Sign in to follow this  
Acro

Dried Bakery Product

So what is up with the "dried bakery product" listed on various Hikari foods?

What is "dried bakery product" exactly and what benefit is it to fish?

I picture a bakery grinding up all the stale baguettes, danishes, and crumpets and then sending the crumbs off to the Hikari factory...but I know that couldnt be...or could it?

Anybody know?

That is the same that I imagined when I read the ingredients list. I don't know for sure if that's what it is though, but what else could it be? I liked the Hikari foods, but switched back to Omega One sinking pellets. I like their ingredients list much more.

I'm intrested to know what that is as well. I've just recently ordered Hikari to try out on my goldies but I may switch back to Pro-Gold if I don't see better defined coloration and growth as they claim to enhance.

I have to agree that "dried bakery product" sounds way too vague and may indeed be leftovers from production of other items. Kind of how you never want to see things like "meat meal" or "poultry fat" listed in your dog/cat food -- too vague.

When I first got my goldfish I had to feed them Aqueon Color Enhancing food because it was the only sinking pellet I could find. There color didn't change and they were growing slow. When I found Hikari I switch to Lionhead. I use to breed African Cichlids and Hikari was all I feed with great results. When I switched to Lionhead they started growing faster and their color became more solid. When the bag of Lionhead ran out I switched to Saki-Hikari Color Enhancing. I have noticed a massive color increase. The reds and oranges are really bright. The color started in a couple of days. My blue also seams more bold and the blacks are really dark. I am very impressed so far.

"Bakery Meal or Dried Bakery Byproduct is a nutritious feed ingredient composed of various inedible bakery products. These products are sorted by analysis, mix-specific formulations, process and then dry these formulations into uniform products. Bakery Meal is a high-energy feed ingredient used mainly as a corn-soy-fat replacement.Animals confirm Bakery Meal has many intrinsic nutritional attributes and unidentified growth factors. Bakery Meal is manufactured in compliance with FDA 21 CFR 589.2000 and does not contain any prohibited mammalian protein."

From what I also gathered, "inedible bakery products" means things like the shaft, the hull, the husk, the unused portions of the wheat or other grains.

I wonder if there is a difference between "Bakery Meal/Dried Bakery BYproducts" and "Dried Bakery Products".

I agree with Chris, the color enhancing with the purple Hikari was amazing. But I didn't like how yellow patches started developing on Vanille's white belly. Another thing I didn't like is that the top ingredients, except for one, are all starchy stuff. I mean already the third ingredient in the Hikari is wheat flour. Really??

http://www.kokosgold...really-so-good/

Just so you guys know, I am in no way bashing the Hikari food. It is excellent food for sure, but I noticed less floaty issues with Vanille when she had the Hikari replaced by Omega One.

My work suggests Omega One because it's all water-based ingredients, not land-based. Fish don't eat what horses eat.

My work suggests Omega One because it's all water-based ingredients, not land-based. Fish don't eat what horses eat.

That's probably really sound advice. Makes perfect sense when you think about it like that.

That said, I'm not anti-Hikari at all. Loved the Betta Bio-Gold when I kept bettas. But I had the same experience as Fang with color changes to my light-colored goldfish when I fed Hikari, particularly Saki-Hikari (even though I didn't feed the color-enhancing formula) -- my white fish started getting orangey blotches (not the uniform kind that result from color changes, but more "smeary" looking), which went away when I eliminated Hikari from their diet. I'm a diehard Pro-Gold fan. ;)

:goodpost guys - I'm liking this thread.

Very interesting... :)

I had issues with the orange spots as well. I liked the food and the fish loved the purple pack, but I hated the color streaking.

Good thoughts everyone.

However, I started sending emails to Hikari, about the time I started this post. I asked: "What is the "dried bakery product" listed on various Hikari foods? And what benefit is it to fish?"

After the third email they replied with this today:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for your support of

our products. This is a term required by the regulating agency of the state

inspectors' offices around the US. It is a combination of dairy items used

as part of the formulation to allow us to meet the formulation balance and

texture we require.

The Hikari Customer Service Team

Please share your thoughts . . . I am not sure what mine are . . .

The only issue I have with Hikari is that it's made in bulk in Japan. This means that it could be sitting for long periods of time in warehouses, on ships/planes for shipment, in pet store back-stock, and so on. I buy Pro-Gold because it's made in the US (support American economy woohoo!), and it's fresh-made by a small company who you buy it directly from. My goldfish love it, and I've noticed tremendous growth in them. It's also inexpensive.

I don't care too much about color-enhancing, because it doesn't really improve the health of my fish. I just care about fresh ingredients for healthy goldfish. :)

I was asking for thoughts on their reply, not on Hikari foods in general. :P

I was asking for thoughts on their reply, not on Hikari foods in general. :P

I think there were too many formulations in their formulation of a reply :o

It is a combination of dairy items used as part of the formulation...

Dairy? For goldfish? That's definitely not something they could ever encounter in a pond. Just sayin'.

Not unless theres a wondering cow around :lol