Sign in to follow this  
mardaokansi

Switching To Canning & Pickling Salt

Couldn't get out of town to the pet store so I stopped by my local grocery store and picked up (Morton's) Canning & Pickling Salt.

Issues I'm having so far is that after I've boiled my water, added in the salt, and after the salt has dissolved these "salt crystals" appear on the surface of the water. What is that?? Is it normal?? I've never encountered this with the API Aquarium Salt before so this is strange for me and I don't want to use it.

(I used a scale to measure out the new salt as it's a finer grain than the API so the amount is correct and I'm not over/under salting.)

Alright so I've added more water to the pot and the salt that was on the surface has now been dissolved. I'm still waiting for some feedback before using it though. Thanks.

Im not to sure Martha, I have never used that salt. :(

I never boil it. I got a bucket dedicated to salt mixing. It is an old, rinsed out cat litter jug with screw-on lid. I usually just use warm water, the needed amount of salt, shake the bejeebies out of it, done.

No problems anywhere.

I had to boil it b/c the first half was with the rest of my aquarium salt and the last half was the new c&p salt.

I used this salt to cure Porkchop's Ick, after I tired of running to the petstore on the other side of town for salt. It works well. I did two things, added the salt and water to a jug, shook the begeezus out of it, let it sit, shook it again, and was good to go. I also put an aquarium heater in a tub with the water, added salt, and put a powerhead on, so it was mixing itself. Worked both times. Super cheap but great stuff.