Midnight112x

Aqueon Filter Vs. Aqua Clear

I know the aquaclear filters have more room for biomedia, but their intakes do not stretch down very far into your tank. For example, My 29 gallon has one filter (for now), the aquaclear 70 and the gravel gets real dirty, real fast.

My 55 gallon has the aquaclear 50 on one side and on the other i have the aqueon 55. The side with the aquaclear always has filthy gravel, while the aqueon side has cleaner gravel. The aqueon intake can almost touch the bottom

I don't really understand this...are you wanting to start I discussion? Or just saying what you have noticed? Sorry to sound like a witch...I just don't understand.

You can always get an extender for the AC.

Same here.....I use extensions on all of mine. I'm a staunch supporter of Hagen AquaClear filters. Aqueon filters work well but don't even come close to an AquaClear. Try getting an extension or two to bring the filter stem closer to the bottom of your tank and I think you'll see a big difference! :thumb:

Have you switched the filters to test your theory. You also have a 25% increase in flow on the Aqueon filter. I would buy an AC over the Aqueon.

I have 4 extension tubes on my AC 50 to reach the bottom of my tank. You can buy the extensions at most pet stores that carry AC filters. :)

Im new to the AC filter but the extensions are pretty easy on these filters, and to get them is easy too:) Now for alot of other filters the size of the intake causes a problem to extend them. The AC filters are round so you could even use hosing from a garden store to extend or pvc pipe, just need to get the right size. Now my other filter is a square intake and extending that is well not going to happen. :(

i was just starting a discussion about something i noticed , not bashing any filter by any means. :yeah:

i didnt know they sold seperate extensions, i will go pick some up. Another point i will make about my aqeuon is that the water seems to trickle at a better angle. It creates more of a ripple effect on top of the water. If i take out the carbon inserts, i can almost fit just as much media into the aqeuon. The aqeoun might have a little more flow, but i believe at my fish store here the prices were equal.

aqeon filters are hard to spell. I think i type it differently every time. The purpose of the pos was just to hear everyones thoughts, thats all. Im still learning from most of you guys here anyways...

Discussions on filters are always good :)

I have one Aqueon and five AquaClears. Although I love my ACs, the Aqueon also works fine. The extensions definitely are good investments.

I got neither Aqueon nor AquaClears, but from what I hear the AC are really good. And I saw them run in person, an AC110. Well, two of them in fact and they were as silent as Christmas Night.

As for the extensions, I am more the DIY type of person. I'd probably get black pvc pipe (if the filter intake is black) and make my own extension. I personally am not crazy about how the aquaclear filter intake extensions look, but that's just personal taste :)

that is another point Fang, the looks of them. The aqeoun has a motor box (wrong terminology) that resides in the water (not pretty) and is black, while the AC filter does not have this bulky box, but has an ungly shape to the intake.

I just noticed Koko started a discussion about marineland vs. Aqua clear, after writing my initial post, coincidence

hehe :lol

Midnight, my Whisper EX filters have this motor box also. Not the prettiest things, but I prefer it over the look of the AC intakes.

But that wouldn't be anything that would keep my from switching to ACs. I just am simply happy with the Whisper EX series. They are very quiet, although not as quiet as the ACs, but hold a lot of media. One of the reasons probably being the fact that the motor box is in the tank and not inside the filter, I guess. And I like the look of the black intake pipe and the design of the intake basket.

i had the whisper in my 20 gallon tank and the intake was pretty nice looking. this was pre-kokos earlier this year when my ammonia was at 8ppm. The filter was pretty quiet

I'm happy with my Aqueon's but do wish the intakes were a bit longer ;) been talking with hubby and he's thinking of a diy to extend them :) but might as well wait to see what comes with the new 29H's ;)

I'm happy with my Aqueon's but do wish the intakes were a bit longer ;) been talking with hubby and he's thinking of a diy to extend them :) but might as well wait to see what comes with the new 29H's ;)

your aqeuon has a short intake? Whats "29H"? Havent seen that lingo yet

I too have both an Aqueon (QuietFlow 55) and an AquaClear (110) on my 60 gallon fancy tank...

Nice to see you around. :hi

This thread is more than two years old, so it may be that you don't get a response. Try to check the dates before replying, so that we don't bring up really old threads. :)

On 7/16/2013 at 12:02 PM, yafashelli said:

Nice to see you around. :hi

This thread is more than two years old, so it may be that you don't get a response. Try to check the dates before replying, so that we don't bring up really old threads. :)

Wasn't really looking for a response; was just sharing what I have.