Please Help Fast

ehath

I made a mistake with the food ... just habit :(. I did that yesterday too. I'll be better about that. I don't soak the food. Should I be? I also use to give them a tiny bit of flakes and pellets at the same time so they could have a mix. But that's too much now. This one was the smallest of the 4 too. I'm glad you think his eyes and gills look good. Just a side note, the water guy is coming tomorrow night. Hopefully something will stick out! I really don't think I can thank you enough for all your time and help! THANK YOU !

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll turn the bubbles on while I'm right there. I'm not sure if it will do much in a short time. I almost think the filter is too much for the tank but there is no adjustment for it. We purchased it pretty quick and just got a kit. It's a Aqueon Quiet Flow 10 and says it's for aquariums up to 20 gallons (our tank is 10 gallons). It has a flow rate of 100 gallons per hour. I'm not sure if it's because there is nothing in the tank, but it just seems like it's moving a lot.

• Supporter

you can put a cup or a bowl in there if he would like to get some chill time from the current on the odd occasion (just remember to clean at the same time as the waterchanges you do). but if you think the filter provides enough aeration and and surface agitation without the bubbler..it's fine to leave the bubbler off :)

I have a cave from the larger tank. It's the smallest thing we have, minus the plants. We've bleached them with the filter going and then did another cycle with just water. That's been running for a day now. I'm so nervous to put anything from the old tank into this one. I can pull the cave, rinse it, and dry it in the sun and put it into the new tank. I'm just nervous.

• Supporter

i would use a nice big cup or a roundish vase, but position it so it does get some water movement through it.. some friends use terracotta plant pots :) anything that will suit really. as long as it is clean and can be easily cleaned.

So Happy to hear your little fellow is still with you and looking so good :) he is adorable too :) your filter @100gph is perfect for your 10 gallon tank, after all has settled it will make a great qt tank for when you decide to get more goldfish for the bigger tank ;)

keep us posted on your little guys progress :)

I'm going to attempt to upload a video. He is gasping for aire a lot today. He's swimming more at the top. I've turned back on the air bubble. I have another one I can hook up too. He's swimming frantically now. Any suggestions?

http://www.hathawaysolutions.com/images/v-telegasp.avi

http://www.hathawaysolutions.com/images/v-telegasp.avi

• Supporter

ok,.i tried the video, it doesn't load for me. just brings up the video media player. can you try upload it to youtube or photobucket?

increase salt to 0.1% and see if that makes a difference. go back to the areation you had before, that seemed to help him.

• Supporter

i would remove him the same way i explained to add him, buy scooping him out with the container (this is minimal sress method and allow him to enter the container, don't chase him with it) do a complete 100% water change. add prime as recommended from the bottle and salt 2 teaspoons per gallon to have him at 0.2%.. introduce the areation he was in before when his breathing was better.

match temperature and PH as closely as possible.

I've had just the filter on for over 24 hours now.

I have 3 gallons of spring water left after his last water change. I can run to the store but he'll be like that for about an hour. Do you think I shoud do just the 3 and then run out to get more? The filter will not be able to be on.

• Supporter

tell me what the water parameters are and let me know if the picture you showed just now is yawning or is he rapidly breathing like that. how often would you say that he does what he is doing in the photo and for how long?

He's doing that a few times in a row and then stopping. Then does it again.

The temp is 77 degrees. Testing the rest now.

ok

• Supporter

at 77F the air in the water is dissolving fast. the bubbler needs to be added. if you can get or add a bubble wand to spread the air arond the tank and just pinch the tube as needed, i think that will be a better solution. if photobucket is working, i will upload a pic of my ryukin tank so you can see how effective the bubblewand is.

• Supporter

ok.. to me? water quality.. awaiting tests results. could be also that with temp you removed the airstone and as i said, the oxygen in the water is dissolving too soon. my rocky used to do that.. and he's push himself backwards that way, but this was just behavioural.. on the odd occasion, he does it still, but hardly ever now.

pH close to 7.2. I'm having a difficult time reading this one.

Ammonia:0 but maybe a tiny bit darker. Not enough to register on the chart for the next level.

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 0

• Supporter

7.2 when you say close to, is it more to the pale blue/yellow or pale blue/deep blue? add the buffer if towards pale blue/yellow.

for ammonia, add the prime as per bottle instructions. prime will bond the ammonia. have you added the air stone?

• Supporter

here are the bubblewands in action.. see how they provide air to most parts of the tank where filters lack doing so?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67513974@N07/6146877805/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67513974@N07/6147425220/

i had to create a flikr account. not sure if this will work here :(