What Kind Of Food Can Goldfish Eat?

Guest Goldfishluver

Guest Goldfishluver

I was just wondering what types of food my two small goldfish can have besides just flakes. I'm a paranoid fish owner so I've been careful and just added the flakes every morning and night.

But is there any safe food I can feed them and not worry about it? A list would be great and how much to feed them. I heard one guy on the internet say that he feeds them peas every time he feeds them and I don't think he feeds them anything else!

I know they say to vary their diet a little but I don't know if I should introduce new things gradually or do it all at once.

I feed mine, Hikari pellets or Omega One pellets( 5-6 each once per day), and homemade gel food (easy and inexpensive to make) recipes can be found in this thread, (I feed gel food once per day, a couple good mouthfuls each fish) and peas on Monday after fasting on Sunday (my water change day) Peas should be frozen, non-salted, cooked and squished out of the outer skin on the pea. One pea per fish.

Goldfish can eat most vegetables, after cooking until fairly soft. Gassy veggies like broccoli can cause floating in some fish.

Occasionally you can clip a 1/2 of a slice of orange in the tank, they love them. Or a blanched ( cook in boiling water for a minute) leaf of dark green lettuce or spinach or kale clipped in tank. They will love tearing it apart to eat. LOL

I was just wondering what types of food my two small goldfish can have besides just flakes. I'm a paranoid fish owner so I've been careful and just added the flakes every morning and night.

When i use flakes i soak them in some tank water for 1 minute before dumping into the tank. I use a shot glass or you can use any cup that you designate for fishBut is there any safe food I can feed them and not worry about it? A list would be great and how much to feed them. I heard one guy on the internet say that he feeds them peas every time he feeds them and I don't think he feeds them anything else!

Peas have no protein so only use it to help with digestion and as a snack

I know they say to vary their diet a little but I don't know if I should introduce new things gradually or do it all at once.

I change what they eat all week. I dont have a system but i just try to vary the selection

Arugula

Beet greens

Borage

Collard greens

Chard

Dandelion

Escarole

Garden cress

Kale

Kohlrabi greens

Mustard greens

Spinach

Turnip greens

Watercress

Cucumber

Zucchini

Broccoli flowers

Cauliflower

Thawed frozen peas or fresh boiled peas with the skins removed

Oranges

Grapes with skin removed

Kiwi fruit

Melons

Bananas

Strawberries

Brine shrimp

Plankton

Bloodworms

Cocktail shrimp

Chopped boiled eggs

You're free to try any veggie or fruit you can think of because they love many different kinds of greens and fruits. If they don't eat it, just take it out.

Rinse all veggies and fruits well before putting into tank.

Steam until quite soft hard veggies such as broccoli or cauliflower.

None of these foods should be seasoned in any way.

Take out anything that they don't show interest in or don't eat all of it.

Whether you feed flakes or pellets, you need to soak the food before feeding so that the goldfish don't get floaty or bloated.

Edited by Lynda Von G

Peas are a good source of vegetable protein. Green peas run about 7% protein, dried are about 25% protein. I wouldn't use them as an only food for a healthy fish, but they are a daily treat for my spoiled babies.