Sign in to follow this  
magpie14

Speed Racer Ranchu = Scraped Ranchu

My Ranchu looks like he might've bumped into something, one of his scales looks irritated and swollen. I'm thinking he bumped into something because he LOVES riding the current from one of the filters in his tank (he can't swim fast on his own because of how tight the curve is on his caudal pendicle). I have a big piece of fake wood that has lots of rounded edges on it for them to hide in, so I'm pretty sure this is what he ran into.

So my question is, what can I do to help him heal up nicely and make sure he isn't in too much pain (it looks like he's sore, he's not swimming around like a maniac like he usually does)? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

can you answer these questions first thanx :)

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]how many days ago was the last water change and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.

Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Answering as many of the questions posted above would be most helpful; and if you could get a picture of the said "irritation" that would be increadibly helpful as well. If you can't post any pictures, then where is it located? It sounds to me like he could have either a parasite or the beginnings of HITH disease/or dropsy.

I agree. Answering the questions will help. Sometimes frantic fast paced swimming can be a sign of something more.

I don't have exact numbers but...

Ammonia: Currently high

Nitrite: Unknown

Nitrate: Currently high

pH Tank: 6.2

pH Tap: 6.2

Testing: At fish shop, they use drops.

Water temp: 72 deg.

Tank size: 37 gallons, running ~3 months

Filters: 1 Aqueon (~250 gal/hr) 1 canister (~150 gal/hr)

Water Change: Weekly, 30%

Last Change: 4 days ago 30%

Medications: Salting (because of scale issue)

History: Kordon Rid Ich ~a week

Findings: Damaged scales, looks lifted and tissue underneath is slightly frayed and bloody.

Behavior: Hovering in the same place, near mid level in the tank. Looks like moving might hurt. Normally, he is more active, swimming around, playing with the bubbles and current made by the filters.

And I'll post a picture in a minute, as soon as I figure out how...

photo-1.jpg

Here's the picture. Its gotten worse since this morning... :(

photo-1.jpg

Here's the picture. Its gotten worse since this morning... :(

I'm thinking it might be the beginning of an ulcer, from an initial injury inflicted by running into a tank decoration.

How many fish in your tank? Something is going on to cause a cycle bump. High ammonia is quite deadly. You really need to buy a testing kit and test your water daily. You need to do daily water changes until you get that ammonia down and your cycle back in order. And then weekly changes of at least 50%. I'm also worried about your low PH...do you have any sort of buffer? I really think this is all related to water issues and that is causing you the reddness. When did you last use the Rid Ich...did you have ich? Have you ever treated with prazi?

The most immportant thing is clean water now. No meds should be used in non cycled tanks. Try and do daily water changes.

I only have two fish in the tank. I did a 95% water change after the ich cleared up and the only thing wrong after that was the ammonia. But now the nitrate is up. I added a pound of crushed coral to help with the pH issues. I'll do 50% water changes until things level out. Until then, is there anything I can do to help the owie on his side?

Usually adding a bit of salt to the tank water helps healing of injuries BUT only if there is no ammonia present. So I do not recommend this in your case.

A fully cycled tank never should show ammonia or nitrite, only nitrate as end product and these should be kept below 20ppm.

To be able to monitor this, you should get a drop test kit. A bit expensive at first with around 30 - 35 bucks, but the API freshwater master test kit contains more than 800 tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and high pH. So that's actually a good deal :)

Plus drops are much more accurate than strips.

Keeping the water pristine is the most important thing. To get your ammonia etc down as close to zero as possible, you will have to do another huge water change like you did after ick.

I wonder what caused the cycle bump. What media do you use? The filter cartridges that you need to replace every few weeks? They can cause bad cycle bumps too.