Sign in to follow this  
Deku

Sunny's Tail Fins Looked Ripped!

I'ved been noticing he/she has been getting his fins ripped and torn. They don't look like they're "Dissolving" like tailrot would. It just looks "torn". Like when you rip a piece of paper in half. I don't know if the ornaments are to blame. I'm using natural rocks, and fake plastic plants... The temp. I got it to go higher to 82degrees. I was hoping this would help somehow? I change the water weekly and do a 20% water change.

I had a gourami in there because someone dumped onto me and I had no where else to put the bugger. I'm not sure if he's the culprit. I have no meds on me because I threw them out. They were 6months old so I decided it'd be best to replace the meds. But I can't go to the petstore today....

Help?

Can you provide as many answers to the questions as possible? It will help with figuring out the possible cause.

• Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level
  • * Nitrite Level
  • * Nitrate level
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • * Water temperature?
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

A couple things to note even without the specs of your tank.

1. 20% water changes weekly isn't really enough. I'd recommend at least 50% or more.

2. The gourami and goldfish are not compatible tank mates. Gouramis can be territorial and do nip fins, so there is a possibility that it is the cause. Either way, even if it is not the cause, it's best to find the gourami a suitable home as it is a tropical, community fish.

If you can provide as many details as you can while answering the above questions, it'll give us a better idea of your setup. Pictures are usually a pretty good help too! :)

Yes answer as many of the questions above so we can send you on the right path to healing fish fins :)

Also I agree you need to do more w/c's weekly to start,and why is your temp so high?Goldfish prefer cooler/temperate temps...unless your treating for ich?but a ripped fin find the culprit,either the plastic plant or above mentioned gouramis ;) and good clean water maybe some salt should fix him right up :)

Edited by shellbell4ever

If it looks torn I would go with plants or other objects in the tank. Fin nipping usually looks like pieces are missing or frayed. It is possible that the gourami could have ripped it but I just don't think it is very likely.

Edited by Goldfish Chris

Well I thought it was just a 20% water change. I guess i'll bunk it up to 50%. I'm using a eheim filter made for 75g. They're in a 55g. There's 5 goldfish, a gourami and one crayfish(for scavenging). I'm using black sand. Temps up to 80 because whenever I see something "off" I always raise it up slowly to kill anything that may be possible culprits.

I feed:

-Omega one sinking pellets(I can't get hikari atm)

-Frozen spirulina shrimp

-Frozen fish variety pack(has diff. types of frozen pellets. Like four diff. rows. One is for spirulina sea monkeys, bloodworms is the red one, and the other two contain diff. types of inverts and such.)

-Frozen krill

-Color enhancing omega one flakes

-Live insects(ocassional)

-Boiled unshelled squished peas(ocassional).

The diet is very diverse. I feed either once a day. And sometimes every couple days.

I did get in a new couple goldfish cause when I was netting some goldfish out to do a complete tank clean( i needed to move the tank). The goldfish jumped out. It happened with two others... I then quarantined them within a couple of hours they died. Though they were comets. Which I sadly missed and so did sunny. When they left he wasn't super active like he can be. He still ate. But then the next day I decided to add in some new goldies. I then got a large twintail. A medium moor, And 2 medium sized goldies. One is a ryuukin(another), and the other is a calico oranda. They've been fine. And sunny is getting more active since then. but I noticed a weird that one of the goldfish tails looked nipped too. So.... idk. which is twintail goldie. They're still smaller than sunny but not pea sized. Smallest one is the new ryuukin. Which has red finneage(tail, dorsal, anal, front fins) and a white body(which I hope he keeps this color since its amazing).

The twin taill looks to have a tumor on his tail. He came in like that and I only noticed it after I had already purchased it and in the car ride home. I'm like "ehh I don't wanna be rude..."

I'm currently going to remove the rocks, and all ornaments and selectively choose which ornaments ill put back in. I'm not sure yet what plants will be "okay". I have some plastic plant mats. From the biocube thing Idk what its called its a zen garden thingy. Theres alot of em. So it almost fills half the tank with em(and I mean the bottom) which is covered by black sand. I do have a rougher plant on top. I'm not sure if I can keep a rock or two in there but to be safe nah...

Edited by SolarFish

So with your newly provided details, are some new questions/observations. Without the water parameters though, it will be hard to narrow down the cause of torn fins.

Additional Questions:

1. Do you know your water parameters? How long your tank has been running?

2.. Do you happen to know the model of your Eheim filter? How do you treat your water when it's changed?

3. What kind of live insects do you feed?

4. Could you get pictures of the torn fins, the "tumor", and your other fish and critters in the tank?

5. By crayfish, do you mean like a crawdad? or a small lobster?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Couple of tips:

Your tank is overstocked, and stocked with incompatible inhabitants. If your crayfish is what I think it is, it will pinch at anything it can reach - including goldfish fins. Chances are you probably won't see him doing it during the day when the fish are active, but when things settle down at night and your fish are drifting in their sleep, if they get within reach of your crayfish, it will pinch 'em. They can also get to be a hefty (edible) size. Not good for the goldfish in my opinion.

You've got a 55 gallon tank which is housing:

1 gourami which should have about 10-20 gals

5 goldfish which should have at least 50-100 gals

1 crayfish which should have at least 40 gals

My guess is that your crayfish is the culprit if you've got a crayfish in a sand substrate tank with few hiding places where it won't be disturbed.

However, there could be a few things going on that are yet to be determined without the proper information.

