Trouble With Divided Tank

Edgar

I have a 10 gallon divided betta fish tank that I am having some trouble with. The tank is divided with that plastic mesh that allows for water to circulate, now the problem that I have is that my bettas are stressed out from seeing one another constantly. They have been bitting their tails like crazy :(. So my question is how can I keep this tank as a divided tank and prevent my bettas from being able to see each other?

Thanks for the help.

I would add plants along the divider. That way the water can still circulate, while the plants give the fish some privacy :)

That's what I tried and it didn't really work, I'll add more plants and see how it goes.

If the problem is as bad as you say, maybe you need to put a filter on both sides and put in some kind of opaque divider in. I've had divided betta tanks before and did not have problems like this.

I would add plants along the divider. That way the water can still circulate, while the plants give the fish some privacy :)

That's what I tried and it didn't really work, I'll add more plants and see how it goes.

If the problem is as bad as you say, maybe you need to put a filter on both sides and put in some kind of opaque divider in. I've had divided betta tanks before and did not have problems like this.

I agree, if the problem is this persistent, you might want to block the view of with a lot of plants, and have a small filter on each side. :)

:exactly We actually used bettas in an animal behavior course I did in my undergrad. We had black dividers that absolutely had to be kept between the fish (even when in separate tanks) at all times. This is why divided tanks have always bothered me :(

Bettas really stress when they can see another male. I guess pet stores came up with the idea and, of course, people bought it so they could 'safely' keep more than one betta. But I liken it to keeping two unneutered male dogs in side by side kennels...it's just not a good idea. The fish are constantly in that 'fight or flight' mode, it's stressful and exhausting. Just my :twocents

Edited by Chrissy_Bee

the problem had been going on for about two weeks now. So far since I have added tons of plastic plants it seems like my bettas have calmed down. Their tails are growing back :). I'm planning on adding live plants later on but I have no idea what type to use. Any suggestions? I'm looking for something with lots of foliage that can provide good cover.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an ornament in my tank with a little cave for my betta to go into. He chills out there at night and goes in quite often. Its like a little home for him. Try a little cave on each side. I think those little tera cotta pots work well, you can buy little mini ones. As for the plants I can't be much help for names as my LFS does not label their plants. I usually buy leafy plants as he likes to rest in the leaves. Check the planted section for how to disinfect the plants as they can introduce parasites/disease.