Sign in to follow this  
Acro

Is This Bleach Ok?

Started bleaching today and I noticed I was using "Clorox Plus High Efficiency" bleach, instead of normal bleach.

Is this stuff safe to use? This is what's in it: sodium hypochlorite, sodium hydroxide, surfactants, silicate.

Thanks for the help!

In general "High Efficiency" liquids are like the original (on steroids). Generally, they're more concentrated so you can use less in a high efficiency machine. So HE bleach and laundry detergents are made for HE machines so that you can use less and it gets diluted with water by the machine.

My guess is the HE bleach will be more viscous, so you may want to make sure you dilute it more than you would with normal bleach. So instead of a 1:9 mixture, maybe a 1:19. And of course, rinse well until you cannot smell the bleach anymore.

Thanks so much! I had already used it when I posted so I will just be sure it is gone before using my tank stuff.

Hi, I've been wondering how to make sure the nasty chemicals are gone after bleaching. Apart from diluting the bleach and obsessively rinsing afterwards, I thought perhaps a last rinse with water + water conditioner would help? But is the chlorine in tap water the same as those chemicals Acro put up at the top? Does anyone know?

Cheers,

Isabella.

Even using household bleach I use my dechlor as a final wash/rinse. I have a link with Carol mentioning using dechlor after using bleach too HsiHou, could she have been mistaken??

Oh, I'm sure you can use dechlorinator for bleach. I was just answering the question as to whether or not the chemicals were the same. :)

ohhh ok sorry I misunderstood :blush:

No worries. It probably sounded like because they're different chemicals that they wouldn't work. I shoulda been more clear on that, that I was just mentioning that they're not the same stuff. :)

Thanks for the clarifications Hsi Hou and Martha. That's exactly what I wanted to know, but didn't say very clearly - can I use the water conditioner to neutralise the bleach :)

Cheers,

Isabella.

On the website there are two other ingredients for HE bleach. Cetyl betaine and Sodium xylene sulfonate. These seem to be thickening agents. The regular bleach in 5-10% Sodium hypochlorite and the HE is only 1-5%. The % are from the MSDS sheets of the website.

You want to rinse every really well. Make sure you wipe all the sides. Then fill it up and let is soak with plain water. I usually go a couple of hours then drain. Then I refill and put on about 4 times the strength of dechlorinator followed by an over night soak. In the morning you shouldn't smell any bleach. If everything is good one last drain and fill.

Thanks all!

I like how my post also helps others!

So, yesterday I bleached a 10 gal tank and a bucket with some stuff in them with a 12 to 1 water/bleach mix (with the dumb HE beach). Then I treated each with a 40 gal dose of dechlorinator. After that I put the bucket, tank and stuff out to dry in the setting sun. I took it in last night, none of it smells like bleach. Is there anything to worry about or should all be good? I do feel the need to give it one more scrub though, what do you think?

:) Thanks again!

:) one more scrub around wouldn't harm things. I'd probably feel compelled to do the same.

Test the water with one fish. I have some fish that just maintain the cycle in my QT. I was kind of forced to take them. I usually use one of them. This way I never have to use one of favorite fish. I leave it in there for a couple of days. Then I seed the tank or put on an already cycled filter. I leave the fish in there till I know the tank is stable.

Edited by Goldfish Chris