Please Help Fast

ehath

• Supporter

i just read that you have not fed him today. i will continue to fast him. it's approx midday there now right? i would feed him tomorrow morning a pea and then again later in that day.

with my fish, i fast them once or twice per week. what i do is i fast them for 24 hours, then i feed peas.

i buy frozen, unsalted peas (prebagged) from the supermarket.

i collect some tank water (a really small amount, enough to just cover the peas) into a cup, add 2 peas, cover it with plastic wrap, put it into the microwave for about 40 seconds, remove from microwave, allow to cool.

drain and discard the water. then, grab a pea, pinch the skin a little on one side and the pea should just pop out from it's skin. you are now right to feed the pea(s) to lil fishie. i would feed 1 pea in the morning, 1 pea in the evening. be prepared for a water change before you go to bed, feeding peas to fish is like us taking a natural laxative.

you should add this to your weekly routine, it helps keep them regular and active :)

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supporter

i believe sarah (ryukin girl) will be stopping by later.. i mentioned to her that you had the water examined by the water representative. we're discussing when we should be trying the well water again. i have no experience for well water, so she will stop by later to share her thoughts on the matter.

3am here now, i am off to bed, i just wanted to congratulate you again on lil fishie's fantastic progress in your care. good work! :bighug

I was wondering about the well water too. At minimum, I'll take it into the store and have them run as much as they can. Do you think it could have been a big pH difference? It was in the normal range that night when it was tested AFTER they had started to go. Maybe it was on the high end before? We're all still using spring water. So between my two labs and all the water changes, it's a lot of water. Not that I mind if there is something wrong.

Wow! You're up late!

• Supporter

the store will most likely only test for what you already have test kits for..

now, if i recall, after all this saga, we had the store test for copper and that returned 0.. correct?

so with your test kits at hand. this is what sarah will need:

from the tank:

nitrAtes:

from the well, all the tests:

Ammonia:

nitrAtes:

nitrItes:

PH:

if possible:

KH

GH

i am normally up till 4am for international trade, however, tonight, i am tired.. lol.

• Supporter

the nitrates are probably at 0 from the frequent water changes and that you fasted him for a bit. no biggie.

ok.. i'm saying goodnight now, sarah should be around by the end of the day to share her thoughts on the well water :)

Hi Ehath. I am just popping in to advise on the water situation. Sorry I wasn't by early (like I planned, and told Helen) but I'm here now!

My suggestion is to start slowly mixing in water from the tap with your spring water for changes. That way you can gradually introduce him to the water again.

I trust completely that the water guy said nothing was wrong with the water, but not even he can test for everything. There might have been trace amounts of something in your well (caused by the storms) that was harmless and unnoticed by you and your hubby, but was extremely noticeable to your fish (obviously).

With the gradual water change/reintroduction you should be able to get him off the expensive (relatively) store water and back onto the easier method. I would say take about a week with small water changes everyday to get him back onto tap water.

My method would be:

Day1: 5g water change (1g tap water)

Day2: same as above

Day3: 5g water change (2g tap water)

Day4: 5g water change (2.5g tap (25% total volume tap water))

Day5: same as above

Day6: 5g water change (4g tap water)

Day7: 5g water change (5g tap water)

This is by no means a prescription, but is a suggestion. I think the key is to gently wean him off of spring water.

Hope this helps! I will be around this weekend and will check up on you (and fully read this whole thread!) :)

From the Tank:

pH - 7.6

GH - 71.6 - 89.5

KH - 71.6 - 89.5

Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate = 0

From the Tap:

Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate = 0

pH - 7.6

GH = it took 15 drops to get it to change color in the API test we have. That is not on the chart. The last number in the chart was 12 drops 214.8

KH = 196.9

We also purchased a test at Home Depot for copper and iron and they were both 0.

Thank you!

Today's Stats:

Since last night he's been hiding in the cave. He did pop out when I dropped some food in. I wanted to see how he looked to be sure he's ok. His fins were up. He ate one pellet and went back in. His poop is still clear as of yesterday. I'm hoping that was from all the stress.

Ammonia - 0

Nitrites - 0

Nitrates - 0

These still at 0 surprise me.

pH - 7.6

GH - 107.4

KH - 89.5

Since he's still in the 10 gallon thank, I'll do what you suggested but just change 1.5 gallons each time.

