Mr Tuff

Helen

• Supporter

i went to the LFS today to complain about an article they had printed in the local paper about goldfish caring. they said it was ok to have PH at 6 - 6.5 and i didn't like that one bit.

after bringing it to their attention, the owner (who i've had dealings with before) came to assure me that they will re-run it correctly in next week's paper with the correct information and an apology to the public for the misleading information.

to compensate me for my time, he asked me to pic any betta i liked. i refused as i know nothing about them at all. never owned one, but he insisted.

so, carfully looking at his new shippment, i found one that i like and brought him home. he's living in a 5 gallon uncycled tank, will seed filter media this weekend coming. he also has 2 plants and a bubble wand. he has been actively foraging the plants, eaten some dried blackworms and now just chilling in my office.

here is Mr Tuff: (any idea what type betta he is?)

43dc5bc5.jpg

4e4f5688.jpg

4070c15c.jpg

37f29b5a.jpg

Very nice. He falls in the category of "crown tail" as his tail is shaped like a crown (spikey) Im not sure of the name of his color, in the picture he looks Red which is a term that is used. Actually bettas look different in pictures if there is a flash but i would say a crown tail for sure

Wow blink.gif. He is drool drop gorgeous!!!! ohmy.gif What a find biggrin.gif. I don't now if its just Fumis computer but that pillarbox red is so bright and sooooo beautiful, never seen anything like that! heartpump.gif

Congratulations on your new boy, always wanted to have a betta but as yet have not gotten around to it. They are so pretty.

• Supporter

thanks all :)

he sure is handsome Grace, thank you for your compliment :)

thank you Midnight, as i had selected him from their stock received today, he was yet to be sorted and labelled. so i had no idea what he is.. thank you for the information..

thanks Imo, on my computer screen, his colour shows probably about 3 shades brighter than what he actually is.

only thing i don't know is if current from the bubble wand is too much for him. towards the front of the tank, he seems fine, he manages without struggle to go and play in the bubbles, is this normal for a betta?

at the moment he's resting in the plants, up high, is this also normal? i really have no experience with them. until i can seed the filter, he will receive wc every other day..

what is the ideal temp for a betta fish? and can what other fish can i add to the 5 gallon (and how many of the same kind?)? or should i leave him solo in that?

cute!

if you have a small filter you don't need a bubbler. Long tails especially hate current. weekly or twice weekly water changes should also be enough. THey really don't pollute much :)

I keep my guys at 28C all the time and they are doing well at that temp.

Also, best feed gel, frozen and foods like that that dry ones - could lead to constipation.

Also, I didn't seed my filters and they were cycled in 2 weeks with 2weekly water changes :)

good luck

• Supporter

cute!

if you have a small filter you don't need a bubbler. Long tails especially hate current. weekly or twice weekly water changes should also be enough. THey really don't pollute much :)

I keep my guys at 28C all the time and they are doing well at that temp.

Also, best feed gel, frozen and foods like that that dry ones - could lead to constipation.

Also, I didn't seed my filters and they were cycled in 2 weeks with 2weekly water changes :)

good luck

thank you frederica! i really appreciate you help :bighug:bighug

• Supporter

he was resting in the leaves, perhaps the bubble wand was too much for him. i've reduced the amount of bubbles and he's come out again.. he looks happy.. i hope i can learn to keep him that way :)

it's nice to have some company on my desk :)

He is One Handsome Crowntail Betta Boy!!!Congrats to you both!!!They are solo fish but some do well with snails,they like warm water :) and are prone to jumping :( so a lid will be put to good use ;) some like to play in the bubbles some hate it,really depends on the fish...I hope he makes you happy for some time to come :) be careful as they are like potatoes chips some people can not just have one (LOL)

He's gorgeous! :) You'll really enjoy him Helen.

It is normal for them to rest in the plants. And, yes, be sure to cover the tank, totally (plastic screen is good for this) no holes at all, even block the intake area if you have a HOB filter. My Patience jumped out through the intake area on his tank. He didn't make it. :( I found him too late. Betta jump!

• Supporter

thanks shell :)

i am happy you mentioned the lid as for the past 5 hours, i didn't have it on, so i will grab it now as i am about to go to bed.

he's happily playing in the bubbles, and i am just as happy watching him.. he is rather lively :D and he really digs his plants! atm he's investigating the parts of the bubble wand that don't have bubbles :rolleyes: lol..

should i look at some small fish to put with him? perhaps one or two? and what would you recommend? or just leave him be? i'm happy to do either.

He's gorgeous! :) You'll really enjoy him Helen.

It is normal for them to rest in the plants. And, yes, be sure to cover the tank, totally (plastic screen is good for this) no holes at all, even block the intake area if you have a HOB filter. My Patience jumped out through the intake area on his tank. He didn't make it. :( I found him too late. Betta jump!

thanks red, running to get the lid now.. sorry to hear about patience :(

I have a Nerite Snail with my Betta in a ten gallon because they stay smaller than apple snails. I also have a ghost shrimp with him, but I started with two, he killed one the first day. It really depends on the temperament of the Betta if you can keep other creatures with him or not. Mine is fairly aggressive so I don't think I will ever try keeping another fish with him.