Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
kortniee

What The Flying Bloodworm Is On My Driftwood?

Recommended Posts

Peanut is doing just fine at the moment, but I put this here because I thought possibly all the tank info would be useful. Feel free to move it, though, if that's wrong. :)

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0.5

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 10

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.5 (KH 5 (89.5ppm), GH 7 (125.3ppm))

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? At least 8.8, which is as high as the high range test goes. (KH 4 (71.6ppm), GH 5 (89.5ppm)). It's horribly buffered so it falls very quickly after coming out of the tap.

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Drops

[*]Water temperature? 75 deg F

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20 gallon Long, running since Tuesday 8/16, goldfished since Thursday 8/18

[*]What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aquaclear 50 (200gph)

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? I was doing either 60% or 80% every 4 or 5 days with the old tank. Params were 0/0/5-10 for the previous weeks. Have not changed the water since I started this new tank because there is more Ammonia in my tap water than in my tank. (Tap water tests 1ppm Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 5ppm Nitrate). I did re-dose with Prime though.

[*]how many days ago was the last water change and how much? 2 days ago I moved Peanut to his new tank and used about 80% new water.

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 fish, about 1.5 inches without tail

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime for new water. I also added 2tsp Seachem Alkaline Buffer (the normal dose) yesterday because I recently got a KH/GH test kit and discovered that my KH could stand to be higher.

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Mostly Hikari Lionhead sinking pellets. Also sometimes freeze-dried tubifex. And veggies. Nothing but the sinking pellets since I changed tanks, though.

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? Nope.

[*]Any medications added to the tank? Nope.

[*]List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Never had to use anything.

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Fish is perfectly fine.

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Nope. Happy fishy. :)

This morning I noticed this odd-looking yellow growth on my driftwood. I did not notice it yesterday. If it were green, I'd say it were maybe algae, but it's really yellow. Like... sunflower yellow. I did find out that yellow algae is a thing, but it seems to be more of a swimming pool issue than an aquarium issue. I have two other pieces of driftwood and a rock, and there is no yellow stuff on any of those, nor anywhere else in the tank. I have had some ongoing brown algae, but not too bad.

I plan to get rid of most of my driftwood soonish. I have two softer pieces, one of which is the piece with the yellow gunk on it, that seem to be sort of falling apart in an annoying but not offensive way--just a couple shards of wood I have to vacuum up when I water change. I soaked all my driftwood for a LONG time before adding it to a tank, and it's never stained my water or affected my pH (which has been the same 7.5 since I set up the tank). I have one smallish interesting looking harder-wood piece that I would like to keep around. I can just take out this piece of driftwood, and maybe also the other one, but I don't know that the driftwood is the problem, so it may just be treating the symptoms. Anyone have any idea what this is?

driftwoodgunk.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think it's yellow algae. Most pictures of yellow algae seem to be floating masses.

Could it be a fungus?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a fungus to me. Shouldnt be a problem. If it bothers you , just take out the wood and scrape it off. Ive had some white fungus stuff grow on wood before, but my bristlenose pleco would clean it off so I never had to worry about it. Or, you could soak the wood in salt water for a while to kill off the fungus.

Keep us updated on what you do!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it were mine I would clean it off just to be safe. Then keep an eye on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah I might take it out and clean it, Ive never seen that before :o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since I've been thinking about getting rid of most of my driftwood anyway, I decided to just take out the two pieces I was going to get rid of, one of which is the piece with the possible fungus. I went to a new (to me) LFS today and picked up some interesting looking rocks to use instead. They had goldfish there of reasonable quality, actually, though not much variety. So that's exciting. New place to look for new finkids in the future.

I will keep an eye out for this stuff, though. It was really ugly and kind of alarmingly yellow, which I thing made me extra squeamish about it. I :heart my Peanut and I'm probably overly paranoid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like crumbled up fish food to me like accumulated left overs but that can't be what self respecting goldfish leaves behind leftovers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine wouldnt :lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
:rolleyes: either would my monsters :rofl Edited by stakos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like crumbled up fish food to me like accumulated left overs but that can't be what self respecting goldfish leaves behind leftovers?

Lol. So true. My goldfish would never leave behind even one morsel :rofl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be interesting if you put the wood in another tank (or a bucket) and let the fungus grow out . . .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Peanut tries to eat everything in his aquarium at least once a day. ("Maybe today it'll be delicious!") 'Cept he didn't touch this stuff, which is part of the reason I was freaked out about it. So I doubt it was even a little edible.

It would be interesting to see what it grows into but I don't actually have any extra buckets/tanks to put it in, and I don't think I'd buy one just for that purpose. :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
  • Create New...