Please Help Fast

ehath

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supporter

There is no yellow, it's just a light blue ... just not as dark.

i meant in order to compare which way the result was going on the results chart. so if it's a paler blue, i recommend adding the buffer to get the PH higher. springwater will reduce PH levels to a point of crashing.. if you can add the buffer to bring the PH up, that will be better.

Your fish are GORGEOUS! After seeing your tank, I turned on the other bubbler. He's calmed down a lot and he seems back to how he was this morning.

When we first set up the 10 gallon, we had the filter and the two stones. I thought that was a lot of movement so we took one out. I still thought it was a lot, so we turned the other one off. I'm hoping maybe I was just wrong and having these back on will fix it ????

• Supporter

The air stone has been running for about 2 hours. I have another one I can add also.

i don't think adding another airstone is necessary.. you mentioned that he's already starting to act normal again, i would only change something if he is not happy. most often i will change things back to what they were when he was happy. which is what we are doing now, aside from the salt that will be increased with your next water change. but instead of going up a whole teaspoon per gallon, we will increase it to half teaspoon per gallon. ok?

as we've already covered, salt will increase levels of ammonia in the tank, so it is absolutely essential that you test frequently for ammonia. the longest unnattended time that ammonia will have the chance to build will be whilst you are sleeping :) with a non cycled filter, i would feed little, once per day, preferably morning, and then do a nice 50% water change in the evening right before bed. at least then you know that food is out from his system and there is little chance of ammonia rise of a night time.

• Supporter

Your fish are GORGEOUS! After seeing your tank, I turned on the other bubbler. He's calmed down a lot and he seems back to how he was this morning.

:thanks

When we first set up the 10 gallon, we had the filter and the two stones. I thought that was a lot of movement so we took one out. I still thought it was a lot, so we turned the other one off. I'm hoping maybe I was just wrong and having these back on will fix it ????

as i said above, i would just go back to what you had when he was happy. he's a small fish in a big world on his own, having been through a lot. trying to fix himself with your helping hand. he needs to chill as much as possible, still weak from being poisoned from whatever claimed his tank mates. lets take baby steps and keep him as comfortable and stress free as possible.

2 air stones may be too much for him at the moment. i am sure he will gain strength in good time, then we can add the second one.

how does that sound?

now, did you add the prime to bind the ammonia? and will you remove the second stone you just turned on?

how's his breathing at the moment?

Yes, I turned off the 2nd and he seems ok. Still doing that open mouth thing, but not as often. He's also not at the top now.

Thank you! You probably think I'm a spaz. I am just worried. You've been great.

Today:

Ammonia - 0 (or close to it)

Nitrites - 0

Nitrates - 0

ph: maybe 6.8 I'm having such a difficult time with this test

New Test and this one is a bazaar test. I'm not sure I did this one right. As soon as there was a tint of the color it was suppose to be, I stopped the test. I'm using API.

KH - 35.8

GH - 53.7

I've looked in several stores and can't find the buffer you talked about. The guy at the store suggested adding baking soda to raise it, if I was going to do anything. I asked him about a comparable product to the buffer, but he seemed unsure. I did pick up baking soda and API's pH up. I have not done anything yet. I can buy that buffer online but it will take 2 days.

He also seemed concerned about the tank cycling. He offered to give me some gravel to aid in the cycling. We both forgot, but I can go back and get it. He mentioned adding some of the bacteria once the ammonia gets higher. But I've read that these really don't do much.

But he's looking good this morning. Even last night I noticed his dorsal up ALL the time. I've put in a little, new, house for him. He did get caught in the current of the fitter last night. It really bothered him. He turned upside down for a few seconds even after I unplugged the filter. Since then, I have seen him swim through it ok. I also picked up the wand bubbler and I'm going to get that in this morning. I wanted to be able to watch him for a while when I put it in ... just in case.

I was wrong on the KH. I did not realize the directions said "bright yellow." This one took 5 drops so it was 89.5. I am not sure if I did the GH one long enough. I just waited until there was a tint of green.

• Supporter

wonderful that the ammonia is 0..and yes, the tank is uncycled. if he really wants to help you out, he should be fine parting with some actual filter media. if he can part with some cycled filter media, then you just add it to your filter and bam!, next to instant cycle. i would prefer that you don't put gravel in the tank as he's not strong enough yet and may choose to bottom sit. gravel can trap nasty bacteria and/or be rough on his belly.. i don't have any gravel in my tanks and i kicked myself for not getting rid of it sooner.

can you upload a photo of the ornament?

the baking soda can be used, but it's not stable, ie, it will work for a short time and then expire. the buffer i showed you or the seachem alkaline buffer are the best to use, order either online see to use the soda in the interim.

