Sign in to follow this  
tinca

Goldfish Flake

Hi all,

I am new to goldfish keeping but I frequently see the advice to add "a pinch" of food. When I was given my 300 litre tank which has about 20 various types of goldfish plus 2 stone loaches, my son wrote down the feeding instructions which said feed one pinch of food per day plus 12 sinking small pellets for the stone loach, and do not overfeed.

I opened the flake container and took a pinch to put on my hand to see what this mythical pinch looked like. I repeated this a few times and every time that I did it I got a very different amount of food. Some pinches managed to pick up more than other pinches.

Can someone advise me on what amount should I feed this ravenous hoard. I thought that I would weigh some food, the smallest amount that I could weigh was 1 gram. Now this turned out to be a mountain of food the my son would insist should be able to last the fish for months.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Best regards Keith

Edited by tinca

if the are average sized flakes i would go with 2-3 per fish. Or you can give them a pinch and see how long it takes for the food to be eaten. If it is 30 seconds to a minute you are fine. Longer than 2 minutes and you are over feeding.

Yeah, a few flakes per fish is probably best. It is tricky, especially when the pots say 'as much as can be eaten in a few minutes'. When I feed mine, they're probably swimming around the tank gobbling up food for 30 seconds - 1 minute or so. But they could probably wolf down double the amount of food in the same time being the greedy creatures they are! :P I believe I've heard goldfish should have the same amount of food as is equal to the size of their eye - in all honestly mine probably get a little more than that though, gotta be careful not to overfeed!

If you can get some sinking pellets instead that might be better. They tend to be more uniform in size and shape, so it's easier to know how much to give. Also they tend to be better for the fish - more nutritious :)

Flakes should always be soaked before you feed them to goldfish. Sinking pellets work best for goldfish. Not cheep but much healthier for them. Also don't forget to feed other things too. They like a varied diet.