Please Help Fast

ehath

I was reading your posts and hoping this little one would pull through for you. He is looking much better than how you described him to be when this first happened. I think the clean water will be helping a lot, and its a good sign that he is more active and willing to eat.

Im not sure would could have killed all your fish in such a short space of time, perhaps some contaminant in the water if you are using well water. Could something have got into the well, have you had heavy rain recently? I am unsure of your location.

Here is to hoping he continues to make a full recovery for you, tough little guy. :-)

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you! We've had a bunch of unusual weather. We've been hit with a hurricane and and then heavy rains. Many places are flooded. We had even lost power for 2 days 2 weeks ago. I was not sure if that started everything since the filter and aeration were off.

We're starting the bleach the 40 gallon tank now.

I know some people who have lost fish when losing power for a period of time so that could certainly be it. It sounds to me more like a poisoning of some sort. I wonder if something leached into your water? Normally, a water change when something is off is exactly the right course of action. It is absolutely what I would have done as well. But if something was in the well water then you are replacing bad water with more bad water. Just a thought. I have lost two fish to poisoning before...it was awful. The little guy looks like he is perking up in his new digs. He is a real cutie and you are doing a great job with him.

That's why we're using spring water to fill the tank for now. We've tested the water with a kit from Lowes that tests copper and iron as well. They were both fine. I'm not sure of the quality of the test. We're concerned enough to not be using it ourselves right now too.

Thank you for your kind words. It's been a really sad 24 hours.

I am so sorry. There can be all kinds of junk in water that our tests don't pick up. This is a bit off topic, but my white dog had really bad tear stains until I switched him to filtered water. So tap water can be scary for everyone.

we have 1 gallon of bleach running through with 20 gallons of water in the empty tank.

He's still doing ok in the 10 gallon tank so far.

Edited by ehath

He's hanging in there. Lights are out for him now. He ate twice today. I was so happy to see that. We did take one of the air stones out becauce between the two stones and the filter, there was a lot of movement. We're about to take the bleach out of his big tank now. We're going to then circulate that with clean water for a bit ... two different times. The ph is low. I could not find what you recommended. It was 7.6. I'm not sure if we should start to correct that. I think I can order yours online but not sure if it can wait 2 days. He is NOT swimming at the top at all and he is swimming around a bit. But he's also still sitting on the bottom some.

Stakos, you have been so great to me. Thank you so much.

• Supporter

good news :)

7.6 is good, no need to worry, infact, next time you're at a pet store or the LFS, pick yourself up some crushed coral. it's pretty inexpensive and you just need to put about 3/4 cup into a clean and rinsed stocking. rinse the crushed coral well, soak it in some "primed water" make like a pocket/bag and add that to the filter. this will keep your PH stable for about 6 months :)

i wouldn't be in a rush to move him from the 10 gallon until he's swimming strong and healthy again, sometime, the less water, the better, particularly for ill fish.

thank you for the compliment. you too have been awesome. he's a very lucky little fishy and it's so nice to see him! strong thoughts of healing :flex: .

I feel like you stayed up with me last night! :)

I think I may stop bugging him tonight. It's dark and he may need to rest. He has not once been stuck in the filter (which I was very scared of) or unable to swim with all the flow. I'm hoping that means he should be good tonight.

He has none of his stuff so I thought he'd be a little scared. I think he has one cave that I can put into that size tank. It's in the large tank with the next dose of water w/out bleach. Maybe we can add that one back in tomorrow. I just feel bad for him. We'll wait on the big tank.

We also have a call into the water guy. Hopefully he can come out tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the advice. We wouldn't have the one if it were not for all the advice here.

Hi ehath! I am SOO SOO glad that he made it through! I tried to log on this morning but for some reason my phone wasn't allowing it. But I am so glad to see the end results of your and Stako's long night! I am so so glad that the spring water is working well for now! :)

I know some people who have lost fish when losing power for a period of time so that could certainly be it. It sounds to me more like a poisoning of some sort. I wonder if something leached into your water? Normally, a water change when something is off is exactly the right course of action. It is absolutely what I would have done as well. But if something was in the well water then you are replacing bad water with more bad water. Just a thought. I have lost two fish to poisoning before...it was awful. The little guy looks like he is perking up in his new digs. He is a real cutie and you are doing a great job with him.

