Sign in to follow this  
Vee

Cloudy Water

I've got cloudy water, tried everything and still the water was cloudy!

I've done water changes, carbon, added a second filter, cleaned a sponge in the filter, removed more of the pebbles in the bottom, nothing.

All of the water parameters test well, the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates were 0 or a little between the first bar and second, though closer to the first. However the pH was about 6.8 :(

I'm thinking of putting all the fish in the 90g I have now and giving the big tank a super clean.

All the fish seem to be fine (except my biggest Oranda, who's eyes are slowly being covered with wen, so he swallows air constantly and no matter how many peas or water changes, he always floats. I'm thinking of trimming his wen, but for now I'm more focused on clearing up the water.

Any suggestions, guys?

When did the water become cloudy? Shakaho recently suggested I try koi clay, as it is a very good flocculant. Also, it might be worth it to try Purigen.

About a week and a half ago. I've done multiple changes in that space of time, but it never seems to clear entirely. :no:

Sorry if I sound daft, but what's a flocculant?

Ooops. Sorry. A flocculant is something that is able to promote other things (like fine organic debris & dust etc) to clump together. Once they are clumped together, they are trapped by the filter padding or carbon :)

Thank you guys. :hearts I'll get to reading and if all else fails purchase some... flocculants. XD

The only thing that is throwing me off is every thing is zeros? Are you sure you might have had a cycle bump?

Ph at 6.8 did you test the tap water? What level is that?

How are the fish?

Well, not everything is exactly, 0, they're between the first two color blocks, but they're leaning closer to the first color blocks.

I haven't directly tested the pH from the tap, but the other fish tank has a normal pH, and when I pour the test tube filled with the chemicals down the drain the color turns a bright blue like you'd expect the pH to be before it's washed away.

The fish are doing pretty well, everyone swims very well, no red veins in tails. The only problem is "Bubba" who is actually having a good day. Yesterday he was stuck at the top with his :fbottom: sticking out of the water.

Today he's swimming around a little better, but it may have been because I didn't feed a third time last night.

I got some pH up from the store seeing as water changing hasn't helped with the pH either. I'll check the water a couple more times and then if there are still no results I'll add the pH up.

Hold on a sec hun.... Before you add that in... What kind is it? Also do you have a test for KH and if not maybe get it tested from the Fish store? Reason Im ask is if the KH is to low and the tap waters PH is higher than the tank, this means the fish and such are using up the minerals in the water and causing the Ph to lower. If this is the case then we need a buffer not a ph upper :)

There is one from Seachem i think its call Goldfish buffer?? Alex knows that one better than I (never used it)

Or there is Buff it up from Goldfishconnection. :)

So lets see what your KH is hun, it may be the ph is just two low :(

I have the API Freshwater Master kit, but nothing else beyond that. I may have some strip tests that test for that somewhere, but I know they're never really accurate.

The pH up is by Tetra or something. just a cheap $5 thing.

As for the buffer I know I have one for a saltwater set up (the tank I bought was used for salt water.) I don't know if it's good for that, though.

Hi, Vee. I think you'll want to use a buffer for sure to raise and keep the pH at something higher than 7. The pH Up you've just bought is from API, and it's nothing more than baking soda. This product will definitely raise your pH, but it won't be able to maintain it up there, and you'll find that it'll start to slide up after a day or two. Here's the MSDS for pH Up telling you that it's just baking soda :o

http://cms.marsfishcare.com/files/msds/ph_up_122309.pdf

You'll want to use Buff-It-Up or a Seachem Buffer. I prefer Seachem Gold Buffer, simply because in most cases, it's perfect for raising your pH to 7.6-7.8 and keeping it there. :)

As for the cloudy water, could you upload some pics/vids? It may very well be a bacterial bloom, which could happen when you are starting to get swings in pH. My new tank recently experience white cloudy water also. In the end, I just had to wait it out. It's now nice and clear. (I have a thread on this, where I also got a ton of really helpful and informative suggestions.)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/94138-cloudy-water-in-new-but-cycled-tank/

Oh wow! :o I'll probably be returning the pH up, then! That's crazy!

I tested the water with the strips and the KH reported as 20ppm. I don't know if that's accurate or not, but it was labeled as "soft" or "low" or something of the like.

You'll definitely need a buffer. Your water is very soft!