Please Help Fast

ehath

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think for tonight, you will want to keep him in the water he's in. Moving him will only stress him out more.

For the next few days you might want to get water from the grocer (spring water, not distilled, as I mentioned).

I think you will want to get your well water tested again. By treatment system do you mean an RO/DI system?

--My guess is the recent storms you mentioned have kicked something up in your well that is somehow bypassing your system and got into your tank.

Do not switch to the other conditioner, I do not like the one with aloe vera in it as it causes breathing difficulties (hence why I asked if you were using it).

Keep us updated. It's about my bed time, but I will see if I can't find a mod/helper who is in a different timezone.

I don't think we want to put him back into the tank if it's something with the tank. Do you know if he'll be ok in the smaller container for a bit? I'll need to figure out how to decontaminate the tank. If it's ok until tomorrow, I know I can buy goldfish water for the tank. I am just not sure how he's doing.

Do not put him back in the tank. I meant to keep him in the container he is in now...sorry if that was confusing. He will be ok in a smaller container for now. Ammonia is an issue, but I really think it's some sort of pathogen in your water, which is a bigger problem than ammonia.

Red gills are good...pale gills are bad, purple gills worst.

Keep us updated.

EDIT: I would not put the filter on it as it will cause a lot of turbulence. But adding the bubbler and covering the container, or keeping the lights off will help destress.

Ok, I'm heading to bed as I have an early start tomorrow. But Stakos, our Aussie queen has your back now. :) Good luck hun, I'll check up on you in the morning.

• Supporter

hey hun.. i am sorry to hear of your fish troubles. really, at the moment and i know you may be thinking differently, given your circumstances, you are doing an awesome job.

right now, you've done what i would do given your situation. yes, i would consider putting an air stone in there and pinching the tube as much as necessary to not have the fish bothered by the current..

go down to the local store as soon as you can and get replenishment water as ryukin girl suggested. or, you can call a friend or family member who may be on a different water source from you and ask them to bring some water.

do not feed at all. fish can go upto one week without food. feeding in such a small space will spoil the water, cause ammonia and harm or death to the fish. water is to be kept as clean as possible.

if you have prime, this can be your best friend at the moment.

if you can get your fish into even 5 gallons, i would recommend you to salt at 0.05% to assist with breathing, but only if you install a bubbler..

what do you have available to you? can you get the water? and perhaps the prime? is there someone near you with a goldfish hobby that can help out during your emergency?

The air seems to be in ok but I'm not sure if it's too much. He's still gasping. He's moving more since the stone is in there. I do have some more spring water, maybe 1.5 gallons, but am just not sure what to put him in. I do have a large stainless steel cooking pot. I just thought the stainless steel would not work. Will that be better? I am really worried about stressing him out more with moving him.

I am not sure what prime is.

Thank you for your kind words.

Edited by ehath

We used 1/2 gallon of spring water.

We're taking out all the water in the tank. Do you know if it needs to be cleaned any special way? The place that has the goldfish water opens in about 10 hours. I'm not sure if I can use just spring water but if so, I can refill the tank sooner. But I don't know if there is something wrong with the tank.

Thank you so much for all your help.

• Supporter

ok.. there are methods of sterilizing the tank, with bleach.. i will have to find the info, gimme a min..

i just want to ask re the water? is it possible that something was scared during the storms, creeped in there for saftey but drowned? ie, is there something that may have died in the water source?

hello you can sterilize the tank with bleach. The standard concentration for bleach can be found here http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/41101-best-way-to-disinfect/page__view__findpost__p__463722

What you'll want to do is run that through the tank for awhile, filled. Then you will want to drain the tank and refill it with water, and then add prime to make sure all of the bleach has been completely eradicated. The prime eliminates the chlorine component. Then you will drain the tank again and let it dry out completely before filling it again. This is the method I have used and it works very well for me.

This is our first time that either of us has had a well. We've been here one year and the well is one year old. We have the part of the well that comes out of the ground in the back and it is sealed. It has a cap on it. I don't know how you remove it but it is capped. I'm not sure if something can get in any other place underground?

We are turning the airstone on and off every so often. I'm worried that he's having to work too hard when it's on. I hope that's not causing him more stress. I'm going to poke holes in the air tube to see if that limits it some.