KH and GH, yes, the moment the colour changes is when the reading is correct. they need to be between 100-200 each. now, you received the information paper with the kit yes? lets work on how to bring that up for now. did you manage to ask him for some crushed coral?

I have to admit, I would have never thought to not have gravel. But I LOVE the look of your tank! It really shows off your fish. I really love the contrasts with the green. Everything looks so clean! Plus, even for this short time, I can see what is left in the tank. I'm wondering how much I was over feeding before. I think the filter does a better job without the gravel.

• Supporter

the baking soda is fine for now, but it is really short term, ie, if your tank was cycled and you did weekly water changes. ,if you added baking soda to the water when changed, it will not keep the KH PH stable to the next water change. the buffers we recommend do. so it's great that you can either pick up or order it today.

the ornament is fine. it made me chuckle.. lol.. but just be sure that you dedicate a cleaning sponge for the tank only and once you've cleaned the inside glass, give the inside of the ornament a clean also each time you water change.

do you know if the guy is prepared to part with some cycled media from his filters?

I have to admit, I would have never thought to not have gravel. But I LOVE the look of your tank! It really shows off your fish. I really love the contrasts with the green. Everything looks so clean! Plus, even for this short time, I can see what is left in the tank. I'm wondering how much I was over feeding before. I think the filter does a better job without the gravel.

i was just watching this when you replied.. here they are in action:

When we add the coral, does that raise the pH gradually? Will I need to worry about the water we add?

The water guy will be here tonight.

My daughter decorated the large tank. It's mostly pink and purple with neon blue gravel :)

• Supporter

When we add the coral, does that raise the pH gradually? Will I need to worry about the water we add?

The water guy will be here tonight.

My daughter decorated the large tank. It's mostly pink and purple with neon blue gravel :)

the PH in the tank will stay stable at whatever the coral brings it to.. hopefully high sevens. the buffer you order will need to be mixed in with the water that you are going to add to the tank, before you add it. ie, you match the PH and the temperature of the water that is being added to that of the tank prior to adding it.

personally, i would remove the gravel from the large tank also. you can have some scattered accross the bottom just for amusement/entertainment as goldfish love to forage, but i'm talking just a cup full scattered.. that's plenty to keep them entertained.

i was thinking of just putting some clear or lightly tinted glass pebbles in my tanks. but i really like how reflective they are when they're bare, it also looks a lot cleaner and is far easier when it comes to scrubbing. i also found with my old tank that the gravel made big scratches on the base glass. my supplier said that lucky to buy new ones as the old tank would have needed repairs soon :o .

I really like your fish! How big are they?

they range between 10-12" the smaller ryukin, is not in that video. he was keeping the other tank cycled for us. his name is Apollo, he's in my sig, he's 9"

They're so big! Ours were not that size yet. I never thought they'd have as much personality as they do.

We'll get the coral and put a cup for or so into the filter in a bag.

Thank you!

• Supporter

yah, tuna i say :D i am very happy with them.. goldfish have wonderful characters.. given the correct environment, they become carefree and look for things to do. this is when you can interact and bond with them. they really are wonderful fish and great companions :)

I was able to get some floss from an existing tank at the store. I'm not sure if I should put it in. I'm nervous if there is anything bad in it but I think it will will be better for him ... if it works.

It seemed like a mom and pop store. It's the first time we were there. We have not lived in the area long so I’m not sure. He was an older guy and was talking about the make up of ammonia molecules in the tank and apologized for talking like that but he had a masters in chemistry and he enjoyed it. Not that it means much, but I just sort of got the idea that he was doing it because he loves it. He liked your idea with the coral. The fish seemed healthy. That said, I have no idea.

Do I just put the coral in the bottom of the tank like stone? I can't fit it in the filter.

I did order the buffer. It should be here Saturday.

Are you on your computer all the time? :)

I read your blog. It's really cute!

Edited by ehath

• Supporter

i say add it.. lil fishie is becoming stronger and we have salt in the tank. if anything like parasitic happens, we can add prazi and that can safely be used with salt at basically any level.

i would still put the coral in a stocking/bag so that it just does not go anywhere, you can make 2 bags of it, ie either side of the tank, but try to put it where the current is mostly strong. fantastic news on the buffer :)

i have online businesses as well as other investments happening where i can monitor them online, so yeah, 80% of my business day is spent on the computer.. i work about 16 hours per day, but it's not all painful. koko's makes it fun :)

blog? haha, you should start your own!.. it's fun being here, we enjoy the company of our members. it's a nice friendly place to make good friends :heart

Are regular stockings that you wear ok? Just seems funny.

I'll add the floss and hope for the best.

I'm glad you've been around as much as you have! You're helping me so much. Thank you!