Comet Is Breathing Rapidly

austinado16

Thought I'd post an update.

Started another round of Prazi in the main tank today. I'll let that run through Sunday.

The smaller Comet in the 10G hospitat tank is doing better I think. The bloated look is going away, she's got a normal eat-everything-that-hits-the-water apetite, and when I'm not looking, she comes out of her little corner and rifles through the gravel.

However, while checking her out tonight, I noticed a dark brown area on her lower left side, right where she was starting to pinecone a little. 3 or 4 scales have turned brown. At first I was thinking, "Well, this is the end," and then it dawned on me.....ammonia burns because this tank isn't cycled and I haven't done a water change in 2 days!!! Super. Sure enough, ammonia level with API drops was 2.5.

So, I just did a 90% water change, added Prime, and salted to .1% I'll do another change in the morning. I also stuffed the HOB filter with as many of the ceramic cylinders from my Fluval 405 as I could fit.

Quick question; is it okay to salt to help with the ammonia burn?

I'm glad she's doing better. I was actually thinking about your guys today and wanted to check up on them.

I think what you are doing is wonderful. As far as the ammonia burn is concerned, you don't need salt for that. Just make sure to keep the tank ammonia free and it should be fine :)

Okay, thanks. I wasn't sure about the salt or not, and figured if anything, it was only .1% and it'd be in there for about 18hrs at the most. Tried looking around the site for info and didn't see anyone talking about using salt or not, but just about keeping the water clean. I'm hoping the media I put in tonight will be enough to make a difference.

Time to keep an eye out for a 20G to use as a hospital. I've got a 30 long, but really would prefer not to set that up, just due to size.

Thanks for checking in. I really appreciate your advice alot. These guys would be taking a dirt nap if it wasn't for you and the rest of the gang here who have helped me in the past.

Just wrapped up Prazi treatment #3 and they are all doing fine and back to normal. No more sign of the ammonia burn, breathing is back to normal, etc.

Thanks again so much for all the help! These guys would have been taking a dirt nap a long time ago if it wasn't for all the help I get from you all, and everything I've learned here.

Shot a little video of them playing in the fresh water stream during a WC.