Sign in to follow this  
gfish605

Baking Soda As A Buffer?

I just read below about buffers and this person doesn't say how much baking soda and how many times to apply in the tank. I have a 36 gallon tank in which my PH crashes all the time. It rises to 8.0 and after a water change it goes back to normal but it crashes again. Does anyone know about this?:

I also understand that most bros use baking soda.I have corals and oyster shell in my filtration.My question is,are these "alkaline" items acting as a buffer (raising pH)?They were put in during my tank setup at the recommendation from my friend who keeps koi.(koi and goldfish same family).I noticed that oyster shells will dissolve in the water over time.So,can baking soda be substituted by these items?

Although koi and goldfish are in the same "family", they are vastly different when it comes to how we keep them. Koi thrives in large deep pond with massive amount of water that is measure by the tonnage instead of litres. Sometimes it's best not to follow Koi's keeper's advise. For instance, they prize PP as a general treatment while we prefer salt. This is understandable as PP is very economical to use compared to raising the salinity to 0.5% for a 2 tons pond, ie, 20KG of salt for a "small" koi pond!

Also it's important to remember not many koi keeper can afford to do 100% water change ever so often much less once a week like we do. Whatever they use in their filtration system need to last.

Realizing above, it's easy to see why goldfish keepers don't use coral chips to buffer their tank's water. It works but the chip dissolve too slowly. Before it actually start working it's time for us to change the water again. You're wasting your money even though the chip is relatively cheaper than baking soda. It works for koi keeper since they seldom change their water completely.

My advise is to use Baking Soda to buffer your goldfish tank's water. It works instantly. The kH is changed almost instantaneously, a fact you can verify by testing it seconds after blending in the powder and makes adjusting the dosage quick and easy.

To me, having some coral chips in your goldfish tank is... fine as an inexpensive bio-media to house BB! But then I don't appreciate fine dusts settling at the bottom and risk damaging the impeller of the water pump. I also have this problem that seeing a bag of coral chips in a tank reminds me of a typical louhan setup.

Baking soda does not buffer but can be used in an emergency. You would have to keep adding baking soda over and over again to keep the pH up. Instead, you will have to buy a product that says it is a "buffer."

My pH is 6.8 but crushed coral keeps it up to 7.6-7.8.

Yes, baking soda is instantaneous, that's why it isn't good. It works too fast, raises the pH too fast, which isn't good for the fish, but it also loses effectiveness too fast and can disappear in only a day or so. So, it isn't a buffer per that description. Baking soda is calcium chloride. It doesn't have the necessary ingredients to remain long lasting. You need a calcium carbonate, which is what your akaline buffers specifically designed for aquarium use do. Furthermore, these products raise, not only your pH, which is ONLY what baking soda does, but they also raise your KH, which is the more important feature of the pH/KH/GH triad. The focus shouldn't be on just pH. It must also be on your KH and GH.

As far as knowing how much to add, there isn't a standard dosing amount because it will differ with each and every aquarium depending on how large it is, what sort of decorations you have in there, i.e., rocks, gravel, crushed coral, driftwood, as well as how deficient your water is to start with.

The aquarium alkaline buffers give a suggested beginner's dose, but you have to keep adding and increasing the amount you add until you obtain the results you are looking for. For example, I have a 55 gallon tank. I had great pH at 8.4, but KH and GH were at 5 drops/degrees or about 80 ppm. Waaaay too low! I originally started adding Buff-It-Up at the suggested initial dose of..... 1? 1 1/2 tsp? per 10 gallons? Whatever it was. I did this for 3 days, I believe. It barely raised the KH. I doubled the dose for for a couple more days. The KH raised a little bit more, but still not enough. I kept increasing the dose each day until I obtained my desired results, which are 15 drops/degrees, or about 250 ppm. II ran out of the Buff-It-Up and the only thing I could find at the store was a cichlid buffer, but, for me, this actually works a little bit better than the Buff-It-Up did. So you also have to try out different akaline buffer products to see which works best for you. When you do your water changes, you are removing at least half or more of the buffer you added, depending on how large your water change, so you will need to replenish the buffer after each water change. So, you need to keep track of all of the different amounts you added each day and add them up so you can come up with a final amount. For instance, by the time I was done raising my KH to my desired level, I determined that I need to add 3 Tablespoons of akaline buffer after each water change. Your situation may require much less, it might require more. It's just all very individual.

Edited by Lynda Von G

Baking soda does not buffer but can be used in an emergency. You would have to keep adding baking soda over and over again to keep the pH up. Instead, you will have to buy a product that says it is a "buffer."

My pH is 6.8 but crushed coral keeps it up to 7.6-7.8.

How would you use crushed coral in my 36 gallon tank?

How would you use crushed coral in my 36 gallon tank?

You need to read some of the responses to your other threads because these questions have been answered in those.

Take a look at your thread: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/93898-ok-so-how-do-you-really-do-a-water-change/page__p__1098887__hl__%2Bkh+%2Bhouse+%2Bfoundation__fromsearch__1#entry1098887 You will get an answer about how to use crushed coral and you will also get some more detailed information on pH, KH and GH.

Hey Lynda, where did you get baking soda is calcium chloride? I've always thought it was sodium bicarbonate...just wondering.

Anyway, you can add crushed coral to your filter. I would try 1/2 cups per 20 gallons. Or 1 cup for your tank. Just add the coral to a media bag or stocking and then put that in your filter. I have mine in knee highs from the grocery store.

Hey Lynda, where did you get baking soda is calcium chloride? I've always thought it was sodium bicarbonate...just wondering.

Anyway, you can add crushed coral to your filter. I would try 1/2 cups per 20 gallons. Or 1 cup for your tank. Just add the coral to a media bag or stocking and then put that in your filter. I have mine in knee highs from the grocery store.

I'm an idiot! I was reading something about baking soda AND calcium chloride and said that instead. Yeah, it IS sodium bicarbonate, but...... my point still, duh.... is that it's calcium carbonate that is needed... I'm such a dumb bunny......

thanks Ashlee! you are so cool.

Dont worry Lynda I have done that too :)

Yes if your Ph drops a few days after a water change this means your KH is to low and the ph and the fish are consuming the minerals in the water. So you need like Lynda said a Buffer that will help keep the kh up there. :)

where did you buy your crushed coral, which brand do you recommend? I doubt it but do they sell it at petco or petsmart?

I bought mine at a lfs for $20. I saw it later that day at petsmart for like $12. It was in the saltwater section.

ok great so buy some corel from the pet store thanks guys!

I have a 36 gallon tank in which my PH crashes all the time. It rises to 8.0 and after a water change it goes back to normal but it crashes again.

Would you explain a bit more about what happens? What pH is "normal" to you? What is the pH of your tap water? Here's why I'm confused. Usually, a pH "crash" means a drop in pH into the dangerous <7 range. And the answers you are getting above mostly about how to keep your pH from dropping. But you seem to be saying the pH of your tap water is less than 8 and your tank pH drifts up to 8. Is that right?

A pH of 8 is excellent for goldfish. The only problem I can see is if your tap water has a much lower pH. Then a large water change could produce a pH shock. How often do you change water, and how much water do you change? What is the pH of the water after that change? How long does it take to rise to pH 8?

Shakaho, since the OP started the thread a year ago and has not been active for 11+ months, you may not get a response to your question...

Shakaho, since the OP started the thread a year ago and has not been active for 11+ months, you may not get a response to your question...

Very true...

Duh. I thought the guy who posted just before me was the OP. LOL.

Duh. I thought the guy who posted just before me was the OP. LOL.

Hun not your fault at all, new member brought it up... :hug