I have the Gold Buffer. Do I add that to the tank or the water I'm adding? I was thinking since the tap is at 7.6 also I'm just not sure what to do. Did you find it alarming that the GH and KH were so high? Could that cause any problems?

The hiding is concerning me a bit. We had a rock like cave in our old tank that. He use to sit in that a lot so maybe I'm just being paranoid. It was so nice to see him out and swimming yesterday!

• Supporter

thanks for the update. now, you are probably not showing nitrates as you are doing frequent water changes and there is only one small fish in the tank.. however, since you showed ammonia, that means there is waste either from fish or food which should have converted to nitrates.. so not sure there.. best that ammonia is checked frequently and water changes occur when there is a trace.. just to be safe.

another thing that can cause ammonia is salting, we do have salt in there, so this could be the main reason or a contributing factor. either way, we're on top of it and will tend to reducing it to 0 anytime it shows. ok?

as 7.6 is from the tap and from the well.. then you only need to be adding the buffer to the spring water. the spring water will need to be increased to 7.6 to match the well water and the tank water prior to adding it to the tank.

prime always a must and temperature matched as closely as possible.

hiding in a cave? if he used to do that before he was ill and is continuing to do so now, i see no real reason for concern.. only unless he's not looking too good or a bit meh for food will i be concerned.

it was a huge difference for the GH and KH, i am wondering if there was an error with your testing? next time if you get something unusual, test again just to be sure.

things are looking good :) nice work!

Sorry I haven't posted in a bit. We've had a sickness making it's rounds with everyone.

He's been looking terrific still. He hid out in the cave for a day or two but has been swimming around a lot yesterday and today. I waited to start with the tap water while we were not feeling well, just in case something went wrong. I'll start that today.

Thank you so much for all your time. I would have lost him too if it were not for all the advice!

Looking good again today. I think the nitrates have gone up a tiny bit. We've stated using tap water. I'm going to take out the floss from the store and replace it with ours. I'm hoping we're over this! The pH was up to maybe 8.0 today. So I think the coral is doing it's job! Since our tap water is at 7.6, I'll start using the buffer on the next change. I have did not add the salt today to the water change. I can still add it if I should. Thanks so much!

• Supporter

ehath! that's fantastic news!! good work!! :) :)

no, leave the salt out, that's fine. don't remove the floss. it's cycling the qt. infact, i would probably nuke the floss from the main tank and seed it with the floss from the QT.. simply because the floss in the main tank has experienced death of the other tank mates.

what i would do is add floss and media to the qt filter so that the good bacteria can take to it. then when it's taken, you can split the qt filter floss/media and get the main tank up and running. does that make sense?

but i would only do this if you are wanting to move lil fishy over.. personally, i think in the 10 gallon would be a nice home for him at the moment. well at least until the cycle gets stronger and there is more good bacteria in the filter. then, i would prepare the other tank after sterilizing it, split the media, run both the qt filter and the filter for the main at the same time in the main tank. it is really important that the cycle is not lost.

how does that sound?

Thanks!

I have not put anything from the old tank into this one. I was going to put the new floss into the 10 gallon.

I was thinking about keeping him in there for a while longer too. The 40 gallon has been sitting empty since we bleached it. I'm going to fill it up today and run it for a bit. I'm worried there could still be bleach in it. I'll be sure to add the Prime as well so that SHOULD take care of it, right? Can you put too much Prime in? I was wondering if I should put a little more in. That's a great idea with the floss. I can take it out of the tank and put it in the 40 gallon.

• Supporter

ok.. here's the thing. the cycle exists in the filter as we know. at the moment, you only have the one fish. you cannot split the filter media and put it in the 40 gallon with no fish because there will be nothing to keep it cycled and the good bacteria will die.. you will then be starting from scratch again.. this means daily water changes until that filter cycles or you seed it with cycled media from the qt again. this will effectively be wasting good cycled media. as the 10 gallon has a filter in it that will not be big enough for the 40 gallon. right now i would suggest that you add as much extra filter media to the 10 gallon filter, run it for 2-3 days so that the good bacteria can grow on the new floss/media., then when you're ready to use the 40 gallon again, you can take all the filter media from the 10 gallon filter and put it into the 40 gallon filter. this should give you a next to immediate cycle in the 40 gallon tank.

am i making sense?