Sign in to follow this  
Deku

Tank Question.

I have a 55gallon aquarium that was set up a month ago cause I had to move the fish down stairs. Only 2 made it. Which one is a large ryukin(sunny) and a large oranda I thought was a fantail(I noticed a wen growth recently...its just pretty small), I also added a calico oranda, a black moor(telescope), and a ryuukin.

The tank now has lesser rocks(only a couple smoother rocks), zen garden grass matts and has two cycling pumps(think of a power head but more stronger) It's an aqueon 500(i have two of these) and it has 2 long air stones and a strong air pump. A canister filter(eheim pro series 2).

Is this a good set up? It has a black sand bottom(I like it like that). Like is it safe, clean and efficient? Not overcrowded?

Sounds like your stocked right to the max, so no more new fish in this tank. You've got good water circulation in the tank with your power heads.

The only thing I would worry about is that your 1 canister filter may not be able to keep up with the bioload for all 5 goldfish. If you haven't had a problem so far, it may be all good. I would worry that when it's time to maintain your filter and you clean it that you might cause a blip in your cycle with all the waste that 5 goldfish will produce.

The other thing is, is there proper water circulation under these "zen garden grass mats"? It might eventually be a place that will accumulate dirty gunk.

Otherwise, the rest sounds pretty good. :)

Edited by Tinkokeshi

I also think that 5 fancies in a 55 gallon is OK, but if possible, I would add another filter so that you are more somewhere in the 12x-15x filtration, as opposed to being just a little over 9x at the moment. Also, I would do at least one 80% WC a week, although more would be better of course. :)

Other than that, I think your set up sounds great. Would you please share vids/pics?

Right now, these are my two goldfish tank setups: 1) 55 gallon with 5 fancy goldfish, two HOBs totaling 675gph and 2) 100g with 9 adult goldfish, 4 HOBs totaling 1200gph. I also have black "sand" in one of them, and I definitely like it like that also.

:testkit:

Hehe, I've always wanted to use that. But seriously, keep a close eye on your parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate). That will be the real indication of how appropriate the set up is. I've had 5 fish in a 55 and found it challenging to keep things healthy, but not impossible. As others have suggested, another filter would really help.

Hahaha. I was just looking at that smiley and thinking... man! when will I ever get to use this?!

I have 4 goldfish in a 50 breeder. Most of the fish are large. Right now I only have to do a 50% water change once a week to keep the nitrates down. Could I add another fish? Most likely but I'm lazy and don't want to do more work. For you circulation pumps I would point one towards the surface for agitation and gas exchange. The other I would point at the bottom for a clean floor. Circulation pumps aren't generally used in gold fish tanks because they have pretty good flow from the filters.

How come only two of your fish "made it" when you moved them within your house? :blink:

Your filtration might be good for now, but keep in mind that your fish will grow and so will produce even more waste. It's not just about the fish's length, but it's actual body volume. With increasing size and body weight your fish might eventually overwhelm the filter, so adding another one might be a good idea, even now :)

How come only two of your fish "made it" when you moved them within your house? :blink:

Your filtration might be good for now, but keep in mind that your fish will grow and so will produce even more waste. It's not just about the fish's length, but it's actual body volume. With increasing size and body weight your fish might eventually overwhelm the filter, so adding another one might be a good idea, even now :)

Only two made it because I was asking my siblings to help me net the fish out and both well. To put it short were careless with 2 of them. And the other one I accidentally dropped because he jumped out of the net. Even though I was just transfering him to a bucket.... :/

The other two made it cause I got frustrated so when I netted em I tied the net a bit so they were "Restrained" a few scales lost but other than that those two made it. The others were "okay" and then died the days following up.....

--------------------

As for the filter ideas. I'm thinking about adding another filter in the long run. I'm going to be adding more bio-media to the canister since I was just using a ammonia remover and phosphate removers. I did have bio media on one tray though. So its still there. I just need to change the ammonia remover and phosphate remover to put in the other bio media for more of an actual stronger bio-load. While I want a HOB filter that has a bio-wheel. I want to use that expensive filter floss that takes out the phosphates, ammonia and all that other junk. Should "help". I will add some live plants. I'm thinking of some water hycianths...

I don't think an 80% water change weekly is a good idea... That will disrupt the cycle in the tank. I may get another canister filter though. So one week I clean one out, then the other I clean the other out so I don't risk loosing a large amount of bacteria. I'm only cleaning the filter bi-monthly after a month from now. Cause I wanna make sure the bacteria load are heavily established. The zen garden mats DO get gunk occassionally but I'm thinking of adding small freshwater shrimps to aid in this.. As well as some large pond snails. Though the fish tend to pick at the plants so yeah. While one of the water pumps is on the lower bottom of the tank so it helps move the water on the bottom. And one of the pumps is on the very bottom facing upwards near an air pump thingy. So it pushes water upwards and as well is near(not super near) the intake tube of the canister filter.

