Sign in to follow this  
Deku

Genetics Questions And Color Questions.

I got a question and I'd rather a more experienced person answer this(sorry guys) and I can wait for an answer.

So here's the question:

Is there a way I can induce a goldfish that already has a white colored body to stay white for ever and even turn its fins white?

Like this:

I know my goldfish won't get THAT fat. And I don't care if it does or doesn't. I just wanna know how THE HECK do I obtain that color?

How do I help the color stay like that forever? There must be a way people do it. I'ved seen a goldfish in a store once that was there for a year or two and it grew that big and was ALWAYS white. it NEVER ever changed its colors. I kid you not.

Is there any way possible to do this?

And with other fish like one like a black moor?

How do I induce this color variety to stay? I rather keep the moor black cause I have too many orange goldies xD It's a little "bleh" to see similar colors constantly. XD You know? Like I don't want all to turn the same color or another. I just want to help with the colors. I'm certain there MUST be one way or another to aid in this.

It's difficult to predict the colors of goldfish, and typically if you're purchasing fish from a petstore that's not obtaining quality bred goldfish, chances are the colors aren't very permanent. Usually the stable goldfish colors are orange and red.

Again, there's no real way to guarantee a goldfish will keep it's color, unless maybe if you purchase from a reputable breeder who's bred a line of fish with certain colors.

Generally black can be a very hard color to keep because sometimes it will turn to bronze or orange. If a white fish has orange spots, chances are they will probably deepen and spread.

To keep your vibrant oranges and reds, there are color enhancing foods. Many of the hikari lines have color enhancers as well as a couple other imported goldfish foods. Quality foods can be expensive though.

For your black moor, if you chose on with a deep, velvety black belly, chances are it will more likely keep the black velvet color. If you notice any bronze on the belly, it will likely eventually turn to orange.

For white, if you purchase a 3-4" fish that is all white, I would say 50-60% of the time it will stay that color. I've found that white is a pretty stable color if there aren't orange or red spots.

The only other thing I would add is that you may want to avoid color enhancing foods in this case.

I agree. I have permanent orange scales on my white fish from color enhancing foods.

The only other thing I would add is that you may want to avoid color enhancing foods in this case.

:bingo:

You can go to this site and get a copy of a really great book for free. Just do a trial membership to get the download then cancel it. The book is about $175.

http://www.docstoc.c...es-and-Genetics

Edited by Goldfish Chris

So what should I feed the white fish to avoid any other color showing up?

And with other fish like one like a black moor?

Hi solarFish,

I breed a few Black moor now for about 8 years and am on the 3 rd generation for parents.

they have always made all black babys, and stay that way, in fact never heard of any other colour problem until I read it here at this forum.(am I just very lucky?)

Only see the colour of red and white under the black when they die.In death the black receeds rapidly reveling what is under.

Food is mainly vegetable.

water is cold and high pH.

they are never submited to high stress .

of course babys take time to colour up and pop eyes ; only needs patience.

As Alex said, avoid any food that's labeled as "color enhancing" (it's very likely to put red/orange smears on white fish). Avoid foods rich in spirulina, as it can cause discoloration as well.

The chitin in shrimp can also affect coloration, so if a pristinely white fish is important to you, skip brine shrimp, mysis shrimp and shrimp-based pellets.

I wonder if that's why Istvan turned orange. :) Daniel fed Tinko and Kiku Saki Hikari goldfish pellets which is supposed to enhance color. LOL. Well now we know why Istvan went from completely jet black to a jack-o-lantern. :lol Oh well. :D I personally think fish are beautiful so long as they're healthy and I don't get too attached to coloring. (Or try not to at least.) :)

I just adopted two 13year old fishies and both are that color - snow white body and lemon fins :D

I think genetics play a HUGE role!

As Alex said, avoid any food that's labeled as "color enhancing" (it's very likely to put red/orange smears on white fish). Avoid foods rich in spirulina, as it can cause discoloration as well.

The chitin in shrimp can also affect coloration, so if a pristinely white fish is important to you, skip brine shrimp, mysis shrimp and shrimp-based pellets.

BUT what colors would you feed a fish that has a white body and ONLY a small smear of orange near the dorsal fin. ALL fins on this white ryukin are orange. But the body itself is white. Is there a way to turn the whole body completely white? or atleast take the orange smear off?

I think the moor will turn orange. I see a white underside and orange scales under the black starting to form. I'm feeding algea wafers atm along with boiled peas.