New Fish Blues ..

Raivynn

Didn't have a q tank set up, and the lfs usually doesn't have problems. So, I just added him in. Yeah, big mistake. Ich came first, which I have used ick clear (formalin, malachite green) for the past 3 days, but it didn't work. Now the fish are sitting at the bottom of the tank. I am seeing major redness in the fins. The lfs was closed for the holiday. I picked up Jungle brand ick clear (victoria green, acriflavine) and Jungle brand parasite clear (praziquantel, diflubenzuron, metronidazole, acriflavine). Will the parasite clear work for ick as well as flukes?

I'm using my cell, so I can't copy and paste the text, so I will give info as best I can.

75 gallon tank, 2 aquaclear 110 filters for 1000gph. Water tests are not accurate due to the slight blue tint. Added one new fish about 5 days ago. Going to he performing an approximate 90% water change and begin treating with the parasite clear only.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would go with 0.3% salt in lieu of any medication.

The Parasite Clear will not have any effect on the ich. Have you started them on it? Also, the bottom sitting started before the treatment?

You will need to check the parameters. I worry that the ich clear may have damaged your cycle, and the bottom sitting is related to this.

Could not get enough to treat the entire tank volume. Also, the condition these guys are in needs something that will work quickly. I am beginning to worry about fish loss, starting with my smallest.

It looks like the new guy also brought in skin flukes. Seeing some increase in activity after the water change. Never had any luck treating ich with salt. :( Had some disastrous results in the past with a salt resistant strain. Wiped out quite a few fish.

It looks like the new guy also brought in skin flukes. Seeing some increase in activity after the water change. Never had any luck treating ich with salt. :( Had some disastrous results in the past with a salt resistant strain. Wiped out quite a few fish.

:yikes

On the second day of treatment with the parasite clear.

The fish are still just sitting on the bottom. I took a water sample to the local corporate pet store and let them test. Ammonia and nitrite showed zero, gh and kh showed in "ideal" (kh of 150, gh of 120; I might be backwards), although she didn't give me a nitrate reading.

Planning on changing a large amount of water to remove most of the medication. What is causing the lethargy though? My water checks out, and i have never seen this in response to ich before. I am very tempted to go to my local college and see if they will let me borrow a few glass slides to do a scraping. No fish shop in the area does this, and most vets think you're crazy when you ask to have your fish scoped.

I did buy a small amount of aquarium salt (well, the biggest box they had), but I am holding off to see what is recommended. I am very concerned about the health of my fish.

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 10>

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? Approx. 7.6

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? Na

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Drops at home, strips at pet store

[*]Water temperature? Room temp, no thermometer

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 75 gallons, a year at my current residence

[*]What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2 aquaclear 110, total gph of 1,000

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? Weekly, 80% or more

[*]how many days ago was the last water change and how much? 36 hours, almost 100%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 7; 2 babies, 5 at around 2-3 inches

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime dechlor

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? once daily, omega one sinking pellets and frozen bloodworms, krill, and brine shrimp with spirulina once or twice a week

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? Yes (stupid me lol)

[*]Any medications added to the tank? Yes. Jungle brand parasite clear (prazi, diflubenzuron, metronidazole, acriflavine)

[*]List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Changed 75% of water and added ick cure for 3 days (formalin, malachite green). Had no effect on the ich. Changed 95% of the water 36 hours ago (night before last) and added the parasite clear. No salt at this time.

Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Yes. Bloody streaks, cloudy slime coat, also noticed some slime floating about the tank, everyone is very red in the tails, any white on the tails is also very cloudy. Ich spots are still present, though these are reducing.

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Everyone is just sitting at the bottom with clamped fins and acting listless. They are sluggish to eat (still feeding one or two small meals a day), then go back to sitting on the bottom. My comet is almost laying on his side. I am noticing a few of them gasping.

Anything else I can add to be more helpful?

Fish that are heavily infested with flukes will bottom sit after Prazi treatment. Since Parasite Clear does contain praziquantel, this is a strong possibility. Normally, we also recommend adding salt, as the the salt prevents secondary infections at wounds sites where the flukes fell off and also to help with the breathing.

How is the ich today?

I had read in a nearby thread they could bottom sit following a prazi treatment. At a closer closer look, my solid white fish is showing redness on his body, and his eyes are cloudy. What this new fish brought in is beyond me. The box for the parasite clear says to treat for 48 hours, then change 25% of the water and dose again. This can be repeated twice. However, I am wanting to change a larger volume, redose with the PC, and add salt at 1 tsp/gallon.

I definitely would not treat with PP or HP at the present because I think it's safe to assume that there is significant gill damage already from flukes falling off. The PP or HP will destroy those damaged gills :(

I just changed their water. Removed all but about 1.5" (the water barely covered my largest fish's back) and refilled with fresh water. Did not add the parasite clear. I am slowly adding salt at 1 tsp/gallon to help them breathe a bit easier. They perked up a little at this. Do I go ahead and dose them again with the PC, or should I leave them on salt only? I have a heater available if I should raise the tank temp.

I know that you've said before that you've had issues with salt-resistant ich, but I would like to try it again here before going for something much harsher. I would definitely heat up the water to 78-80 and raise the salinity to 0.3% over the next 24 hours (2 more doses of what you did at 12 hour intervals). Let's not dose the PC back in until we see how the salt is working :)

Well Darnit, already put the PC back in. :/ I will definitely heat them up to 80.

Unfortunately, I believe I have lost my tiny comet. He is laying on his side, gasping for air. I will pick up two boxes of the Morton canning salt, and will raise the salt to .3% when the round of PC has finished.

This is probably the worst experience I have had in years.

I have added the second dose of salt. Now at .2% salt, and still trying to dig up that darn heater.

I have been reading a little on salt dips/baths. Would this be a gentler treatment option to use? No one has passed yet, but they are very ill.