Sign in to follow this  
waffles01

Care For Young Oranda

I don't believe I've ever had a goldfish this small and young. He can't be anymore than 1 inch in total size. Is there any thing thing I should be careful with a small oranda? Feeding? Water changes? Filter output?

This is also the first time I've ever owned an oranda, so I'm really excited. :)

First of all........PICTURES OF THIS BABY IS NEEDED>>>ASAP!!!

And care is just keeping the water fresh & clean, feeding good quality goldie food & make sure there is nothing the lil' tiny guy can get stuck in....they are masters of getting into tight places!! Good Luck!

And..........don't forget the pictures!

If it makes you feel better, rubberband a piece of pantyhose over the filter intake a few times. Watch and observe if the filter current is giving him problems. If he swims around happily, then he's fine. If he hangs out on the bottom or in the corners a lot or you actually see him being pushed around, muffle the filter outlet with floss.

But you might have to observe for this for a while. When I got my tiny angelfish and had them in their QT tub, they seemed fine with the filter, but the next morning I found one of them literally being pushed all over the tub by the filter current. She must have gotten so exhausted from the current that she just gave up, so I muffled the outlet and within an hour she was back to her old self.

Point is: it might take a little while to figure out if the current is too strong. :)

Food: small, but more frequent feedings if you want the fish to grow. Like only 2 pellets at a time, but if you can, feed every three to four hours.

Last but not least:

PICS ASAP!

I don't have any places he could get stuck in....so that's good! :D

I watched him closely for a few days...and it looks like he's okay with the current.

I'm feeding him two pre-soaked pellets at a time for every 3 hours and I notice that he'll spit some out and go fetch the spit out food and swallow it again. He'll repeat this process repeatedly, is this anything I should be worried about?

waffles, my fish do that and they are all healthy and well. They try to stuff as much food as they can in their mouths at once. They dont really have a lot of teeth like we do. From what i understand they have small "teeth" towards the back of their mouth. Its normal

Spitting food out could be indicative of irritation in the mouth or gills, and may suggest flukes/parasites when seen with other symptoms.

Waffles, does this spitting occur all the time? Have you observed any darting, flashing, or excessive yawning?

Spitting food out could be indicative of irritation in the mouth or gills, and may suggest flukes/parasites when seen with other symptoms.

Waffles, does this spitting occur all the time? Have you observed any darting, flashing, or excessive yawning?

Hmm.......the spitting occurs every time I feed him two pellets, I'll try to test out feeding him only one pellet at a time and see what happens.

And I haven't seen him darting, flashing or yawning.

Hmm.......the spitting occurs every time I feed him two pellets, I'll try to test out feeding him only one pellet at a time and see what happens.

And I haven't seen him darting, flashing or yawning.

Edit: Oops, I accidentally did a double post. Sorry about that!

Edited by waffles

hello my friend, nothing to worry.

you should just keep the water good and you wont be troubled. and consider the space too.. dont buy another fish if your tank not larger than 12 gallons. if you take care on him seriously, he can grow up to 1cm/month. good luck :)