Saving The Lives Of Goldfish

Guest Visitor63

Guest Visitor63

Hi there,

I'll admit, I'm not a regular user of this forum - just a visitor, but there are some goldfish out there that I think, need help.

To cut a long story short - we're looking to buy a house and visited one today. Not interested in the house, but was very concerned about a pond in the front garden with about 15 goldfish in. Most were up on the surface, mouths wide, seemingly grabbing air. The owner has left the house, real estate agent is feeding the fish. There's no pump, the pond is mostly under cover (no rain), there was thick slimy green stuff on the top of the water, and I must admit, the water looked pretty stagnant. Phoned an aquarium/fish place, they reckoned, the fish probably needed oxygen, but they suggested, "not my problem". Still troubling me tho', keep thinking about those fish, possibly dying, or at least living, very uncomfortably.

Anyone got any ideas? Could oxygen be a problem? Not sure what my options are. Is there a quick fix I could implement without being had up for trespassing? I'm tempted to call the real estate agent, explain the problem and offer to take the fish off his hands, but I've not got enough room in my pond for more than about 3 or 4 fish, and I can't just "rescue" them and let them loose anywhere.

Replies very much appreciated - I know I might be thought of as a bit weird (that's not unusual) but I cant' sleep thinking about those fish.

Cheers,

rjc

Hello and welcome to Koko's!

You're not weird, in fact I believe that you fit in here pretty well! LOL

I don't think there's anything like a quick fix. The best fix probably would be a pond filter with some sort of umbrella "waterfall" type of thing. It would filter the pond, and add surface movement/oxygenation.

Or as a minimum thing, adding more water to the pond. Carefully to not stir up nasty stuff that might be in there, but filling it up as much as possible to dilute toxins and add oxygen.

I think it is very irresponsible of the previous owners to just leave the pond and fish behind like that.

Guest Visitor63

Hello and welcome to Koko's!

You're not weird, in fact I believe that you fit in here pretty well! LOL

I don't think there's anything like a quick fix. The best fix probably would be a pond filter with some sort of umbrella "waterfall" type of thing. It would filter the pond, and add surface movement/oxygenation.

Or as a minimum thing, adding more water to the pond. Carefully to not stir up nasty stuff that might be in there, but filling it up as much as possible to dilute toxins and add oxygen.

I think it is very irresponsible of the previous owners to just leave the pond and fish behind like that.

A few fish shops where i am not the chain stores openly will take on free goldfish to sell on, maybe worth a try in your area.

Edited by Geeros