Vee

New Fish Won't Eat?

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrates: 5

pH Tank: 7

pH Tap: 7

Test Kit: API Freshwater Master Kit

Temperature: 70ish? I didn't check specifically, but it is just at room temperature, I don't have a heater.

Tank size: 90g, been running since around June, seeded with bb from the 55g tank

Filter: It's a wet/dry filter meant for saltwater set ups, but it pushes the water pretty fast.. :unsure: I use it on both of my tanks with no problems.

Water changes: About 50% once every week and a half (there are two small goldfish in there, plus the tiny one I just added, I think if I changed it exactly weekly it wouldn't be producing enough ammonia for the bb)

Last WC: a week ago, they're due for another this weekend.

Fish: 2 small fish (about an inch or two each?) One Pearlscale, one possible fantail and a newly added $0.15 (comet/common I think they're called?) "Feeder" goldfish. The new little "feeder" is so tiny I think my pinkie is larger than he is! :yikes

Water conditioners: Seachem Prime when I change the water, if I'm out of prime I'll use Tetra's Safe start until I can run to the big fish store.

Food: I feed omega one sinking pellets, but have been trying to feed the small one some generic crisps, seeing as the pellets are too big for him.

New Fish: the tiny "feeder"

Medications: No medications, I added salt to the tub I was adjusting the feeder to my tank's water in, essentially giving him a salt dip before adding him to the tank.

Unusual behaviors: The fish swims fine, no blood in the fins, nothing. But he hides behind the filter intake/out take and won't normally come out. When I try to coax him out with food he just hides and the crisps go right down the filter. I thought maybe the filter was too strong, so I moved the filter to the end of the tank near the intake to reduce the current, and still nothing. Today I took him out and placed him in a little food bin to offer him the chance to eat by himself and all he does is sit in the bottom of the tub, ignoring the various types of food I offered (Shrimps, omega ones, crisps, flakes. I haven't tried peas, vegetables or eggs. I'm worried that he doesn't know what food is, seeing as he came from a large feeder tank.. )

There's no problems with the larger fish, they swim around, dig through the gravel, and after the initial investigation of the feeder left him alone.

I wonder if maybe there's something wrong with the feeder? I know it can open it's mouth to get food, he has to have to be the size he is, he's much larger than a tiny fry..

Vee, when did you add the single-tail "feeder?" Single tails in general have largely preserved their predator/prey instincts, so they may take a little longer to de-stress and not be intimidated by their new environment. If it's only been a couple of days, try the usual acclimating/de-stressing methods to help him. Sounds like he's still just stressed.

I thought that maybe he needed to destress so I left him alone (other than to feed the other goldies) but it has only been a few days. :(

He's just so small I'm worried that he'll die if he doesn't eat. I don't even know if the fish store fed them!

You're probably right that he's still just stressed, seeing as he was dumped into a tank of two larger fish who could easily share him as a snack. He swims well, looks healthy, and moves freely behind the intake.. Maybe I should give him a few more places to hide.

Turn off the light in a least the part of the tank he likes to hide and cover that part with a towel or something :)

As for food, for very small fish, I like to use the NLS Thera-A small pellets. They are very small and are loaded with garlic, and so should provide lots of stimulation for him to come find and eat :)

Fish can go a lot longer without food than we might think, even smaller ones.

Definitely sounds like stress. Lights off, towel covering tank might be appreciated for a couple days.

there's no light on the tank, but I will definitely find a towel to put over a section of the tank to see if he adjusts.

Thanks for helpin' guys. :) Sometimes I just need a little reassurance.

:( Unfortunately the fish died.. I'm not sure when exactly it passed, I lifted the towel to check on it today and it was stuck to the filter intake.. poor little buddy.