Please Help Fast

ehath

• Supporter

flukes are a gill parasite. we can normally determine if the fish has a fluke infestation by their behaviour.. ie, when they are affected, they thrash around the tank frantically.. rubbing their bodies either on the tank glass, ornaments or gravel. it's quite noticable.. if he was just shaking a couple of times and this has stopped or slowed to almost stopping, then i wouldn't be too concerned for now.

as well as all this, frequent yawning can be an indication of fluke infestation.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Window closed.

Ammonia 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 0

pH between 7.2 and 7.6

I'm going to look more up about flukes. My daughter actually said the other day that it looked like they were eating algae off the glass but they weren't. Theire noses were up against it. I don't know what the yawning would look like. Could I mistake that for them not getting enough air?

On the all orange one and another white one :(, both who had the ich the worse, had a little blackening on them right after the spots from the ich cleared up. I had attributed this to healing. On the white one, they had completly gone away. The orange one still had some black parts on his fins but it was dramatically better and you could see his fin regrowth. When we first noticed something was wrong on Saturday, they were not eating. A water change had not been done for a week. So part of me is worried that even if something in the water cause them to go quickly, was there something else wrong too.

Sorry, I thought I had typed that. It's 72 degrees.

• Supporter

it's hard when you know you are doing everything right.. particularly as you said, you were bringing them back to good health from Ich.. to see all the good improvements also. i can imagine how you felt when things were looking so good to this. sometimes, this hobby can be emotionally destroying.

we strongly believe that there is something wrong with the well water. this is why we're seeing some good improvement with the spring water and salt combined.

i lost my favourite fish recently, to a rapid eye infection. it's been about 3 weeks now and i am still shocked. prior to that, i had another situation with rust poison. lost two to that also. but before then, my fish experience was literally flawless for many years. within 3 months, i lost 3 of my favourites. fishkeeping can be so cruel sometimes.

you are determined and a caring person to your hobby. i, well, we all have our fingers crossed that with your love and care for little fishie, he's gonna make good progress as each day passes.

there are huge rewards when all goes well, goldfish are the best fish for character and bonding. well, i found this to be my experience in all this :)

i recommend a bubble wand and temp at around 78F

Edited by stakos

I'm so sorry about your fish.

Thank you for your encouraging words. All your help and wisdom has been greatly appreciated. We are so new to all of this. I just wish I was able to react faster and wondering how I could have stopped it. I feel like I let them down. :( I really hope they did not suffer too much.

We agree, something may not be right with the water. Hopefully we'll find out today.

I was just watching him. He's not been moving very much. He came over and looked right at me for a while and I noticed that his eyes bulged out a few times and then when back in. I've never noticed that on him before. Is this normal?

It may just be that I was looking at him from the front and he was looking to the side ... not sure.

Edited by ehath

• Supporter

ok.. you need to work out if he has fluid rings around his eyes, or if he was just looking up and down or side to side. they lack colour in the folds of the eyes that can sometimes appear kind of greyish. the fluid rings i mentioned, they look like small donuts around the eye. are you able to take a close up pic of each eye and post back?

I just tried for the pictures and did some video too. They are not turning out well. The pic I put on this morning you can sort of see that gray you were talking about. His eyes are black so it's really hard to tell. It may have been shifting since that's how I see it now, but I don't know. I can't tell if the very tips of his fins are a bit frayed.

• Supporter

ok.. if it were rings, they would be rather noticable. ie, puffy like, all around they eye, greyish. you would see them all the time, not just when moving the eye. so if you don't see puffy greyish rings (almost like donuts) then we're fine.

re the fraying of the fins, is there any kinda whiteness to it? or is it just clean fraying?

the fish has been through a lot of stress and starting to get better again. it's only natural that we see some sings of stress. i am surprised that there is no blood streaking in his tail, so he seems to be handling it quite well. lets get him as back to normal as possible health wise and we'll worry about the fraying fins in a few days if the salt has not helped to heal them.

another way the fins can be fraying, is that if he's sitting too close to the airstone. the bubbles coming from the airstone can fray fins.

how is the pooping going? does he have nice n healthy poops?

Edited by stakos

I do see rings like donuts, but like the one in the picture. Is it something else? What would that mean if there is?

No poops yet. I would think soon since he ate like a piggy this morning.

• Supporter

ok.. i am trying to show you a photo another member gave as an example. but photobucket is outta action atm. you can find an example of what i am explaining so that you can compare to lil fishie here http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/93747-help-white-circles-around-eyes/page__hl__popeye__fromsearch__1 . it is post #17 on page #1

click the before photo and then compare that to the other photo's in the same post and tell me if that's what you notice on your fish.

I don't think so. I think he's had these for a while. His eyes are so dark. I don't know if I'm over analyzing everything now. I'm thinking of my big orange one. I had asked my husband if it look like his eyes were out a little before he had died and before anyone seemed sick. I need to stop. He's swimming a little now. I'm just so scared we're going to lose him too.

• Supporter

it's ok hun.. how you're feeling now is totally normal. i would suggest that for now, we stick to current plan. keep checking his eyes from time to time, ie, every feed and reassess then.. take pics if needed so that you have a continuing refrence to look back on so that you are absolutely sure.

not only has this fish been through a lot of recent, so have you.. so you're both going to need a vacation soon.. (can i recommend Australia? summer is almost here! LOL)

the main thing to do here, and now, is to relax. let everything for him creep back into "normal" focus on nice clean water changes, replacing the salt you remove with every water change.

when is the next water change? later today or tomorrow? and how much are you intending on changing?

• Supporter

with these water params that you posted earlier:

Ammonia 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 0

pH between 7.2 and 7.6

i would leave it till the end of the day., infact, right before you get to bed and give him a nice 30-50% waterchange, resalt only for the quantity of water you remove and replace. ie, if removing 50% water, when you add that 50% water back, include 2.5 teaspoons of salt (as you're currently maintaining 0.05% salt) correct?

don't forget to match the PH and the water temperature as close as possible and remember to dissolve the salt, allow to cool prior to adding.

He seems to still be doing fine this morning. We did the water change and used the Prime again. We added 1/2 tsp per gallon we added. Ammonia : 0, Nitrites : 0, Nitrates : 0, pH : 7.6 temp: 78 degrees. I would expect the Ammonia to start to increase soon. I've attached a couple of pictures. One I zoomed in so you could see his gill. It seems to be really red but that is also where he has some orange so it may just make it look more red. I also noticed his eyes more in the same one. But I included the non zoomed image as well so it doesn't distort anything. I did turn off the bubbler because it seems there was just so much movement in the tank. The filter has a waterfall. I can turn it back on. I was just not sure if it was causing him to work too hard. He was an oinker again this morning :).

tele914-2.jpgdscf4886.jpgdscf4895.jpgdscf4894.jpg

• Supporter

wow hun! he's looking terrific! :)

gills look fine to me, as well as eyes. currently, i really do not see an issue with the eyes.

only thing i see wrong, is that you're feeding him too much. do you presoak the food? of his size, he sould only need about 3-4 pellets per feed.

ammonia will come back if filter is not cycled, so daily waterchanges will be required until that happens.

• Supporter

as long as you feel there is plenty of aeration in the water and sufficient surface agitation so that there is no stagnant water, i say ok for the bubbler to be removed also

good work! :)

Edited by stakos