Possible Slow Leak

kiiarah

Hi guys, I figured this is worth checking on. I noticed a tiny bit of moisture on the outside corner of the base of the tank today. The weird thing is the gap between the glass and the plastic base is not full of water, there are no drips, and the stand is completely dry. Basically it looks like when the tank was first sealed some silicone oozed up on the plastic a bit and dried. It is now a thin flap of silicone but the seal on the inside of the tank is solid. Underneath this thin flap there was what could almost be condensation, but it is over 100 degrees outside so I can't imagine moisture staying for long enough to be noticeable. It is on the opposite corner of the tank from where we have been filling it so it can't be from drips or anything like that. I was wondering what I would need to do to seal this in case it leaking. Would it work to just seal that corner from the outside or would I have to reseal the entire inside of the tank? There isn't enough water to even drip down the side, basically just enough to put a small damp spot on a square of toilet paper and it is only noticeable if I push my finger across the silicone flap covering the damp part. If it is from a leak it is an extremely slow one. Here is an image of where the dampness was, the silicone on the outside is hard to see but it was basically on the top area of the plastic base. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Oh and if it is important, I did notice some soft mineral deposits between the tank base and the glass in this corner of the tank, which could be from rinsing it when we got it home or could be from a leak.

cdf6f6e4-1.jpg

The black arrow indicates where the moisture was found.

Edited by kiiarah

Update: I just thought to slide a piece of paper around the inside rim of the base and check for moisture amounts. It turns out there is some dampness even on the other side of the tank and I realized that my husband did spill a fair bit of water down the outside glass while filling it the other day. I am thinking it really may just be moisture that has been trapped since washing and filling it. Do you think a leak would have spilled over the rim of the base by now? It has been two and a half days and no water is pooling anywhere on the tank, it is only detectable if I slide a piece of paper about an inch down into the base between the glass and the plastic. How would I know if it was old water from washing or an actual leak?

I'm sure if it was a leak, you would have noticed by now. With all the pressure from the tank water, it wouldn't just show as moisture, I think. Keep an eye on it though :)

Thanks for the fast response Oerba! I will definitely watch it closely. It isn't enough to see but when I stick a sheet of paper in there it comes out wet. I do sort of think it is most likely that the hubby let water fall into the area and it spread. I think if it was out of direct sun in a narrow area it wouldn't evaporate as fast. Would you say if I leave it full for 24 hours and don't have any water dripping or moisture on the stand I am good to go? I am so nervous about this thing! I absolutely could not afford a new 55 gallon tank, so I am pretty desperate for this one to be safe.