Gummi Bear Is Severly Floaty

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 8

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 8.0

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? drops dont know brand cause i dont have the box

[*]Water temperature? usually between 75 and 77

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 80 gallons been running nearly a year about 9 months?

[*]What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? two penguin bio-wheel 400 plus a small whisper 30

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? every thursday i do about 80-85% of the water

[*]how many days ago was the last water change and how much? today i did 100 percent change

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 goldfish one about an inch one about 3 inches one is about 5 or 6 inches the other about 7 inches

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? jungle start right water conditioner

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? homemade gel food twice to 3 times per day

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? no

[*]List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. have only ever used melafix and salt

Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? no

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? floating littlerly upside down and isnt strong enough to right self even got stuck on the filter intake.

well we had issues with out electric company and had the electric turned off for a while so to save my fish i moved them all into my bf 55 gallon for a while where unfortunatly i could not get a test done. about 2 days ago in my bf tank gummie bear started getting floaty after spending a day gasping at the surface for air. i decided to stop feeding ehr for a day or two only to find her stuck to the filter intake tube and not even strong enough to right herself while upside down or really move her fins i did not exepect ehr to live but decided i had better get them all back into my tank so i made the 30 minute trip to take htem home a day early when i got home gummie bear was still alive so i acclimated her as best as i could them added her to my tank. this morning she is doing much better BUT she is still floating at the top of the tank. she is strong enough now to right herself and is swimming right side up even attempting to swim toward the bottom of the tank. but what should i do for her? ive never had a floaty fish before and she still seems in bad shape

Do you know how the water was at your boyfriend's place? The parameters, temperature, etc?

Have you fasted her since? Does she look bloaty? Have you seen her poop?

she has not eaten in 3 days

he stomach isnt bloated at all no pineconeing nothing like that. and i havent seen her poo in a long time i dont think she has pooed since sehs become floaty

oh also i tried giving her some peas but she either didnt like them or she is refusing to eat not sure since sehs never liked anything green (lettuce,spinich,cucomber)

and as far as my bf tank i wasnt able to do a teast on it my kit was here and i was there and once seh got stuck to the filter we brought her back into my tank.

from what i suspect and know of his tank

the temps are warm er then my own tank probably by a few degrees so probably around 78-79

he didnt have a bubble wand or air pump so there was much much less oxygen

hes had 2 oscars die in that tank within the past 2 years all of which seemingly having seizures then quit eating and die.

he has like a very thin layer of gravel and changes his filter cartridges ever 2 weeks(so theres no real biological buildup but i had my filters running on his tank)

Edited by xchairity_casex

I wonder if his nitrates were high...that can cause issues. But this seems like something more than swim bladder because he is refusing food. I would move into a shallow QT to protect him from the filters and give him a quiet place to rest. Then I would keep an eye on things for a bit.

should i be salting or anything? becuase this morning shes doing a whole lot better shes actually able to swim down to the bottom of the tank which really suprised me i was ertian she was going to die.

I definitely would not salt here, as I don't think it will be very helpful. Just keep your water pristine and increase the frequency of the water changes for the moment.

I'm glad to hear that Gummi Bear is doing better this morning :)

ok thanks! like ive said ive never dealt with a floaty fish before! im still pushing the peas i got up early this morning to prepare some she took a few nibbles but that was it :/ and i felt her tummy its not hard and its not soft it feels normal (thankfully!) and im SOOOO glad that about 3 weeks ago after reading a post talking baout a fishes tummy being squishy i decided to feel all my fishies tummies to feel what wa normal for them i will probably do another water change today of 95 percent

oh i was also wondering will she be prone to becomeing floaty now? becuase from waht i have ehard it seems like after they become floaty once they are kind of prone to it afterward?

Edited by xchairity_casex

I hope Gummi Bear continues to improve.

I must say I got a giggle from the thought of going into the tan to feel fishy tummies :)