Please Help Fast

ehath

• Supporter

yep, regular pantyhose.. just make sure they are washed, rinsed, dried, then rinsed again (even if they're brand new)

the coral needs to be rinsed also, put it in a strainer, rinse all the cloudiness out from it. then once you're happy, put it in a bowl, add some prime, stir it up abit and let it soak for a few mins.

prepare stocking pouches, add the coral, sew them up and add to the tank.

thank you for the compliment :) we've been helping eachother. it makes life easier when the owner of the fish is dedicated to providing the best for their finned friends. you have been wonderful also :heart

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you. I just want him to be ok. He's looking good now. I just wish he'd move around more. He's still staying in the same spot a lot. Hopefully he'll perk up soon! I'll send you the new numbers and pictures in the morning :).

• Supporter

ok, i look forward to the update.

as long as he's "perky" and alert, being in the same spot is no big issue.. heath wise, if he's looking good, pooping good, he may just have found his "chill" spot. how is his colouring looking to you? quality of the scales? does he look ok?

• Supporter

thank you shakaho :)

ehath, fantastic, this means everything is working.. it's so rewarding to know things are moving in the right direction.. we are still becoming stronger, so perhaps another week or two before he's healed enough to remove salts and see how he goes..

now, is it tonight the water representative is coming? or has already been? any news?

Yes he was here and found nothing. He said the pH could have been off. He said it can

fluctuate but should not be a lot. The man I talked with tonight at the mom and pop store told me to bring in the tap water too. He said he could test it. Maybe whatever it was is over now. I don't know. I wish we knew what it was. I'm still using store water for changes.

I was wrong about the carbon, it was not due to be changed. It was just some tubes that he replaced. But he did clean the carbon (not sure what was involved with that) and flush the entire system. We also did some tests for copper and iron and they were fine. I wish I had tested the tap water and the tank that night before we made the changes for the pH to see if that was it. I had never even thought to test the water going into the tank.

Today's Stats:

Ammonia - .25 ppm

Nitrites - 0

nitrates - 0

pH - 7.6

GH - 71.6 - 89.5

KH - 71.6 - 89.5

I'm not feeding him this morning. The floss from the store tank has been in since for about 10 hours. I had to remove our filter we had because the store floss was too big. Hopefully that was ok. I'm not sure how long it will take to cycle with that. I'm assuming I'll still see the ammonia go up until the nitrites rise, but I don't know how long that will take.

I put the coral in. I'm assuming that's why the pH looks so much better today. I'm concerned that it went up too fast. I did the test a couple of times and it was the same. It's a solid 7.6. I only say it that way because sometimes, ok a lot, I have a difficult time reading theses tests. Especially with the GH and KH. I'm not sure the GH and KH are really accurate. I wish they gave you a reference chart.

The water is a bit cloudy today because of the coral. Even though I really rinsed it. I prepared two bags for the tank but as I was putting them in I realized I made them too big so I only put one in.

I'll upload pictures when the water clears ... hopefully soon.

• Supporter

hun! awesome news! :clapping: doesn't he look fine?

ph is fine, because it's been raised naturally, there is no concern. now, i read that you said you had to remove your filter because the floss was too big. are you saying that there is no filter in there at all now?

With this new filter, there was a cartridge that had the floss and carbon together. I removed that cartridge and put the floss he gave me. The area for the floss is so small I could not put both in there. Is that ok?

• Supporter

yes, no problem.. we normally do not have carbon in the filter unless we're removing medication (carbon assists in removing medication) keep this in mind also if ever you need to medicate, whilst medicating, remove carbon from filter as the meds will have no effect.. hopefully, you will never need to medicate. as long as there is a filter with the cycled media in there, then no problem. i am wondering why you are showing ammonia after a waterchange and a skipped meal. did you accidentally overfeed him by any chance? when is the next waterchange?

KH and GH are looking better because of the coral.. the buffer should be arriving tomorrow, correct?

also, once you saw the reading of ammonia, did you add some prime to bind it?

No, I didn't add it. I didn't realize I should. Do I add just the same dose as if treating new water? For a 10 gallon, add up to the first grove in the cap? Just to be sure, this is the only thing I need when adding new water, right? With the floss from the store, will the tank still cycle? The first time we did it, it took 1.5 months to fully cycle. I thought having the floss from the existing tank would make this time a lot shorter.

Yes it's possible I fed him too much before. I am counting out the food now and he has not had anything today.

I have not done the water change yet today.

... and yes the buffer should be here tomorrow! I'll only use that when adding new water, right? Also, do I need to worry about adding water to the tank if the pHs are different today? I have more coral so I could start to soat that now.

• Supporter

that will be a great idea as you don't have the buffer yet.

place the airstone at the bottom of the tub, put the coral ontop of the airstone, at least then we know that the water is receiving the benefit of the coral to raise the PH in a speedy fashion :D

you can prime the water just before you add it to the tank.