I would recommend getting a suitable aquarium for your tropicals and separating them from your goldfish.

I will change my answer to the crayfish as the possible cause of the torn fin. I have seen this a few times. With fancy goldfish.

True lobsters only live in marine environments. Even the giant ones in freshwater are crayfish.

Gourami vary in size from about an one inch to over two feet. I don't believe you need 10-20 gallons for a single average fish. What type of gourami do you have?

You also don't need 40 gallons for a crayfish. Many crayfish stay pretty small and there are those that get over a foot. What type of crayfish do you have?

I have just never heard the recommend sizes you are stating.

That make sense for minimum tank size but not gallons per fish. (Gourami)

Yes, I am talking minimum tank size. As I would not recommend 50-100 gals of water per goldfish either. Although that would be the life. :)

Let me rephrase that. The first volume is the minimum recommended volume for that amount, and the second was the more generous minimum since there is not really a maximum volume of water for aquariums. :)

So with your newly provided details, are some new questions/observations. Without the water parameters though, it will be hard to narrow down the cause of torn fins.

Additional Questions:

1. Do you know your water parameters? How long your tank has been running?I don't know the tank water parameters. I tried to find my supplies for it. It turns out my brother took some stuff from me when he went to college(he's setting an aquarium in his dorm) and he didn't even ask. But long story short tanks been running now for a month.

2.. Do you happen to know the model of your Eheim filter? How do you treat your water when it's changed?It's a professional 2 eheim. I treat the water with novaqua plus(extra dosis), and sometimes I add aquarium salt.

3. What kind of live insects do you feed? Crickets, waxworms, earthworms(small ones), and occassional insect I find around the house(the others are store bought). Say if I find a slug, that'd be fed to one of em. Etc.

4. Could you get pictures of the torn fins, the "tumor", and your other fish and critters in the tank? No cam I had one which I think I took some pics but it broke last month... Hopefully I can get a cam soon.

5. By crayfish, do you mean like a crawdad? or a small lobster? Crawdad. Not lobster. Talking about the crayfish that are freshwater that are very small(2-4inch at most).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Couple of tips:

Your tank is overstocked, and stocked with incompatible inhabitants. If your crayfish is what I think it is, it will pinch at anything it can reach - including goldfish fins. Chances are you probably won't see him doing it during the day when the fish are active, but when things settle down at night and your fish are drifting in their sleep, if they get within reach of your crayfish, it will pinch 'em. They can also get to be a hefty (edible) size. Not good for the goldfish in my opinion.

You've got a 55 gallon tank which is housing:

1 gourami which should have about 10-20 gals<--- moved already

5 goldfish which should have at least 50-100 gals

1 crayfish which should have at least 40 gals<--- still there since no clue where to put it in. A crayfish doesn't really use 40gals.... It's 4inches long at most and not as active. Even with lights turned off and everything perfect.

My guess is that your crayfish is the culprit if you've got a crayfish in a sand substrate tank with few hiding places where it won't be disturbed.

However, there could be a few things going on that are yet to be determined without the proper information.

I would recommend getting a suitable aquarium for your tropicals and separating them from your goldfish.

I have moved the fish out. Just need to take some of the ornaments(which haven't had the time) I should be able to in 30mins.

You guys have a suggestion for a med that treats all bacterial infections? Just in case it may have something I haven't noticed? Or parasites? Like a gen- all med that may help with anything that's not seen. You know what i mean?

Most medications that do blanket treatments don't do any of them well and are highly stressful on the fish. In general, unless you know that there is something specific going on or unless you have a fairly good diagnosis of what is causing an illness, it's not a good idea to just medicate "just in case" kind of thing. Medications are highly stressful, and if unnecessary can cause more harm than good. Bacteria and parasites can also build tolerances to medications if used improperly.

Are your fish not doing well? If it's the torn fins, good water quality and a little bit of salting should help that heal up quick. If good water conditions are kept in an aquarium and fish aren't constantly stressed, it's usually not likely for fish to get sick.

Most medications that do blanket treatments don't do any of them well and are highly stressful on the fish. In general, unless you know that there is something specific going on or unless you have a fairly good diagnosis of what is causing an illness, it's not a good idea to just medicate "just in case" kind of thing. Medications are highly stressful, and if unnecessary can cause more harm than good. Bacteria and parasites can also build tolerances to medications if used improperly.

Are your fish not doing well? If it's the torn fins, good water quality and a little bit of salting should help that heal up quick. If good water conditions are kept in an aquarium and fish aren't constantly stressed, it's usually not likely for fish to get sick.

:goodpost

The only "just in case" med that we recommend is Praziquantel for flukes, but in this case, it's also highly likely that if it's a new fish, it has flukes to some extent.

The conditions are well. Just the ripped fins which aren't red anymore(it doesn't look like its bruised, just torned) worried me.

If there's nothing alarming going on, and water conditions are good, then just keep checkin'. :)

Make sure water is clean, water changes are performed as necessary, and the torn fins should heal up nicely. :thumb:

If there's nothing alarming going on, and water conditions are good, then just keep checkin'. :)

Make sure water is clean, water changes are performed as necessary, and the torn fins should heal up nicely. :thumb:

what about perfectly?

The only other thing you could do, is a half dose (treatment) of Melafix. This will help it heal faster :) But if your water quality isnt good, this wont help :(

Melafix can be a healing help. I suspect those plastic plants...over time they leech PCB toxins into the water and fins are like skin and hair in people (dull and flaky= stress from environment often)..try removing those and see if it helps.