New Betta! : )

tithra

So... I am in the process of setting up a 5 gallon planted betta tank (I figured if I can't upgrade the goldies right now, I need something small to tide me over!)

I was going to wait and get a betta from a breeder recommended to me from aquabid, but of course I stopped by smartpets to get something for the goldies, and this little guy seemed to call out my name. I walked past a few times trying to resist the urge, but he came right up to the front of his cup and danced around for me... so I "saved" him :)

:newfish

I had a hard time taking pics that gave a good representation of his coloring, so there's just two. He was just labeled "dragon scale" so if anyone has anymore input on that it would be appreciated. He is a silvery blue with red tipped finnage.

There are just a few anubias and a java fern in there now, but I have a bunch of different plants coming from planted aquariums central, so I will post tank pics after those get here! :) He has been getting bloodworms and goldie gel food :)

IMG_0233.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

Nice coloring! I'm sure the new arrival will thrive under your care.

mj

Is your betta really a male betta? The finnage looks almost like female. :blink:

Well, that is certainly a good question. I guess I don't really know. I just assumed they didn't sell anything but male bettas, but it didn't say one way or the other. Is there a way to sex them??

Well my guess is if you got it at smartpets, it's a female. Unless you got it from a wildtype betta breeder, typically the bettas with the shorter caudal fins are female and the ones with the more elaborate tail fins are male. :)

Here's a female female.jpg

and here's a maletumblr_l9krsnGp0B1qe2rwfo1_500.png

Though they both have short fins, the male has longer ventral fins and a more straight underside of the body. The female has a wedge-shaped underside. HTH :)

Edited by Calluna

Gorgeous new boy! I got a dragon scale from petsmart not too long ago too. I would say yours is a plakat.

Yes, I thought plakat too. And he/she is very small (much smaller in comparison to the others) and I have read that males look like females when they are young. Hmmm... I guess maybe I will know with more certainty when he/she gets larger?