I plan on also adding a strong UV sterilizer to all of my aquariums. I decided to play it extremely safe for all my pets. Screw it if I waste a bit of extra cash. If its needed it will be used.

One dang word of advice. FOR THE LOVE OF GOOD GOD DO NOT BUY A FRIGGIN' FLUVAL!!!!!! Those things are a pain in the buttocks. Eheim all the way. I have 4fluval canisters. All of them suck horribly. IF you don't believe me try it for yourself and then you will know what I mean. It's not really strong as well as its a pain to start up. It can eventually leak(mine does).

Btw. I also have a fluval heater. It's actually pretty good. Just stay away from their canister filters. I rather go eheim or heck even a rena. Like a rena is a cheaper version of a fluval. Works good as one if not better!

Just a note on the water change - I have been doing 80% water changes for my 55 gallon and 100 gallon tanks since I've set them up. There has not been an issue with the cycle at all, especially because the cycle bacteria do not live in the water but rather on surfaces, especially substrate and filter media. Indeed, there were months in the past where I did two 80% WCs weekly, and no adverse effects were ever seen. I can also name a ton of people on this forum do this kinda of WC weekly. So, by all means try it out. It'll be good for your fish. I promise :)

Just a note on the water change - I have been doing 80% water changes for my 55 gallon and 100 gallon tanks since I've set them up. There has not been an issue with the cycle at all, especially because the cycle bacteria do not live in the water but rather on surfaces, especially substrate and filter media. Indeed, there were months in the past where I did two 80% WCs weekly, and no adverse effects were ever seen. I can also name a ton of people on this forum do this kinda of WC weekly. So, by all means try it out. It'll be good for your fish. I promise :)

I'll try. I'll have to do it like 50% wc in first part of the week and the other wc the other part. You know what I mean? I'll try a full 80% depends if I feel patient enough to deal with that. Though the filter may be a pain to re-start again so ehh... ill have to see... Though for my other aquariums i'll stick to 20-30% weekly change.

Edited by SolarFish

By the way guys. For a tank full of 7fancy goldfish( I currently just have 5-6 I don't recall-- i'm tired). What would be an "okay" and "ideal" tank size for this amount of them? I just love goldfish and can't seem to get enough of them. I'm hoping I could get a 125g. (4ft long x 2ft wide x 2ft tall)?

By the way guys. For a tank full of 7fancy goldfish( I currently just have 5-6 I don't recall-- i'm tired). What would be an "okay" and "ideal" tank size for this amount of them? I just love goldfish and can't seem to get enough of them. I'm hoping I could get a 125g. (4ft long x 2ft wide x 2ft tall)?

A general rule of thumb is 10gallons/fancy goldfish or 20gallons/single tail goldfish, although the caveat here is that you should start out with a 20 gallon and nothing smaller. For a 125 gallon, you can house 11-12 (absolute max) and be fine, provided you do at least one large water change (at least 50%) weekly. :)

Alternately, the Bristol Aquarists calculate stocking using surface area, and they recommend that for each inch of goldfish (excluding tail), there is 24-30 square inches of tank space. For these calculations, you use length and width of the tank of the tank only. So for a 125g tank with the dimensions you specified, you should only have 48 inches of goldfish total. Considering that an adult fancy goldfish is on average 6-8 inches (excluding tail), that means you can have 6-8 goldfish in that tank. The number is lower here, because longer tanks are favored with this calculation. It is true that it's much better to have a longer tank than a taller tank for goldfish. This is their stocking calculator, just in case you're interested.

http://www.bristol-a...fo/aquacalc.htm

I can't get enough of goldfish, either, but I hope that my goldfish buying days are over for a very long time now that my tanks are both stocked. That's where you guys come in...I'll enjoy your fish also :P

Edited by dnalex

A general rule of thumb is 10gallons/fancy goldfish or 20gallons/single tail goldfish, although the caveat here is that you should start out with a 20 gallon and nothing smaller. For a 125 gallon, you can house 11-12 (absolute max) and be fine, provided you do at least one large water change (at least 50%) weekly. :)

