Cloudy Water In New But Cycled Tank

dnalex

Hello. As some of you may remember, I set up a brand new 100g tank 2 weeks ago exactly. The tank is an upgrade from one of my 55s. I have four AC70s running on it, 3 of which are from the old tank. I have been checking parameters every other day, and the tank is definitely cycled. The pH is buffered at 7.8, and tap is 8.2. I've been treating the tank with PraziPro and salt at 0.1% for the last two weeks. There are nine fish in the tank total, all of the fancy tail type varieties.

Here's my problem: I have noticed that the tank gets cloudy white very soon after WCs. At first I thought it was the Prazi causing the cloudiness, but I do not think that it is, since the water gets cloudy even after I've changed out 85% of the water after Prazi treatment. The substrate I am using is the Tahitian moon sand (dry this time, although it was rinsed very well before use). I'm wondering if this is due to substrate or just bacterial bloom as they grow to colonize the new substrate and tank walls.

What do you think? My fish have not been affected by the cloudy water, but I am. I am about to put carbon into my filters, but would like to get your opinions first. Thanks for reading :)

Hey Alex....I've had some minor issues with clouding in my 29 gal running an AC 110. A 70% WC always has taken care of a bacterial bloom for me along with a good gravel vac. I just experienced one last week and with the 70% WC it was gone in a flash. I also want to mention that I use filter floss in my AC's. If I pack too much inside the filter it will decrease the efficiency of the filter which will also cause the water to cloud. This only happens in my 29 so I have to be careful not to overload it with too much floss. I quit using carbon in my filters over a year ago but it may not hurt to do a trial run for a month to see if this may clear it up for you. Hope that you get it squared away. :thumb:

Thanks, Dennis. I have recently started using filter floss in my filters also. I am going to try to remove some floss and add carbon to see how goes. It's so frustrating, since I've been doing 85% WCs every 3-4 days. Wish me luck! :)

Thanks, Dennis. I have recently started using filter floss in my filters also. I am going to try to remove some floss and add carbon to see how goes. It's so frustrating, since I've been doing 85% WCs every 3-4 days. Wish me luck! :)

Gotcha Alex....I'm hoping this will take care of the problem. I like using the filter floss but I sometimes get into the mindset of packing it full to assist with filtration and it ends up clouding the water. Anymore I've cut back on the amount of floss and I haven't seen any more issues.

I don't think carbon works for cloudiness.

When I had these issues in my 200 I added floss and got a monster UV sterilizer lol. Now it is crystal clear and I am slowly removing the floss as I don't like it in the filters.

Thanks Fede. I think my problem might actually be TOO MUCH floss. I swear I don't remember having added that much. I think my evil twin did it lol. For the moment, I have removed most of the floss and will do a huge WC to help it along.

Red, I don't have coral in my tank, although I do remember exactly what you are talking about when I did have coral in the 55.

I still can't decide whether it's a sediment issue or a bacterial bloom. I guess the answer will require patiently eliminating one possibility or the other :)

But that is so weird because floss should help trap it... Unless it is old which isn't the case.... hmmmmmm... Could still be bacteria setting down in such a new tank tho.

I'm thinking it might be bacterial also, but since the floss sort of coincided with the cloudiness, I'm going to try to see if removing that will make a difference :/

Ok, this might be a weird idea, but how long does it stay cloudy after refilling the tank? One of my faucets in the house creates this little storm of tiny bubbles that stay suspended, turning the water milky white for a about an hour and half in a small glass. If it were in a tank I'm sure it'd take even longer to get the bubbles out, perhaps hours or even days.

Ok, this might be a weird idea, but how long does it stay cloudy after refilling the tank? One of my faucets in the house creates this little storm of tiny bubbles that stay suspended, turning the water milky white for a about an hour and half in a small glass. If it were in a tank I'm sure it'd take even longer to get the bubbles out, perhaps hours or even days.

Not a weird idea at all, since I have been splashing water on the surface when I filled the tank back up. I will be doing a large WC and will test this idea. I don't think it's the tap, since my other tank is crystal clear. It's just the new one going cloudy. This is the pattern - WC - somewhat bubbly water - clears up after a few hours - starts to get cloudy next day :(

Thank for for contributing your idea. I would like to consider all possibilities, and every thought helps :)

I think it's bacterial as well. I've moved established filters to new tanks before and had it happen. The only thing that's ever cleared it up for me (aside from patience/time) was adding a product called biozyme, which I don't even think you can get anymore. It was just another version of cycle. All that needs to happen is the good bacteria need to colonize a bit more and out compete the ones causing the clouding :)

The carbon won't hurt though, just in case it is something to do with your water (I don't think so though :) ).

Thanks, Chrissy. I have had that suspicion all along, and I think what you said just confirmed it. I did add 60 new pounds of substrate to the tank, so I'm pretty sure that all sorts of bugs are expanding to colonize the substrate.

Do you remember how long it took for the cloudiness to go away? I realize that this will be dependent on the tank size also.

Sometimes it took weeks :undecided:

With that product it was days, but I'll never know if it was the biozyme or just a coincidence :P

That sums it up perfectly. I will see if I want to make a trip to Petco tomorrow for a bottle of Nutrafin Cycle. Thank you :)

You might try some koi clay. It's a very good flocculant for organic materials. If it is bacteria, the clay should clear the water quickly.

Do you think I can find koi clay at Petco? Also, how would I use it? I'm sorry for the stupid question, but I really have no idea :)