Holy Daphnia!

Smurfishy

I have been keeping a large bucket of water hyacinth and lettuce and harvesting mosquito larva for my fry from this everyday. Then I started noticing other life starting with worms that looked like tiny white thread that after research seemed to be planaria but now I think were tubifex worms, there are always a few that I get out of the bucket everyday, then there is this other weird bug that is a mystery, and I believe I just identified daphnia. They are round, like a complete circle and darting evrywhere, they look green to brown, and are tinier than the tip of a pencil. I seem to harvest dozens of these tiny round bugs everyday. The weird bug is black or nearly so, is round seems to be curling in and there is some evidence of a curly tail it can propel from that I almost never see unless my fishys are going after them, no antenna that I can see. They are maybe quarter the size of a grain of rice.

I feed the fry this atleast once a day and follow up with frozen brine shrimp, and I did use crushed pellets until the sitter quandered it, and dried seaweed here and there. I am wondering if I might keep this bucket teeming with life even through the winter? Minus the mosquito larva of course. I know the hyacinth is tropical and will die off in winter, dont know about the lettuce. I was thinking of maybe trying for a green water tank that I can let the buggies grow in, but I was planning on letting the goldies swim in from time to time, and think this might kill off all the bugs too quickly.

Sounds like a good idea to grow your own bugs. Don't know if it will work, but please keep us posted.

mj