Sign in to follow this  
Midnight112x

Breeding Behavior?

so i have 2 fish in my 30 gallon. Tony stark is the little blue fantail that was afraid of Dexter (larger oranda) about 5 days ago. Now Tony keeps swimming up Dexter's butt area fairly often. Not aggresive but still kind of chasing this oranda who is about 10x tony's size.

The oranda just brushes it off like he its a little mosquto. Does this mean that tony is a male and dexter is a female? I dont have to worry about fry do i? From what i read, temperatures need to change etc...

It might mean that Tony is a male and Dexter a female, but you cannot be 100% just yet. I have one male fish that puts his head up the butt of every fish...male or female lol Check Dexter for an outie and Tony for breedig stars. If you do get fry and don't want them you can always dispose of the eggs.

The fish will eat the eggs if you don't want to raise fry.

It does sound like breeding behavior to me. The bigger rounder fish will get mistaken sometimes for female gender by some males oops.gif. So until she produces eggs or egg poop or you check as Ashlee suggests, you won't know for sure undecided.gif

I know what an "outie" is on humans. On a fish, is it in the same spot (relative of course)? i have 7 fish and cant tell the sex on any of them. I dont see breeding stars either.

i guess you should check the chaser one, pectoral fins and operculum. fine male should have breeding stars and if they dont, they're not ready to breed. you can keep on feeding them bloodworm to push sexual development :)

If you get a close pic of there pectoral fins I might be able to tell you :)

i will try. My fish are not easy to capture in a photo. Especially the little guy. He is a fast fantil. The Large Oranda is much easier