I add garlic in my gel food by a friend of mine recommended I feed the actual garlic as a treat (grosses me out). He says it is super good for the intestines.

How would I go about doing this? Would it be raw or cooked? I think I read that some garlic properties are only released once it has been cooked a bit?

I've given my guys pieces that have been smushed up. It smells awful, and you swear you smell it every where days later, but the fish go bananas for it.

yea my gel food smells up the water too. I hate it lol! but if it is healthy for them.... :flex:

i just use the handheld garlic crusher/mincer and add it to what's about to be blended. i use 1 medium clove for 600ml of food.

I tried rubbing his pellets in garlic and Fluffy loved it.

When I put a tiny piece of garlic in the water, he ate it but was floaty all day...so I think it's a bit strong for small fishies.

(Fluffy is a puny 4 inches, not like your monsters, so a little goes a LONG way.)

I imagine it's really good for them, but getting the dosage right may be difficult.

mj

I think I must be slightly odd as I love the taste and smell of raw garlic :P

I use it in my gel food, but I'd be worried it was too strong to feed raw, on its own. If you've ever eaten a clove of raw garlic you'll know it burns!

I think I must be slightly odd as I love the taste and smell of raw garlic :P

I use it in my gel food, but I'd be worried it was too strong to feed raw, on its own. If you've ever eaten a clove of raw garlic you'll know it burns!

Yeah, I felt so sorry for Fluffy while he was floating, cuz I could imagine it burning his little insides. I will stick to rubbing the pellets in garlic juice from now on...no more pieces for him...I too, love the smell and actually eat raw garlic for the health benefits...

And I wonder why I have no friends!!! :no:

I love garlic and eat tons of it...so many health benefits. But I probably wouldn't throw it in raw in the tank. It is in their gel food though.

I too, love the smell and actually eat raw garlic for the health benefits...

See! Lol. I hate the smell. My friend uses it on his wild discus as they are sensitive to meds, as a natural way to control intestinal worms.

I use fresh or powdered in my gel food. I use a lot of it too even though Steven complains about the fridge smelling LOL

We never noticed the tank water smelling from it though...

Occasionally I feed minced garlic as treat. I just get a fresh clove, peel it, chop it into bit sized pieces and that's it. When I'm lazy, I'm just using a garlic crusher.

They definitely do love the stuff (and so do I :D ) .

I'm pretty sure that I've read in a book its good for their intestines.

I've always boiled the garlic along with the other veggies I use in my gel food. If it's safe and better nutritionally, I'll use it raw in future though :)

That being said, I know if veggies lose some of their nutritional value when cooked, so I always use the water I've cooked them in to make up the gelatine. Don't know if it makes a difference, but I like to think it does .. :P