Sign in to follow this  
ehath

Please Help Fast

ehath, how's it going hun, i notice you're on atm? is little fishie still with us? i got my fingers crossed for some good news.

stakos gave you great advice, I hope your last fish pulls through :)

When you buy the pH buffer, no matter what the store clerk tells you, do NOT buy the API pH up product. It sucks, that's all I am saying.

What Helen probably means is the "Seachem Gold Buffer", but I know that not all stores carry it, as it is a products specifically for goldfish, or the Seachem Alkaline Buffer. The Alkaline Buffer can usually be found at most pet stores, as far as I have seen.

ok.. we posted at the same time! whew, what a relief! i am so happy to hear that he's still alive.

all of the above that you will do is awesome for our little friend..

the PH should be matched as closely as possible from what he is in now, then gradually increased if needed. safe is 7.4 and upwards. i keep my tanks at 8.4 - 8.6. but if your PH is at 7.4, you should maintain that for the 10 gallon and gradually increase it after adding the fish.

how to transfer him with minimal stress?

i would first prepare the 10 gallon. leave enough room for additional water when you add little fishie. then, slowly drain enough water from the container (disregard this water) so that he is only just covered with old water. then place the container in the 10 gal and tilt it slowly, he should just slowly swim out of the container and into the tank.

thanks fang :)

ehath, we take emergencies as they come. there shouldn't be a medicine cabinet for fish as medfood has an expiry.

the only thing that could be of help in most emergencies is aquarium salt, epsom salt and prime. but the key is many waterchanges, nice clean water.. keep ornament and gravel bacteria free.

nice clean water = healthy, happy fish.

this is all i have in my cabinet other than food:

9f3962d1.jpg

Thanks everyone!

Is the Prime the same type of product as the API Tap Water Conditioner?

New 10 gal tank. Do I salt this w/ 1 tsb per gal? Not looking that great.

ok.. salt is 1 teaspoon per gallon. so 10 teaspoons of salt which need to be dissolved with some warm/hot water first and then added to the tank when cooled. now, did you get the prime? this will bind ammonia if you've lost the cycle in your filter. i have my fingers crossed this will help.

About how long have you had this aquarium up and running? All the salt adding makes me very nervous, and I think it should be decreased or not used at all at this time. If there's any Ammonia present the addition of salt can make the Ammonia more toxic. Beyond that, the addition of salt, most especially in larger quantities can harm the cycle. Since we only seem to have some of the required info and no pictures of the situation, I'll have to blindly give you my advice. All I can think to suggest is frequent small water changes with pH and temperature matched water, turn the lights off if there are any, and closely monitor the water params. I do hope a Moderator stops by soon though as they could likely provide more advanced advice. I'll try PMing one...

Edit: Concerning the salt you could also do what Helen suggested and use Prime or AmQuel to combat the issue of possible Ammonia.

Edited by Kateana

Yes, we found the exact Prime you mentioned. So we have a brand new 10 gal tank with all spring water set up as the emergency tank. We have a new air valve and are setting up the smaller filter. The only water from last night, which was also spring, was added into the tank. So we'll add the salt now? I'm nervous to. There should be no salt currently in the tank.

ok, it was supposed to be 1 teaspoon per gallon. but don't worry, with your next water change, how much water do you have for changing? we will work out a correct dose.

There was a typo ... sorry. I put in 1/2 teaspoon per gal. He's not looking great. just sitting at the bottom.

how is his coloring and slime coat looking? How are his fins? Clamped or relaxed? His breathing?

ok.. whew. can you upload a picture? or a short video? he may just need to be adjusting from the small water volume he was in to the new one. when you moved him over, did you match the PH and was the temperature almost the same?

The well water goes into a bleech solution and then it's run through charcoal. It was a system installed by a pro. about a year ago. The charcoal needs to be replaced yearly so it's due to be serviced this month. I would think that should really take anything out.

When you say to bleech it, you mean mixed with water, right?

I'll start with new everything in the tank, including carbon.

I have no idea what has happened. I've been staying up watching the last one since he's in such a small space and the air stone has been really played with to get it to work ok in there. I'm worried it will detatch and hurt him or if too much air goes in he does not swim well right now. He does seem ok right now. The three fish died within 15 or 20 min. of each other I hope he's going to make it.

Yes, a bleach and water solution. If you set up a new tank I would also filter it with carbon for at least a day encase your home system is not doing the job. I would also do a full test on your tap water.

He looks like he's always looked except for the breathing. He's not gasping as much as the others had, but he never did. He's a bit more active now but not sure if it's because of the filter is going and he may have to move more. I can get pics but it will take me a bit too long to upload and I'm watching him just in case he gets trapped on the filter. I'm just worried he's too weak. I fed him a few pellets and he did eat it.

Yes on the set up and the water was close. We used the same spring water too.

His fins are not clamped, I think relaxed will describe it. They are not fully up maybe drooping down a bit.

i am relieved to hear that his situation has not worsened. adding the salt should assist with breathing and testing of ammonia is required. see if you can test for ammonia twice per day. as he is very fragile atm, we need to ensure there is no ammonia at all. there is no saying which way this will go hun. i just want to say that you are doing a fantastic job in keeping him alive :) he's lucky to have you, such a caring owner/friend.

i'm off to bed now, almost 2 am, i hope to wake tomorrow to some good news :)

Thank you so much for all your help. You've been really great.

His fins are perking up a bit and he's swimming around a bit more. I'll get a photo uploaded in a bit.

well, that news is just sending me off to bed with a huge smile on my face :) and a bit of a happy dance :carrot:

good work :clapping:

tele4.jpgtele5.jpgCurrent water conditions:

pH ~ 7.6 the regular test comes out at 7.6 and the High Range pH comes close to 7.4

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 0

Water temp: 70 degrees

Currently the water is filled to about 9 gallons. I'm going to also attach some pictures. He has had some food as you can see in the photos. I needed to feed him like that to get the pictures. There is a new filter and we've added 2 air bubblers.

We've added a total of 1.5 tablespoons of salt to the tank and used the prime that was suggested. There is all new spring water. He seems to be doing ok. He's swimming at the bottom most of the time.

As a summary: We had noticed our 4 goldfish not eating yesterday in the morning. This prompted us to do a 50% water change. Ammonia: 0, Nitrites 0 and Nitrates: 10 ppm. They declined during the day and a few hours later we did an 80% water change. Immediately after, we lost the 3 within 20 minutes. We moved the one to a temp bowl last night and then bought a new 10 gallon today until we can sanitize the 40 gallon tank. There is nothing in this tank as we have not cleaned everything and don't know what the cause of this was. There is a new filter.tele1.jpgtele2.jpg

Thank you to everyone who has responded. I know I did not answer all the question very well. Everything happened so fast. I really appreciate all the help.