Sign in to follow this  
tithra

Blood Worms?

Hello all. I purchased my first package of blood worms for the goldies today, and was looking for some tips/advice. The package I got (Hikari frozen) is just a single ice block of blood worms. So, do I just use a knife to take a little off at a time and let it defrost? Is there a better way to do this? It would be nice if it was portioned out a little more!

Hello all. I purchased my first package of blood worms for the goldies today, and was looking for some tips/advice. The package I got (Hikari frozen) is just a single ice block of blood worms. So, do I just use a knife to take a little off at a time and let it defrost? Is there a better way to do this? It would be nice if it was portioned out a little more!

That would probably be the best thing to do. I know that once you've thawed out the worms, you can leave it in the fridge for a couple of days, but I think it's much better to keep it frozen at all times until you thaw to feed. (Having 14 goldies and 3 bettas on my hand, I don't seem to have this problem :rofl)

For your two, you could cut the blocks into quarters and feed 1 quarter each time.

:) thanks, I just opened the package a little more and there are actually two pretty thin blocks (as opposed to one thick one), so it is easier than I thought to just break some off. I couldn't find the kind portioned out into cubes like I have seen everyone else has on here (these are just rectangular blocks in a baggy, not ideal)

I gotcha. Those actually work better if you need to have smaller portions.

Feeding advice:

Melt the chunk in a little bit of water first, so that ALL of the bloodworms are separate and individual. I quickly found that, if you feed the frozen chunk, the big piggies will eat that WHOLE chunk and the others will be left with nothing. When you have individual worms floating around, everyone gets a fair chance to get an even share.

I do the same thing ^ But sometimes get too impatient and dump in the whole chunk. Chaos scared the poop out of me when she gobbled down a whole cube and sat there for 5 minutes chewing on it.

^ :rofl oh my!

I suggest never feeding the food unless it is properly thawed and at room(water)temp. Otherwise it can lead to digestive issues.

.......Chaos scared the poop out of me when she gobbled down a whole cube and sat there for 5 minutes chewing on it.

Yeah, and there is absolutely NO way they would even CONSIDER spitting out some of it to make chewing easier.......

.......Chaos scared the poop out of me when she gobbled down a whole cube and sat there for 5 minutes chewing on it.

Yeah, and there is absolutely NO way they would even CONSIDER spitting out some of it to make chewing easier.......

Not a chance. She wants to cram EVEN MORE in her mouth :rofl :rofl :rofl

My babies (the pearlies and the panda tele) routinely gobble up too many pellets and then spit them back out, where they're fair game once again! :rofl

On bloodworms, I cut a piece off the cube (not easy and dangerous! Be careful - it's slippery!) I soak it in some tankwater, pour it off, then refill the little medicine cup I'm using with either tankwater or bottled.

It plumps up the worms nicely, and is what my package directions encourage (well, it says to soak 'em and rinse 'em!).

Works for me!

My babies (the pearlies and the panda tele) routinely gobble up too many pellets and then spit them back out, where they're fair game once again! :rofl

On bloodworms, I cut a piece off the cube (not easy and dangerous! Be careful - it's slippery!) I soak it in some tankwater, pour it off, then refill the little medicine cup I'm using with either tankwater or bottled.

It plumps up the worms nicely, and is what my package directions encourage (well, it says to soak 'em and rinse 'em!).

Works for me!

Jennie, are you using freeze-dried blood worms?

Nope - frozen. That's why I talked about cutting the cubes. Why do you ask?

Edited to add: Oh, it's because I used the word "plump", isn't it? I mean, it separates and yes, it makes them fuller, but I use frozen.

Edited by Jennie

Nope - frozen. That's why I talked about cutting the cubes. Why do you ask?

Edited to add: Oh, it's because I used the word "plump", isn't it? I mean, it separates and yes, it makes them fuller, but I use frozen.

Lol. That was it. I don't think I ever read the instructions on the package :o

Luckily, I've been doing something similar. I usually take a couple cubes, add some tank water to it, let it thaw before feeding :)

Hi all,

I take three blocks of frozen bloodworm and put them in a plastic tea strainer. I sit the tea strainer in some warm water and when the worms are all thawed out I push some into my small tropical tank, some more into the second tropical tank and then I hang the whole tea strainer into the large gold fish tank and let the water movement get some of the bloodworm out of the strainer to float about, and the ones that are caught up in the mesh are picked out by the fish.

Do not put the liquid from the frozen cubes into your tank as it surely carries nothing but nutrients.

All of my fish have frozen bloodworm twice a week.

Best regards Keith