Need Help!

Guest LeasH

Okay so im new to the world of goldfish owning and to this site (HI!) i have been doing as much research as possible but i have a possible dilemma between 2 of my goldie's. I own 8 gold fish in a big 100 liter tank. 4 of them i have had for a few months and 4 i bought over the weekend. The new one's seemed to settle in fine but this morning when i woke up i noticed 1 shubunkin harassing my big comet. I looks like he is trying to mate with her (she has been getting slightly rounder over the last couple of weeks) BUT... He has absolutely NO spots on him what so ever and i would have thought he would be a little too small to breed(About 2 1/2 inches long)? So i need suggestion's. Could he be trying to get her to lay egg's and what would be the best way to sort these 2 out? I do have a spare 2 foot tank i could put them both in but if she is trying to lay eggs i have no clue to go about helping her and dealing with fry!!! HELP!!!!

Edited by LeasH

Hi and welcome to Koko's! I have some bad news for you. Your tank is not large enough for 8 goldfish. 100 liters (about 26 gallons) is only large enough for two fancy goldfish or one single tail goldfish. So your tank is drastically overstocked right now. The one fish harassing the other could be breeding behavior, but more likely it's aggression from the cramped quarters. I would start by returning/rehoming most of your fish back to the pet store. Just pick the two (if they're fancies) or one (if single tail) that you most want to keep and get rid of the others. It may be difficult to do, but it's for the best.

You can check out this link for some good basic goldfish info to get you started:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/care.html

i agree. When i had too many fish in a small tank there was a lot of aggressive bevavior. My advice is to return some fish, buy a bigger tank, or buy a temporary container like a giant rubbermaid until you can afford a new tank. I have 7 fish in 2 tanks.1 tank is 55 gallon with 5 fish and the other is 29 gallon with 2 fish.

Hello and welcome to Koko's! I can only agree with what has been said, it is very likely that your fish are unhappy and aggressive. Either decreasing the number of fish or upgrading the tank is in need. Upgrading means A LOT of water volume though, 10 gallon for each fancy and 20 gallon for each single tail is what is recommended.

They might have been doing fine in your tank so far because they were still little, but will outgrow this tank very quickly. Fancies grow to 6-10 inches, and single tails 8-12 inches.