• Supporter

good plan with the air tubing.. pinch the line as much as you can first, then poke holes in it.. ie, so that you don't poke too many holes too soon.

i say, leave your fish in the container. if you can find a larger one, great. at least in the container, with 1.5 gallons of clean water, you can do multiple small water changes.. ie, every 3 or 4 hours. do not feed.

forget the salt as i do not know how big the container you are using is. if you say that a cooking pot is larger, i can only imagine how small container the fish is in. would you say tissue box size? or larger?.

in any case, too small to risk fouling the water with anything.

so,

leave fish in container

use remaining 1.5 spring water for small but regular water changes. even if 2 cups at a time every 2-3 hours

ensure that you reach a good current flow with the airstone

morning, go get as much clean water as possible for clean and a water change to the 40 gallon.. try to get prime, and if you can, go get yourself a 10 or 20 gallon rubbermaid tub if you do not manage to sort the tank.

how does this sound? manageable?

The container is about 1/2 gallon and square. I do have a rubbermaid container but not enough water to fill it.

Right now, he's alive. I'm going to do the 1 cup water changes tonight. The holes in the air and some clamps worked on the stone. I'm going to watch that because he's had problems 2ce with it too strong.

I'll get the tank cleaned and run it with a bleach mix for about how long? Do you think just a few hours will work? I'm hoping to get him back into the tank with a filter as soon as possible. I really hope he makes it that long.

THank you for all your help. I'm really sad. I hope this one makes it.

I would clean the tank now. I bleach for a couple of hours. Followed by rinsing, then wiping it down, followed a soaking it again for an hour or so, then rinse it. Then I fill it again and put in about 4x the dechlorinator and soak it for a couple hours till you smell no bleach. Then empty the tank fill it and regular amount of dechlorinator and your done. All porous item should go in the trash. You will also need to recycle your tank. I just did this to one of my QTs.

If something is in a tank and it is killing fish you can add fresh carbon. Carbon will remove a lot of things from the water. It should be new and from a sealed container. If you use cartridges you should put them in a zip lock bag after the package is opened. Exposure to air degrades the effectiveness. Also plain water if you can. Tap water and freshly dechlorinated water will also degrade it.

How do you filter your well water?

The well water goes into a bleech solution and then it's run through charcoal. It was a system installed by a pro. about a year ago. The charcoal needs to be replaced yearly so it's due to be serviced this month. I would think that should really take anything out.

When you say to bleech it, you mean mixed with water, right?

I'll start with new everything in the tank, including carbon.

I have no idea what has happened. I've been staying up watching the last one since he's in such a small space and the air stone has been really played with to get it to work ok in there. I'm worried it will detatch and hurt him or if too much air goes in he does not swim well right now. He does seem ok right now. The three fish died within 15 or 20 min. of each other I hope he's going to make it.

Thank you for all your help and checking in with me. Just one small change so far. Going to do another soon. He's quieter. Still swimming some in spurts. I think he may be ok for now. I'm not sure. I think we're just going to get a 10 gallon tank first thing and fill it with spring water and the filter. That way we can take our time with the big tank.

• Supporter

:clapping: good move :)

and the 10 gal will come in handy later for qt'ing new fish also as a hospital tank.. great to hear. you may want to get a small filter to suit the 10 gal it also.

i am happy to hear that fishie is stable atm, good work :)

keep us updated and please, post back as often as you like with updates.. can you manage a pic of him?

• Supporter

hey, i was just thinking, seeing as you're going to LFS tomorrow, be sure to ask for Seachem Prime. if you're having PH stability problems, buy the Seachem PH Buffer also (must say buffer). these products cost a little bit of $ but they last longer and are very reliable.. also, take a sample of your water source and ask them to check for things that you don't have test kits for such as copper etc.. KH/GH is a good one to know also.. and just anything they can test for that you don't have kits for. i think that could be a very good place to start.

another thought, here, at our LFS's we are able to buy water from them. ask if they have water for sale, it should be cheaper than spring water from the store if it's available.

how are they?

Since you say that the well needs servicing for charcoal replacing this month. I think it could be that the storms added more pollutants to the charcoal then the 'usual' measured amount. So it got filled faster - and now it is leaking nasties back in the water. Is there any way you can have someone come and check the well set up?

You seem to be dealing with something of chemical origin which cannot be tested for with the kits. A dead animal I suppose would produce ammonia.

He's still alive! I will do all of that this morning. Just a few more hours until the new tank. I'll buy the 10 gallons of spring water. I'll set it up and then test the ph. What does it have to be to be safe and cause the least amount of stress? Any ideas on how to put him into the 10 gallon tank? Should I pour what he's in now? I'm worried about additional stress.

Thank you for the idea to have the PH buffer on hand. Can you think of anything else I should have on hand in case of an emergency?