Alternately, the Bristol Aquarists calculate stocking using surface area, and they recommend that for each inch of goldfish (excluding tail), there is 24-30 square inches of tank space. For these calculations, you use length and width of the tank of the tank only. So for a 125g tank with the dimensions you specified, you should only have 48 inches of goldfish total. Considering that an adult fancy goldfish is on average 6-8 inches (excluding tail), that means you can have 6-8 goldfish in that tank. The number is lower here, because longer tanks are favored with this calculation. It is true that it's much better to have a longer tank than a taller tank for goldfish. This is their stocking calculator, just in case you're interested.

http://www.bristol-a...fo/aquacalc.htm

I can't get enough of goldfish, either, but I hope that my goldfish buying days are over for a very long time now that my tanks are both stocked. That's where you guys come in...I'll enjoy your fish also :P

Likewise. I was just given some reject fish that's why. :/ I now have to upgrade soon. It's okay for "now" cause all my fish are like 1-2inch big and the only "big" one is sunny. A 5incher. The other day I was given a golden telescope and a pearlscale goldfish(With the wen). e____e I couldn't resist.... It was either me, or a little kid who kept shaking the bag(she took one and it died even before the lil brat took it to the car... that's how horrible it was plus she only had a bowl). This was down at my petstore. Weirdly enough when I did my large 100% water change over this weekend(50% one day and the next 50%) and cleaned out any gunk in the filter I started to notice my black moor having a white thingy near the tail. It looks like a parasite. And to find my self horrified.... I had found leeches in the tank too.... It may have been when I was fishing. I remember taking a shower and after that I went to work with the tank.... When I fish I get in the water to cool off a bit as well as have better movement and concentration( I'm weird like that)... So now idk what the heck it is. I don't think its ich. Cause its on just one goldie but it's only one spot. It's quite big. It looks weblike. But its not like covering the whole body its small. But bigger than ich. Like a tad bigger....

Kinda like a star shapped or something. idk its confusing. It's just attached to the back of the tail and it's white so against a black moor it stands out easily. Kinda shiny looking too. When the light hit it a certain way it looks shiny. Anything that may kill any parasites including leeches that's an all-spectrum? I know you guys don't like all spectrum but i'm worried about what I /may/ accidentally brought back into the tank.... I boiled some leeches but idk if there are some lil brats hiding somewhere in the tank....

I would start a D&D thread, answer the requisite questions, and provide pics. That will help to expedite things. I don't know that the people on this forum are against wide-spectrum treatments per se, but rather most of us are more conservative in our treatment approaches. In a way, salt is an all-spectrum treatment, and is favored here :)

I totally understand your concerns, and I share them. I really do think the best way is to get a pic(s) up along with the answers. :)

I would start a D&D thread, answer the requisite questions, and provide pics. That will help to expedite things. I don't know that the people on this forum are against wide-spectrum treatments per se, but rather most of us are more conservative in our treatment approaches. In a way, salt is an all-spectrum treatment, and is favored here :)

I totally understand your concerns, and I share them. I really do think the best way is to get a pic(s) up along with the answers. :)

I'll just have to wait till I get a cam and for the mean time I'll keep snooping around here for more insight. So far everythings' looking mighty darn fine. I figured goldfish get ripped fins occassionally and its not too big of a deal. Just like when we get cuts and bruises. It stings but after a couple days it starts to get better. They can get ripped fins from anything. I put one once in a tank with no ornaments just a filter and heater. It had torned fins the next day.

The general rule of thumb for marine biologists when it comes to keeping aquariums is 12 sq inches of aquarium for ever 1 inch of fish, OR 192 CUBIC inches of aquarium for ever 1 inch of fish. So if you have three fish that are two inches each, you would need an aquarium of at least approximately 72 sq inches OR 1152 cubic inches. Knowing this, goldfish can pretty quickly grow out of their recommended tank size.

I only know this because I'm minoring in biochemistry (major is Neuroscience), and I did a marine biology course where we discussed this.

The general rule of thumb for marine biologists when it comes to keeping aquariums is 12 sq inches of aquarium for ever 1 inch of fish, OR 192 CUBIC inches of aquarium for ever 1 inch of fish. So if you have three fish that are two inches each, you would need an aquarium of at least approximately 72 sq inches OR 1152 cubic inches. Knowing this, goldfish can pretty quickly grow out of their recommended tank size.

I only know this because I'm minoring in biochemistry (major is Neuroscience), and I did a marine biology course where we discussed this.

I like biology. But that sounds like complicated. xD

That is just a base for scientific study. Example a 12" Marine Frog fish and only eats once a week and rarely moves will not need the same size tank as a 12" angel fish. There are individual guidelines for almost every kind of fish these days.