I agree with Amy 100%. I really think it's a poisoning. Not a disease or anything you could have really prevented.

That's why we're using spring water to fill the tank for now. We've tested the water with a kit from Lowes that tests copper and iron as well. They were both fine. I'm not sure of the quality of the test. We're concerned enough to not be using it ourselves right now too.

If it were me, I wouldn't use it either.

would letting the water run a bit help get the junk out of the pipes?

I highly doubt it. I think this is a problem with the well itself, not the pipes. If it were the pipes, the symptoms would have been more gradual. If it were the pipes, the idea of running the water for a few minutes would be a good one. But, because this came on all of the sudden, I really really suspect it is a well problem. Definitely something to get checked out by a professional, to be sure! :)

He's hanging in there. Lights are out for him now. He ate twice today. I was so happy to see that. We did take one of the air stones out becauce between the two stones and the filter, there was a lot of movement. We're about to take the bleach out of his big tank now. We're going to then circulate that with clean water for a bit ... two different times. The ph is low. I could not find what you recommended. It was 7.6. I'm not sure if we should start to correct that. I think I can order yours online but not sure if it can wait 2 days. He is NOT swimming at the top at all and he is swimming around a bit. But he's also still sitting on the bottom some.

Stakos, you have been so great to me. Thank you so much.

I am so happy that you and Stakos got the whole situation worked out and that he's still alive! I agree with Stakos that 7.6 is nothing to worry about. It's a very good number. Do you happen to know your Kh and GH? I am suspecting that because you have ground water, not lake water you have a relatively high Kh. High Kh is good, cuz it means stable pH.

Aaaaand, here's a dancing banana just for your little survivor fish!

:nana

He ate like he use to, frantic. He's using more of the tank too. But, one thing that is concerning me a bit is his top fin. About 3 weeks ago we had ich and all the fish were recovering. It had done something to all of their fins. But their fins were recovering. I'm attaching a picture but I'm not sure if it will come through. Can you see the very top part of the fin is longer than the rest of it? On a picture I posted yesterday it may be more pronounced. I'm not sure if that is worse today. I had originally thought it was just him healing from 3 weeks ago, but now I'm not so sure.

tele913.jpg

• Supporter

i just compared the two pics, i think it looked longer to you yesterday as the dorsal was lowered somewhat in the first pic. here, it is higher.. i have just had a look at rocky (he's in my sig and a fantail) he too has the same system happening :D

when he lowers his dorsal, the front bit looks longer than the rest. i say it's something you may not have noticed before and at this point i see no reason for concern.

when fish are feeling ill, a good sign of this is that their dorsal is lowered (we consider this as fins being clamped) when the fish is becoming of good health, the dorsal should remain erect at all times. so it's good to see this pic of him with his dorsal erect.

do you mean the ray which has grown longer then the others? I saw that in your old pic. that isn't a concern. sometimes fish grow in strange ways :)

I meant the dorsal. I had thought it was just him healing but it seemed different today. I noticed him wiggling a lot when he moved last night. Almost shaking but not quite. I don't notice that as much this morning.

Do you know if not having a light for this tank is an issue? The room has light, not direct but does not have one in the lid. If it's an issue, I can get one.

Would you recommend any water changes today if the levels are all good or just leave it? Should we keep the salt at the 1/2 tsp per gallon?

Thank you again for all your help!

• Supporter

ok.. so shaking as though he may have flukes? or shaking something off his body? how often would you say he does this?

no light is no problem. as long as he gets some light during the day from natural or from the room light switched on.

can i ask the temp of the tank water? perhaps it's a little too cool? and i say leave the salt at 1/2 tsp per gallon, he seems to be improving with only that much in there.

please post the parameters of the water so that we too can see what the current situation is.

ammonia

nitrates

nitrites

ph

if you have them:

kh

gh

• Supporter

flukes are a gill parasite. we can normally determine if the fish has a fluke infestation by their behaviour.. ie, when they are affected, they thrash around the tank frantically.. rubbing their bodies either on the tank glass, ornaments or gravel. it's quite noticable.. if he was just shaking a couple of times and this has stopped or slowed to almost stopping, then i wouldn't be too concerned for now.

the reaction could also be from the salt, which is harmless.

do you have a heater for the tank available?